aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

This is one of the nerdiest things I've ever done, but with the help of Excel I am keeping track of all the Stephen King books I've read. Including novellas, short story collections, co-written books, non-fiction and The Dark Tower series, he has 75 books, of which I've only read 31. My goal for 2016 is to add another 25 to that. (I need to read some other stuff too).

This would probably be a better post on the Stephen King forum I post on. I'm going to go talk to them about this.

I was going to put it in the classics thread but:

I also got through Thomas De Quincey's Confessions of an English Opium Eater. There's tonnes of Western pop-culture about the use of all kinds of hard drugs, from Naked Lunch to Trainspotting (and that just about heroin), but I was curious about 19th-century opium (it having huge importance to 19th-century Asian history, in which I have a bit of an interest; it's also central to the majestic novel Sea of Poppies I posted about recently) and it was enticingly slim.

The first half is a patchwork autobiography. The guy seems to have thought of a lot of himself, and was enormously verbose and waffle-y I think even by standards of the day. So this part was a bit of an ordeal to get through. The second part, about both the "pleasures" and the "pains" of opium was a lot more worthwhile. Some interesting bits about getting high and then going to take in the opera (I'm vaguely reminded of the legalise-drugs thread a while back on here...). OK-ish.

Edited by scottyboy

I was going to put it in the classics thread but:

I also got through Thomas De Quincey's Confessions of an English Opium Eater. There's tonnes of Western pop-culture about the use of all kinds of hard drugs, from Naked Lunch to Trainspotting (and that just about heroin), but I was curious about 19th-century opium (it having huge importance to 19th-century Asian history, in which I have a bit of an interest; it's also central to the majestic novel Sea of Poppies I posted about recently) and it was enticingly slim.

The first half is a patchwork autobiography. The guy seems to have thought of a lot of himself, and was enormously verbose and waffle-y I think even by standards of the day. So this part was a bit of an ordeal to get through. The second part, about both the "pleasures" and the "pains" of opium was a lot more worthwhile. Some interesting bits about getting high and then going to take in the opera (I'm vaguely reminded of the legalise-drugs thread a while back on here...). OK-ish.

If you like books about drugs i'd recommend Howard Mark's Book of Dope Stories. Excerpts from stories from different ages, cultures etc. Including the Opium Eater one. Very good toilet read, varied in terms of style and easy to pick up and find something to suit your mood.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Felt pretty easy when I did it in Higher English. Really good too: like I said in the classics thread, still sticks in the mind as one the 20th century big names that I've enjoyed the most (just read it the once).

Much better, and certainly much more prescient than 1984. The latter might have really nailed the Stalinist state (still extant in... North Korea) but Brave New World describes what you now see in modern China, anywhere like it, and probably for a long time yet.

• Upvote 1