aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Currently reading 'Outpost' by Adam Baker. A small disparate group of workers are trapped on an oil refinery rig in the Arctic Circle. Intermittent news reports reveal some form of plague is devastating the outside world. Shaping up to be an OK read although quite clearly derivative of both '28 Days Later' and 'The Thing'.

Last book read was 'Hallelujah!: The Extraordinary Story of Shaun Ryder and Happy Mondays' which wasn't so much of a detailed story but rather a collection of anecdotes concerning drug-fuelled shenanigans. Always knew he was a full on druggie but never realised he sunk as low as he did at one stage following the demise of the Mondays.

24-06-2008:

I am reading Wuthering Heights.

09-09-2009:

I started Wuthering Heights a while ago but I struggled to get into it and it's been sitting with a bookmark in the same place for a few months now.

22-09-2009:

I've actually re-started Wuthering Heights. I'm getting more into it this time. Before I was just giving it 20 minutes a day on my lunch break, but it's really a book you need to concentrate on without people coming in and out and talking to you. Now I've got Stephen King in my desk drawer for lunch breaks and Wuthering Heights next to my bed :up:

06-07-2011:

I'm making a third attempt at "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte. I struggled with it first time round and didn't finish it, but I'm really really getting sucked into it this time. Unputdownable.

30-08-2011:

It took me three years and three attempts, but I have finally finished Wuthering Heights. I am sure you will all sleep better tonight knowing that.

UNLIKE MR. LOCKWOOD ON HIS FIRST NIGHT IN WUTHERING HEIGHTS! AM I RIGHT? AM I RIGHT?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been on a bit of a reading binge recently due to immense boredom.

Recently finished 'Galapagos' by Kurt Vonnegut. Really good stuff, may have made it to my top five Vonnegut books.

I picked up 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' for cheap the other week as I lost my old copy in Glasgow a couple of years ago before I got to finish it. It was pretty good and didn't take long.

Paul Auster's 'Travels in the Scriptorium' was a strange one. The usual Auster meta and self-referencing strangeness was present. Probably wouldn't read again, though.

Also finished David Guterson's 'Ed King', which I still haven't made my mind up about yet. At points it was pretty interesting, but at others it was predictable. The first chapter annoyed me as it featured an English au pair and her dialogue was embarrassing, made me wonder if Guterson has ever met anyone from England before.

Now back to Kafka for the first time in ages. 'Metamorphosis and other stories'. Yas min.

Finished Coming up for air by george orwell last night or the night before, rereading it after reading it just over a week ago, thoroughly enjoyed it but Orwell always leaves me feeling somewhat cheated with his endings. Currently reading Lord of the flies for the first time since i did standard grade english years ago and didn't really give a shit.

Have you read 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying'? A crowd-splitter of an ending.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a fair while ploughing through The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. This was his recent book providing the evidence for evolution which I found pretty interesting and educational being that I'm not a scientist. He writes very well for the layman like myself but I did struggle to enjoy the the scientific detail in some chapters to the point where I skimmed the tail end of a few. Still, I think he makes science very accessible and feel more prepared for future intellectual sparring with creationists.

American Pastoral by Philip Roth which I ditched half way through. I don't doubt he's a good writer but I found it a bit pretentious, didn't really feel engaged by the story and some of the sentences were just too damn long and, to my feeble mind, awkwardly constructed.

Our Kind of Traitor by John Le Carre. The man can write and tells a neatly constructed tale. Not his best effort in terms of the story but I enjoyed it a lot.

The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell. In the same vein as Nick Hornby, Tony Parson, Ben Elton. An easy read about an English family man who struggles to be an adult and lives a double life which is inevitably exposed three quarters through the book leaving him about 70 pages to redeem himself (I won't spoil it by telling you if he does or not). Pretty funny, particulary a chapter where he and a group of friends are trying to come up with a name for their band. Ohhhhh, it's soooo true! Worth a read, particularly if you are on holiday and looking for a light read as I was.

Reamde was ace, can't really describe it though, a cross between Thriller Jihadi battling, Russian Mafia, hackers and Gold Farmers, in a World Of Warcraftx100 style game. This virus encrypts your data, and to get it back you have to drop 100gp on the ground at a specific location within the game. ACE.

Keefs book is double ace and drugs on the rocks

Should really get continuing on Kings' The Stand. Bit of a late bloomer for that book but each time I read it it finally gets more clear and everyone's becoming involved with the same thing now. It has been a while since I last read it as I really want to see the film (I know, still haven't seen it yet after all these years) and I'm one for being good by not watching something before the book. Even at a younger age I managed to read Angela's Ashes before the film release.

25% of the way through Peter Straub's A Dark Matter.

This one is quite slow, but subtly engrossing nonetheless.

I've never read a bad Straub book yet and suspect that this one will not disappoint.

For those of you unfamiliar with Straub's work (horror or crime), I heartily recommend Ghost Story, Floating Dragon and the "Blue Rose Trilogy" (Koko, Mystery & The Throat)