aberdeen-music

constructive criticism please?

johnathan

I like this kind of music. I think screaming and shouting can be good. But i don't like it here. Only reason for that is I cannot make out what the lyrics are. With many bands the screaming/shouting is good and you can still hear the words.

Good music i think. Well recorded, nice quality. Only criticism is the vocals.

i'm not keen on it to be honest, it does have good moments (i like the way the song goes instrumentally in the middle, goes a bit more delicate then builds up again) but generally it's hard to differentiate between that song and 100 others just the same, its not very memorable in my mind anyway. i agree about the vocals, too much rarr not enough being able to make out what you're saying. my favourite part of the song was the part with no singing, i'm afraid.

its not very memorable in my mind anyway.

nor mine. Nothing too exciting here.

Nothing wrong with a vocals, the recording is clear. But i can name a number of other local/scottish bands doing this style. And doing it alot better.

Im gonna be at the East Neuk on the 4th none the less to cheak you out live.

If you can't make out the words, read them as you listen? I agree though, I don't like the vocals, and actually come to think of it I don't like the lyrics either. The screams often sound forced and the lyrics, or at least the structure of the lines ("The sun did pierce the clouds" is in there somewhere I think), are is a wee bit on the ham-fisted would-be poetic side for my liking. Bt that's just personal taste.

I like you guys a lot better live. But on the plus side, these recordings have come a LONG way since the TSLA days.

I really like this song, especially the spacey bits and ewans drumming, which is pretty damn good. Love the over use of delay on the clean guitars.

I agree with what everyone says about the vocals in that they are the weakest part of the song but ONLY on record - I'd say to be honest, that live the vocals are the strongest part of your set! Live, the vocals are really brutal and similarly to most vox of this ilk, come across far better in a live environment when you can get into watching a band rather than listening to being 'raared' at for 6 minutes.

I think you guys have started to find your sound, as this sort of stuff comes across a lot better than continual breakdowns in every song (which is what a lot of bands are doing at the moment.)

Constructive criticism, I'd say the recording quality is great especially for a bands second (?) demo, although it lacks a little bit of tightness here and there, mostly with the guitars.

good job though.

Guest Craig C
great recording and musically sound so keep doing what you're doing.

I'll agree with this. I can't stand this style of vocals myself, but hey - opinions etc etc.

Job well done, none the less.

hahahahahah. The first 3 minutes of this are just retarded. At 2:14 or so it sounds like the "singer" has developed gastro-enteritis - which is a shame because the next 3 minutes is a tolerable, okish but ultimately disposable instrumental track.

Asking for feedback on the production quality is pointless unless you put up a 320kbps MP3 or similar quality, the myspace player doesn't cut it.

Exactly the kind of vocal style doing the rounds at the moment that I detest. The "woaah wahhhhhhh wargh" thing doesnt do it for me at all. Gets a lot better riff-wise/vocal wise when you guys slow down half way through. The mellow part at the end reminds me a bit of Neurosis which isnt a bad thing.

Not my thing but good luck to you, you guys are obviously very good at what you do.:up:

Ok, here's my tuppence:

I can't stand the main vocals, Shaun shouldn't be allowed to sing backing vocals at all- his voice really irritates me.

I like the chilled bit with delay on the guitars in the middle, but to me that bit sounds too sparse then becomes to full too quickly. I think it would sound better if there was a slow build and progression with some intertwining guitars, some delicate cymbal work (with beaters perhaps) and some light pulsing bass.

I like it when the guitars get noisy again, the transition there is very good.

Drummings nice, there's some interesting fills etc and it sits well in the mix.

The main guitar parts from the first section are annoyingly predictable.

As for recording quality, its impossible to tell properly on the myspace player, but it sounds as if everythings where its supposed to be in the mix and all the levels are good. In terms of tone the clean/delayed sounds are great but the distortions pretty shit.

The structures nice but i wish there was some underlying tortured vocals on the end segment though.

You're getting better in my opinion, but you're still miles better live than on record.

After listening again - I actually really like the last couple of parts. It's probably just down to personal taste that I prefer the quieter and the more epic parts to the more metal sounding parts. And the guitar sound in general is pretty good.

Just need to find a way to make the two sides of your sound a wee bit more joined up.