aberdeen-music

Eleanor Rigby

Sam the Eagle

Does anyone happen to know if their exists and edit of this song with a proper introduction rather than going straight into the lyrics?

It would be rather helpful if you do.

I could put together a custom edit to suit your needs, so long as you dont tell EMI! :up:

Does anyone happen to know if their exists and edit of this song with a proper introduction rather than going straight into the lyrics?

It would be rather helpful if you do.

The version on Revolver has a "proper" introduction. Y'know, the one that McCartney made the introduction.

Maybe a bad choice of words you used, but you really can't improve on perfection, even if the song doesn't have an instrumental opening.

Like MKII says, Anthology 2 - just the strings.

Godhead do a cover with a musical passage before the singing begins. Great cover version, but not a patch on the original.

Guest DustyDeviada
The talk of a mentalist. :p

Exactly. I was listening to the Hard Days Night and Help albums today, and they are just brilliant. I think it's hard to argue against them being the greatest band ever. They may not be everyone's favourite band (my favourite is Dire Straits), but they are undoubtedly the best.

(Sits back and waits for people who have never listened to a Beatles album to try to argue that Metallica are the best band ever.)

Last I heard she died and was buried along with her name. According to Father McKenzie the service was unattended.

Haha, ace :p

But seriously, i think the Beatles are overrated. I just don't like them. I've got or had access to all the albums since i was about 6/7 years old. Both my parents are fans, my mum having seen them when she was a screaming teenager. I just don't get what all the fuss is about, its not through lack of trying either. For me personally there have been a lot more bands that have been influential in terms of my songwriting.

I have discovered that i like being called a mentalist though :p

For me personally there have been a lot more bands that have been influential in terms of my songwriting.

That's the same for me too, but I agree with Dusty: They may not be everyone's favourite band (my favourite is The Smashing Pumpkins), but they are undoubtedly the best.

The incredible influence they have had on not only music, but popular culture shows how incredibly fab they were. There influence is still easily recognisable in music today...

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, I wouldn't have picked up a guitar if it hadn't been for Dire Straits, but there's no way I would try to argue that Dire Straits are a better band. The fact that they did everything they did in the space of 7 or 8 years just makes it even more incredible.

Haha, ace :p

But seriously, i think the Beatles are overrated. I just don't like them. I've got or had access to all the albums since i was about 6/7 years old. Both my parents are fans, my mum having seen them when she was a screaming teenager. I just don't get what all the fuss is about, its not through lack of trying either. For me personally there have been a lot more bands that have been influential in terms of my songwriting.

They probably just don't do it for you and I'm not a huge fan either, but it's hard not respect the diversity and quality of their work, even if you don't like the music. I feel the same way about Classical for example - can't listen to it, but respect the effort that went into composing and playing it.

What I do like about the Beatles is that they never got stuck in a pidgeonhole musically.

e.g. - "She Loves You", "Day Tripper", "Helter Skelter", "Maybe I'm Amazed" are all very different and as Dusty (or was it Jan) rightly pointed out, it was all done over 7-8 years.

Guest DustyDeviada
e.g. - "She Loves You", "Day Tripper", "Helter Skelter", "Maybe I'm Amazed" are all very different and as Dusty (or was it Jan) rightly pointed out, it was all done over 7-8 years.

Maybe I'm Amazed is different in one particular way - it isn't a Beatles song. ;)

Although if you play it backwards it will give you a recipe for a really ripping lentil soup.

The version on Revolver has a "proper" introduction. Y'know, the one that McCartney made the introduction.

Maybe a bad choice of words you used, but you really can't improve on perfection, even if the song doesn't have an instrumental opening.

Like MKII says, Anthology 2 - just the strings.

Godhead do a cover with a musical passage before the singing begins. Great cover version, but not a patch on the original.

Marsh, you speak the truth.

The Handsome Family also do a lovely and different version of the song.

Marsh, you speak the truth.

The Handsome Family also do a lovely and different version of the song.

I will download it very shortly and look forward to hearing it!

Rigby was really just a McCartney / Martin collaboration at the end of the day.

Actually, something has just occured to me. I'm going to check it out and will be back shortly with the result! Keep an eye out, Sam the Eagle. Chances are i'm totally off the mark, but I may be able to help you................

Maybe I'm Amazed is one of, if not the best song ever written. Macca kept it for himself!

Personally, songwriting-wise i am influenced by Aereogramme, Jeniferever, Sigur Ros, Mae, Mum (the band, nae my ma), Explosions In The Sky, Grails, Red Sparowes, Isis, Neurosis etc

Good luck finding Beatles influences in there ;)

For starters, as I a) Ca be arsed and b) You could argue about this till the cows come home.

All of them play music that isn't a 2 minute love song or short rock n roll song. The Beatles invented music that wasn't 2 minute love songs or short rock n roll songs.

Music that's created by instruments other than guitar / drums / bass / voice / keys / piano -Beatles were first to experiment with various keyboards, sitars and drum loops.

The Beatles (and in particular George Martin & Abbey Road engineers) invented production / recording / double tracking techniques that all of those bands use.

The notion of an album being a "whole piece" or "concept album" a la Sigur Ros - influenced by Pepper. And medleys a la Abbey Road.

The list is endless...............