aberdeen-music

Eleanor Rigby

Sam the Eagle

The Doors appeared, pretty much blowing The Beatles away in terms of excitement and inventiveness

Like you say, your take. but no less hilarious for it. The Doors. Exciting? I mean the fucking DOORS...........

they trundled on trying to keep up, with ever diminishing returns, although some remaining high points.

Like you say, your take, but I'm if you are implying through your somewhat jumbled up thinking that they "trundled on with ever diminishing returns" after Revolver, the public and music critics accross the entire world have obviosuly been completley fooled by Sgt Pepper, The Beatles, Abbey Road and Let it Be. Yellow Submarine was somewhat throwaway, but by no means "trundling on."

But then The Beatles did Ob La Di Ob La Dah, the Octopus' Garden and Yellow Submarine....

Like you say, your take, but Ob La Di Ob La Dah is liked by some in "their take" as is "the Octopus' Garden." (sic.) Somewhat contradictory.

Oh, and the original point of this thread was actually some chap trying to track down a particular version of Eleanor Rigby.....which is a very annoying song.

Like you say, your take. I think the Doors entire back catalogue is more annoying than a trip to the dentists for major surgery. But that's my take. Why bring it up? Again, contradictory.

But at the end of the day this is my take, there are some on this thread who have complete tunnel vision about The Beatles influencing everything that ever happened to music, and they can disagree on my above points based on the fact they think everything the Beatles ever recorded was genius whereas I think they undoubtedly recorded a lot of great music but also some very average music.

I for one have certainly never said once in this thread that everything the Beatles recorded was genius. For the record, I'm not too keen on any of their first three abums.

I still stand by the fact that the Beatles and their team shaped music today as we know it.

Come on baby, light my fire :up:

Guest bluesxman
Like you say, your take. but no less hilarious for it. The Doors. Exciting? I mean the fucking DOORS...........

Like you say, your take, but I'm if you are implying through your somewhat jumbled up thinking that they "trundled on with ever diminishing returns" after Revolver, the public and music critics accross the entire world have obviosuly been completley fooled by Sgt Pepper, The Beatles, Abbey Road and Let it Be. Yellow Submarine was somewhat throwaway, but by no means "trundling on."

Like you say, your take, but Ob La Di Ob La Dah is liked by some in "their take" as is "the Octopus' Garden." (sic.) Somewhat contradictory.

Like you say, your take. I think the Doors entire back catalogue is more annoying than a trip to the dentists for major surgery. But that's my take. Why bring it up? Again, contradictory.

I for one have certainly never said once in this thread that everything the Beatles recorded was genius. For the record, I'm not too keen on any of their first three abums.

I still stand by the fact that the Beatles and their team shaped music today as we know it.

Come on baby, light my fire :up:

Nice selective quoting. You actually got anything useful to put forward or just your bias towards one band I mentioned? And basically proving the point I made in my post about tunnel vision? I'm no Doors fanatic either but find many of their songs far preferable to some Beatles ones, it's called AN OPINION.

Nice selective quoting. You actually got anything useful to put forward or just your bias towards one band I mentioned? And basically proving the point I made in my post about tunnel vision? I'm no Doors fanatic either but find many of their songs far preferable to some Beatles ones, it's called AN OPINION.

The first version of that post was way, way, better.

Hey, it was you that said everything I quoted. It's not as if i've cut up what you said and taken it out of context. It's easier to digest things when they are broken up............

In this whole thread, I have never once posted an "OPINION" about the Beatles and how their songs or albums are better or preferable to anyone elses, okay? Utter garbage. Show me where I have said that.

I have mearly stated that they, along with their producer and team of engineers changed music as we know it. It's frankly getting boring and you're clearly not listening. There was also the sitar argument, in which I believed the beatles were first to use a particular instrument, but at no time have I said "the Beatles make better music than anyone else."

It was you that brought up Jim fucking Morrison.

My girlfriend put on Sigur Ros first album last night. From the opening track I was reminded of the beatles before i put it on and didnt recognise who it was until sven-g-englar came on. There was moments through the album, particuarly track 4 which reminded me of the beatles with the string arrangement and melody.

My girlfriend put on Sigur Ros first album last night. From the opening track I was reminded of the beatles before i put it on and didnt recognise who it was until sven-g-englar came on. There was moments through the album, particuarly track 4 which reminded me of the beatles with the string arrangement and melody.

Aye, they reminded YOU, i don't hear Beatles at all when i listen to Sigur Ros. Music's subjective you know...

I heard that Oasis song 'Go Let it Out' the other day, reminded me of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.....

Thats because they use a mellotron with the flute setting mimicking the intro to strawberry fields forever. Just one of the many cheap beatles moments in oasis' songs.

Look, its really very simple. no other band has had as much influence over the world of music and people's lives as The Beatles! They literally changed the world! :up:

Deal with it, accept it, move on.:up:

The next worse thing to OTT beatles fans, are the people who try to disprove/play down their global influence or belittle their MANY innovations! You are wasting your time. 8-)

Guest bluesxman
Thats because they use a mellotron with the flute setting mimicking the intro to strawberry fields forever. Just one of the many cheap beatles moments in oasis' songs.

Ahhh now of all people I expected you to detect my sarcasm, sigh.....

Haha, ace :p

But seriously, i think the Beatles are overrated. I just don't like them. I've got or had access to all the albums since i was about 6/7 years old. Both my parents are fans, my mum having seen them when she was a screaming teenager. I just don't get what all the fuss is about, its not through lack of trying either. For me personally there have been a lot more bands that have been influential in terms of my songwriting.

I have discovered that i like being called a mentalist though :p

Well, actually your parents being fans, could be one of the reasons why you stayed so resistant. Obviously there are other influential songwriters and everybody has his/her own taste but from an objective point of view Lennon/McCartney must be regarded as THE most influential songwriting act in pop history. Before them pop music was mainly simple rock'n roll with 3 or 4 chords, exciting, but harmonically very schematic. Within a few months they took this simple scheme from "Love me do" to the complexity of "She loves you", "I'll be back" or "Things we said today" and then continued to expand the formulat to the heights of Revoler/Pepper. They invented the pop-song as we know it today in my opinion.

But then again I am no "mentalist" but just a lifelong Beatles fan, so what do I know ;-)