aberdeen-music

Sweep picking...

Dan G

So then, who can HONESTLY do it?

And I don't mean little rakes here and there, I mean something like this:

e---------------------------------------12--h--17--h--12------------------------------------------------

B-------------------------------12------------------------------12----------------------------------------

G------------------------14----------------------------------------------14-------------------------------

D------------------14---------------------------------------------------------------14--------------------

A------12----15---------------------------------------------------------------------------15-----12------

E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by YETI:

hogg NOT YET!!!! damn it!

:laughing: Yeah I have driven Yeti mad with my string skipping riff, I play it every practice!

Its like " look at me I can string skip" !!!! The rest of the E106 guys are like ":popcorn::sleeping: "

Now I think it just gets on their nerves ha ha.

My above example ain't THAT hard and it's one that I like to wing every now and again. Here's a cool one I came up with: (F#minor)

---------9-h-14-p-9----------------------14-h-19-p-14------------------------18-h-21-p-18---------------

-----10----------------10-------------15--------------------15--------------19--------------------19-----------

--11------------------------9--s--14-----------------------------14--s--18------------------------------18-------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

My above example ain't THAT hard and it's one that I like to wing every now and again. Here's a cool one I came up with: (F#minor)

---------9-h-14-p-9----------------------14-h-19-p-14------------------------18-h-21-p-18---------------

-----10----------------10-------------15--------------------15--------------19--------------------19-----------

--11------------------------9--s--14-----------------------------14--s--18------------------------------18-------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Dan - consider it nicked! I needed a fresh idea for my "Tie That Binds" solo :angel:

Yeah man thats right! Well noticed... ;):D

Sweep picking is basically when you play a series of notes each on a different string in one single down or up "sweep" motion - but you have to finger each note individually so that they don't 'bleed' into each other when you play them. It sounds great but is really difficult to do well.

Spooky!!! Inspired by this tread I had a go at sweeping last night as I hadn't done it in years, and came up with that exact same run:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Sweeping is kinda fucked up, but once you've practised it alot it ain't that bad. I'm okay at at, but that 7string sweep is outta my league thus far! A cool sweeping part is the beggining of the song "pissing in the mainstream" by Dying Fetus. And on the G3 video, the little improvised thing Steve Vai does before "for the Love of God" has some kick ass sweep arpeggios too.

I've got a video of some guy michael angello or something from an old metal band band called nitro doing an amazing solo/song. He does a fair bit of sweep picking but his most impressive trick is when he alternated his fret index finger between the low and high E strings on a decending solo down the guitar neck so fast that you can barely make it out....

I've seen that, Paul and he is awesome! He does sweep picking but with his fretting hand the wrong way round i.e. with his palm facing the strings rather than being behind the neck!

On a bit of a tangent, Jeff Healy plays with his guitar on his lap, and his fretting hand on the neck like that guy. Means that he can fret with all four fingers AND his thumb. Some mental stretches in there!!!

The best technical piece of guitarwork i've ever seen was in a version of 'Return To The Forbiden Planet' and the chef guy 'cookie' played about 5 minute long solo with parts like the guitar swung behind his head, his hand 'above' the fretboard (as dan mentioned), played it on his lap then went on to raise the guitar vertically and play the 'e' string with his top teeth. All the way through this he was playing some mind bendingly fast and intricate riffs. Nedless to say i had a full on bonner with a capital 'o' for the rest of the show.