aberdeen-music

Have I knackered my voice?

Hog

I know that I sometimes push my vox a bit too far (sometimes sound a bit hoarse) but after Elements last gig I totally lost my voice. I have never lost my voice ever. I think I also had some kind of throat infection at the time because I was coughing up yucky stuff in the mornings. This gig was last week and my throat is a lot better but my voice is still knackered (If I try a falsetto no sound comes out of my gob)

Have I blown my voice or do you think time will heal and I should calm down a bit with raaaar parts?

Apparently the best thing for a sore voice is rest. Just dont speak or try to sing. I once completely lost my voice from screaming and I couldn't speak for about a week afterwards. I just didn't try to speak and it got better gradually.

I don't mean to sound like 'don't say I didn't tell you so.'

If you are exercising or using any set of muscles in your body heavily you should warm them up and stretch them first. You otherwise risk injury. It may not happen and quite possibly not immediately but the risk is still there and an unecessary risk to take.

You can damage your throat pernamently but my suspicion is it will be largely tempory damage and will return to normal in a number of weeks. You should get it checked out incase it is serious. It is most likely a result of the throat infection. Warm, crowded gigs are perfect breeding and spreading grounds for bacteria and viruses.

Assuming your voice returns (which I think it will), search google for 'vocal warm up exercises'. There is a whole variety which you should/could do.

I now do a series of stretching and warm up exercises for guitar and I have physically improved at a much greater speed than I ever have before (pm me if you wish to know more).

The problem Mark, is that I know not to push my vox but I do if I get excited (kinky).

Its now a week after the gig and my voice is slowly getting better but still nothing happens if I try a falsetto. If anyone heard Spikes "Emo is fucking revolting" they will know that I can...or maybe could do a fairly high note.

The problem Mark, is that I know not to push my vox but I do if I get excited (kinky).

Its now a week after the gig and my voice is slowly getting better but still nothing happens if I try a falsetto. If anyone heard Spikes "Emo is fucking revolting" they will know that I can...or maybe could do a fairly high note.

Hog, your vocal chords are basicly a muscle....if you injure them they take an age to recover, they also need to be rested while they recover so no more talk of not managing falsetto, the other thing is if a soft tissue injury is severe enough it sometimes wont recover properly without some medical help...if you are worried and I guess you are, stop being a typical man and get you're arse down to the doctor soon.

G...

i have had the same problem and still do, i had a throat and chest infection and took about 2 -3 weeks off vocal duty i am just back jamming now and have a gig sunday but my voice is shot to fuck, all the inflamation has gone and my throat isnt sore i just have a very ruff voice at the mo, after our gig sunday i am going to take some time out and try and rest my vocal chords, tis totally shit like, i hope it will fix itself, but i am off to docs asap to get checked out again! tis crazy like!

Thought I'd throw my bit in here Hog.

Ive spent alot of time and money on my voice, trying to make it better and how to look after it.

These are some of the things I do. Take em or leave them BUT bear in mind ive done two weeks of shows on the trot before and had very little problems.

Do you like tea? If so...drink it and put a couple of spoons of honey in it as opposed to sugar or sweetners. If you dont like sweet tea, learn to like it. Nothing is as good for keeping your throat well as honey. I swear by it. It has natural healing properties. I drink it most of the time.

Sleep...Sleep is so essential for your voice. It cant be stressed enough.

Warm up. I warm up before sound check and before the show. I will not do anything vocally without warming up. I go from humming really low to really high note wise then I tend to go through my range from the lowest note to the highest going AYYYYY EEEEE AHHHHH OOOOOOOHHHHH OOOOOOOOO.

Get a few lessons to at least teach you how to breathe properly. Too many people sing and scream from the throat. Your throat is just the where the noise comes from...the power comes from the diaphragm. The breathing exercises I learnt have made all the difference. Thats how i went over a short space of time from a horrible weak scream to the bark I have now. If you actually learn how to sing and scream from the diaphragm you end up really enjoying it. Learning how to regulate the amount of air you let out is brilliant fun and you can hold notes and scream for quite a while. Also doing it right means I NEVER EVER come offstage or ourt of practice feeling sore. My stomach feels like ive done 200 sit ups but that means youre doing it right.

Too many vocalists dont want to go to a singing teacher but youre really cheating yourself if you dont. Sure you feel stupid for a while but you soon dont care. the guys in the band dont give a toss now when they hear my silly noises when warming up. Dan even joins in to help him sing.

Suck lozenges etc but have your last one quite a few hours before using your voice. They numb your throat and this isnt good as you can not feel what youre doing to it when singinging/screaming. You need to feel every little vibration.

DO NOT drink water with Ice...drink as much as you like but try and have it quite warm. Never have ice in it...BAAADDDD!!!

And finally...try not to talk too much over other bands at gigs...this will strain your voice and your performance will suck.

Sorry for the essay...but you really got to look after your voice.

Thanks for the tips Ben:up: . I am not a great vocalist but I do think that some lessons will help

I do try sing from the diaphram but I really think the problem was carrying on singing with a sore throat. 3 weeks on and only now my voice is getting a bit better.

Two words

I've got two words for you mate:

BAD TECHNIQUE

That's the only reason for your voice being f*cked, but I suspect you know this already. You have had some good advice here; do you mind if I throw some things in too?

• Sing scales while humming (very gentle exercise)
  • Pant like a dog. I'm serious! It's good exercise for the diaphragm
  • Do some stretches before you sing. Your body is your instrument and if it isn't warmed up then your voice won't be either.
  • Play it safe. If you feel the first twinge of something being wrong with your throat, don't sing for at least a week and become best mates with throat lozenges.
  • If you are truly serious about singing, cut back on caffeine, drink more water, get more sleep and absolutely no drugs whatsoever.

This will stand you in good stead. If you want to take things further, I know a couple of singing teachers in Aberdeen who could help you.

Cheers

Jayne