aberdeen-music

Suicide on Union Street

Scootray

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the last thing Id be thinking of is "I hope no kids see this" as I jump off a bridge.

Also, it's selfish, but not as selfish as the homeless cunt in Edinburgh not too long ago who threatened to do it, and had the police trying to talk him down off South Bridge, then chucked his dog off first.

I dont know if he ended up jumping, but I hope he fucking did and paralyzed himself and lives out the rest of his years back on the streets, the cunt.

I think the last thing Id be thinking of is "I hope no kids see this" as I jump off a bridge.

Also, it's selfish, but not as selfish as the homeless cunt in Edinburgh not too long ago who threatened to do it, and had the police trying to talk him down off South Bridge, then chucked his dog off first.

I dont know if he ended up jumping, but I hope he fucking did and paralyzed himself and lives out the rest of his years back on the streets, the cunt.

I think I'd be doing the most thinking I'd ever done in my fucking life before throwing myself to my doom.

And you're right. What that homless guy did is inhuman.

Or maybe a 'how do you figure out that roughly half of all suicide victims who die within ten minutes of deciding their fate even confide in someone' point of view.

The statistic is impossible speculation.

Hey, give him a chance to back it up. For all you or I know, he might be quoting from something respected on the matter.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-10/ra-nsr101705.php

That is the best link I can find at the moment (although im sure there are better ones to be found). Im also sure i read it offline somewhere first, possibly new scientist. I'd check about it but im in edinburgh and all my old new scientists are in aberdeen.

Edit:

Found a nice one on samaritans website too: http://www.samaritans.org.uk/know/pressoffice/news/news_291205_popup.shtm

Although they seem to look at it more from the alcohol related point of view.

It's pretty much the same story though. Just put "Dr Marianne Wyder" into google and that seems to bring up similar articles in lots of places.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-10/ra-nsr101705.php

That is the best link I can find at the moment (although im sure there are better ones to be found). Im also sure i read it offline somewhere first, possibly new scientist. I'd check about it but im in edinburgh and all my old new scientists are in aberdeen.

Edit:

Found a nice one on samaritans website too: http://www.samaritans.org.uk/know/pressoffice/news/news_291205_popup.shtm

Although they seem to look at it more from the alcohol related point of view.

It's pretty much the same story though. Just put "Dr Marianne Wyder" into google and that seems to bring up similar articles in lots of places.

Well said.

I'm gonna eat humble pie on this one and admit that you came through there.

I'd still speculate that the thoughts that go through the mind of an individual suicide victim aren't as simply proven through a scientific survey however.

how did they find out? did they wait by bridges around the globe for people to climb over the side and then pounce the question "how long ago did you decide to top yourself?"

I mean, how the fuck else do you find out things from a suicide victims point of view?

Ridiculous.

EDIT:Yeah, okay, they ask people that "attempted" suicide. But I still don't buy it. They're not actual suicide victims, maybe all the oens that did die were planning it for months, there is a 95% probability rate of this, because I asked them all.

Didn't someone once jump off there feet first in a suicide attempt and just paralyse himself...

Years ago a guy I know threw himself off and survived the plummet with minor injuries to his spine. The wind and cross-air currents buffeted him and forced his landing on to the roof of a portakabin.

Others haven't been so lucky.

It's still shocking to hear of it happening. Poor bloke.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Interesting topic this, if a tad ghoulish. As I said earlier, I've known a fair few people who have killed themselves and you always think about it, wondering if there were any hints/warning signs you could have picked up on,if you could have said/done something to help them, and in every single case, there have been none whatsoever. When one person kills themselves, there has often been a domino effect among their peers/family i.e. a few more follow suit, using the same method, usually hanging, and usually in the same place. Conversely, I've also known people who've said they've been considering suicide for a long time. None of them have actually done it (yet). I'm not sure if there's a moral to this, but that's my tuppenceworth. I always think of that line from the play "Gagarin Way":

"Suicide's a fantastic option, we're lucky tae hae it."

Yeah, but not as fucked up as killing yourself.....

I'm no psychologist but I think this is the essential point here. Suicide is a horrific result of mental illness and therefore the perceived selfishness of this individual should really be overlooked.

Also if you don't care about anything enough to live then I don't suppose you care too much about people witnessing your death?