aberdeen-music

Justin quits the Darkness

Darth Elvis

Taken from Yahoo news

Rock star Justin quits The Darkness Wednesday October 11, 12:44 PM

The Darkness rocker Justin Hawkins has quit the band following a stint in drug rehabilitation.

The catsuit-wearing star has been off illegal substances for nine weeks after checking into London's Priory clinic.

He said it would be "damaging" to his recovery to stay in the group.

The 31-year-old - who shot to fame with hit single I Believe In A Thing Called Love in 2002 - told the Sun he had spent more than 150,000 on cocaine in the last three years.

"I hit absolute rock bottom," he said. "I spent over 150,000 on cocaine in three years - a frightening amount. I was consuming up to five grams a day which cost me 1,000 a week, sometimes more.

"I regularly used to stay up for four days at a time on coke and alcohol binges."

The singer experienced blackouts and even used drugs during shows.

"I would come off stage and do a line then go back on," he said.

Justin decided to leave The Darkness after entering rehab in August.

"It would be damaging to my recovery to stay on," he said. "I'm not blaming the band for my problem - I am an addict. There are people who can be in bands and stay clean, but I'm not one of them."

Good news.

They were fun for about 3 minutes.

Plus, he is an arse.

150,000 worth of coke per annum = arse!

I think Ghandi would have been an arse too with 5 grams of coke up his nose a day! "Fuck you, I'm fucking Ghandi, check me out!".

Ha, shame though. I was quite taken with their first album for a few months but after that .............I just wanted to avoid them.

• Upvote 1

I think Ghandi would have been an arse too with 5 grams of coke up his nose a day! "Fuck you, I'm fucking Ghandi, check me out!".

:laughing: Hell yeah!

Guest onlynik

Ha, shame though. I was quite taken with their first album for a few months but after that .............I just wanted to avoid them.

Actually its 50k per annum.

It is a joke in itself that people even consider(ed) them a joke band. If you seen them live you would of been blown away. It's a shame, but I'm not sure if they could continue

I have to say I saw them live as a support band 3 times and they were terrible, I really didnt think there was anything to them as performers once you took away the props, Ricky Warwick was the other support and he just sat down with an acoustic guitar and imo came across far better, I can understand people liking them, but it seems to have passed me by and they left me cold as a live band too - actually thats not true, when we saw them live before they were big I said that musically they were fun but someone should shoot the singer... Kinda still sums up how I feel now, i might even enjoy them if they can get a singer who can sing well instead of bad falsetto. You'd think I'd have liked them they used to play predominantly Queen and Marillion covers apparently - the idea of them doing either band sends chills down my spine...

Cheers

Stuart