aberdeen-music

The Ryder Cup

Paranoid Android

I just realised that there is no thread for the Ryder Cup, one of the worlds great sporting events.

Is it just that the US are so inept these days that it's not even worth discussing :laughing:

Anyway the early action today seems to suggest Europe should get the points they need, although Sergio is down by 4 after only 6 holes which is a bit worrying.

Surely I'm not the only person who cares here?

I just realised that there is no thread for the Ryder Cup, one of the worlds great sporting events.

Is it just that the US are so inept these days that it's not even worth discussing :laughing:

Anyway the early action today seems to suggest Europe should get the points they need, although Sergio is down by 4 after only 6 holes which is a bit worrying.

Sergio always switches off on the last day of a big competition. But frankly he's done his bit this weekend. It's looking good for an unprecedented 3 in a row for Europe. Here's hoping they get it wrapped up nice and quickly.

You have to admit though, Cink had an amazing round so you can't blame Garcia too much.

Was good to see Darren Clarke playing so well. Good on him.

• 1 year later...

Really starting to like Ian Poulter!! Always thought he was a bit of a prick, but the passion he has shown has really brought me round; you can tell how much it means for him to beat the USA.

Some really excellent matches today and if Stenson and Karlsson can somehow win this final hole of the day; tomorrow's viewing could be epic!!

Bit off topic, but

Just thought I'd ask to clear this up for good, but is golf actually classified as a sport?

If so. It shouldn't be imho

why not?

"an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition"

It requires very little physical exertion. At least from my experience of having played golf.

Im not saying its not a skillful game. And Im not taking away from golfers how difficult it is to become good, im just saying, i dont see why it should count as a sport.

"an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition"

It requires very little physical exertion. At least from my experience of having played golf.

Im not saying its not a skillful game. And Im not taking away from golfers how difficult it is to become good, im just saying, i dont see why it should count as a sport.

So with very little physical exertion you can boom a drive 300yards straight up a fairway? Followed by using more touch and control than a Table Tennis player uses to get the ball up and down from 100 yards, applying spin/fade/loft etc to make sure the ball ends up where you want it, ending off with carefully reading the green to measure up the direction and power required to get the ball in the hole?

I'd say golf is one of the most complex sports ever invented. Where many skills have to be mastered to be successful, rather than in a lot of sports where the biggest/fastest/most flexible sportsman wins.

• Upvote 1

So with very little physical exertion you can boom a drive 300yards straight up a fairway? Followed by using more touch and control than a Table Tennis player uses to get the ball up and down from 100 yards, applying spin/fade/loft etc to make sure the ball ends up where you want it, ending off with carefully reading the green to measure up the direction and power required to get the ball in the hole?

I'd say golf is one of the most complex sports ever invented. Where many skills have to be mastered to be successful, rather than in a lot of sports where the biggest/fastest/most flexible sportsman wins.

fair enough. I was asking for the reasoning behind it and you answered my question :up: