aberdeen-music

capitalist scum - shares

lepeep

Did anyone take advantage of the standard life flotation back in july?

I did, and got a heap of shares with a 5% discount (218.5p)...

I've just checked, they are now up at 272.8p a share....that's a profit of 54.3p on every share....fandabidozie min!

anywaone else got shares? or is it just me being a capitalist scumbag ?

(making a nice nest egg for my soon to be baby popping into this world (15 days and counting).

Guest DustyDeviada

Congrats on the baby dude! Mrs Deviada is expecting our first next March.

I got some shares a while back when the Woolwich floated. Then Barclays bought the Woolwich and I ended up with half shares and half cash because I didn't bother sending back a form. So I bought a Les Paul with the cash and I still have the shares. On the plus side it means that there is another section of the paper that I can now look at with some degree of interest.

When the Halifax bought the Leeds people who had held an account for the 10 years previously were given shares in the new company. I had an account registered in my name when I was born so I was 10 when I had my first experience with shares. My mum sold them for me right away which was foolish in hindsight, but I got over a grand at the time so I'm not complaining!

Hmmm, I'd like a bit more money but can't be arsed looking into it! I had my first experience of this nature today when I set up my pension fund. I listened to the manny for a while but then I kind of drifted off for a while, then I drifted in and out, then off again, then pretended to listen while scrutinising the guy's strangely shaped beard, uh-huh, hmmm, right, yes, then I signed the paperwork. I hope he wasn't some bandito.....I heard "Standard Life" and believe I am investing my pension in three different "things" one of them being property investment. There was something about "overseas investment" but then I noticed the guy's beard again.

I'll take the "capitalist fuck" tag as long as I'm not an old man pissing himself on the streets. I'll be pissing myself in my own modest sheltered housing instead. Yee haa.

the shares were floated at £2.185...and you could buy a minimum of 100 quid? (or was it 1000?....)that's a shame you missed out.

I've heard that RBS, and American bank and a German bank are "looking at taking it over" (standard life), if this happens, the share price will go through the roof...so, fingers crossed for the wheels of big business to grind....(ho ho).

Guest Neubeatz
the shares were floated at 2.185...and you could buy a minimum of 100 quid? (or was it 1000?....)that's a shame you missed out.

I've heard that RBS' date=' and American bank and a German bank are "looking at taking it over" (standard life), if this happens, the share price will go through the roof...so, fingers crossed for the wheels of big business to grind....(ho ho).[/quote']

There is no such thing as "wealth creation", children in africa could benefit from your generosity peep ;)

There is no such thing as "wealth creation"' date=' children in africa could benefit from your generosity peep ;)[/quote']

yes, they could...and do "occasionaly"...

I've got my life to live too (relitively) I am not rich, but just sensible with money.

I trust you give every penny you earn to people worse off than you?

Guest Neubeatz
yes' date=' they could...and do "occasionaly"...

I've got my life to live too (relitively) I am not rich, but just sensible with money.

I trust you give every penny you earn to people worse off than you?[/quote']

Yes Yes Yes, especially all the gig money I make here in aburdeed, ;)

erm I'm rich too, but more in the spiritual sense than akshule dosh...;)

• 3 years later...

*BUMP*

Thinking about investing some money in to the stock market after the interest returned on my ISA was so small I'd have been as well just keeping the cash under my mattress.

I'm most likely looking to invest in the alternative investment market in the oil & gas sector, maybe try and get in with a smallish company with good prospects at a good price!

I've been following the Falklands oil story, thinking about taking a punt on one or two of the companies involved.

Anyone got any advice/experience/tips?

*BUMP*

Thinking about investing some money in to the stock market after the interest returned on my ISA was so small I'd have been as well just keeping the cash under my mattress.

I'm most likely looking to invest in the alternative investment market in the oil & gas sector, maybe try and get in with a smallish company with good prospects at a good price!

I've been following the Falklands oil story, thinking about taking a punt on one or two of the companies involved.

Anyone got any advice/experience/tips?

seek advice from professionals and not from a music forum. have you looked at stocks and shares isas rather than cash isas? they track funds and are good for long term investments. you can pick the type of investments you like so if you're worried about risk you can select cautious funds which would mainly invest in things like commercial property etc or you can go for adventurous funds which will have a higher proportion of shares within the fund.

shares are a volatile investment so you shouldn't invest looking for quick gains unless you're in a position to check the price regularly and dont' mind losing now and again. you should be looking for shares which will grow steadily over a number of years for a safer return.

most banks can offer appointments with investment advisers who can give you some advice and let you know your options, it's a heavily regulated area so they shouldn't be out to give bad advice. if you have a fair chunk to invest(over 10k) then they can put you in touch with independent advisers too but you'd probably have to specifically request independent advice.

rbs also offer a direct trader account, and i'm sure other banks do too, which means you can make your own trades online. you can also sign up for a portfolio builder account where you can put a small amount in each month and build up a variety of shares/funds over a longer term. their sharedealing website has a range of information too so you can do some research on a fund/business before you invest and also setup a virtual portfolio so you can make practice trades and see how the shares could have performed if you'd invested, great for learning. if you want to know more about that kind of thing send me a pm.