aberdeen-music

Pay Your Respect Here!!!!

Paulscoconutass

Pay your respect here to the single most influencial thing that has changed the type of music that you listen to/ play/ appreciate.

It would be the Tony Hawks computer games that got the ball rolling for me and my spiral into punk/skate and rock music. Bands like Bodyjar, Goldfinger, Rage, CKy, Zebrahead, Millencolin, to name but a few on the awesome soundtracks in the games. I'd say "hi-five" to the guy that chose the songs for each game, what a hero.

What's been the most influencial event / album / game / person in shaping your taste in music???

Guest sludge

foo fighters - theres nothing left to lose. the first real rock album i bought. changed my life really.

saliva - every six seconds. introduced me to the nu metal side of things. still into some now.

Ooh what a clever thread. I think I was about 14 when I started getting into, lets label it (eurgh) "alternative" music and at the risk of sounding like a nerd I owe most of it to Napster. An ex boyfriend plays in a band called Charling and broadened my musical tastes somewhat but at the end of the day it's all down to that wonderful little download program.

Those were the days when it was ever so easy to download exactly what you wanted and if you didn't like it, you didn't care.

Yeah there wasn't really a whole lot going on in Whitchurch, Hampshire.

Yeah Napster and now Kazaa have meant that I can check out any band out there before I buy their CD's. I'm against downloading whole albums but I reckon MP3's have broadened my musical tastes like no other.

Also "Make Yourself" by Incubus. Say what you want about Incubus these days, some of their music is dubious at best, but that album taught me so much about music and influenced my tastes and guitar playing like no other before or since.

My dad, easily. Then my cousin who's a couple of years older than me.

When you grow up listening to everything like Queen, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple etc, rock music just seems like 'normal' music to your ears.

Then Guns N Roses, nirvana and Iron Maiden were the first bands I properly got into, before my cousin sent me mix-tapes with bands like Pantera, Death, Slayer and Metallica and that got me into the heavy stuff.

Guest highroller

My dad was quite a regular gig goer on the rock band scene when we lived in dubai...he would always befriend the bands that would be over for 6 months from the uk that would have a residency in a hotel and pub so i was always from like 7 years old around rock musicians...played drums for the first time then as wel when one of the drummers let me have a go....then my sisters boyfriend around that time said to me "listen to this" it was a tape of ACDC and i remember loving it and the way the guitars were so crunchy and...i dunno! I LOVED "you shook me all night long" then i remember the two albums that got me hooked on rock music were "open up and say...ahhh" by poison and "hysteria" by def leppard and i got into them so much when they came out and played them to death!!

1988...my birthday...i ask for two albums that really would IMPACT me in a HUGE way!! My gran buys me (on cassette) "south of heaven" by slayer and "...and justice for all" by Tallica....they were so heavy those albums that it truly fascinated and scared me at the same time.....and the rest...is history!

Perseverence by Terrorvision and Big Me by the Foo Fighters which I heard when we first got sky. Then I saw Terrorvision on the front of a magazine called Kerrang, which I started buying, and their promo cd's got me into the wonderful world of rock. And that, as they say, was that.