aberdeen-music

Recording tips please

ZeromiserY

Hey folks, we (som) are recording at captain toms in a few weeks. we've opted for the 8 hour multitrack recording.

does anyone have any (helpful) tips on how to get a good recording and improve on our last one?

if you haven't heard our last recording its posted up on myspace.com/statueofmisery

i'm especially looking for tips on making the drum sound a lot 'beefier', especially the bass drum. also, the tom sound on road to ruin. (which is also on myspace).

many thanks in advance

:up:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just turn everything up really loud and hope for the best. That's what we did....

Thats not good advice at all.

Why not speak to your engineer about how you want things to sound before you start recording?

If its mostly to do with your drum sound, then microphone placement is important...but in the mix down the engineer should be able to make it sound how you want with EQ's and compression and the likes.

Make sure your kit is properly tuned aswell with new skins aswell.

if its mostly down to the drum sound then its mostly down to the drum kit itself.

a beefy sound will only be possible if the kit is sounding good itself (may sound obvious but you would be amazed how many people will spend cash on guitar strings etc but totally overlook how the drums sound.)

buy fresh heads and make sure they are played in / stretched before you start recording (or else the sound will change throughout the day)

also listen carefully to the sound of the drums before there are any mics near them and make sure you like the sound of them. beg/borrow/steal a decent set of cymbals too.

if they sound good then its down to the engineer to transfer that to the tape.

as much of that will be taken into account as money can afford. been saving for new cymbals but an un-expected holiday opportunity came up and delayed that a few months.

bringing it down to detail a little more....the bass drum:

i have a double bass pedal with a double headed hammer. one side padded one side.....un-padded.

want that clicky, sharp, short kick sound. ah-la five minutes alone. i know im not going to get near that but as close as' would be good.

any tips.

also, whats the best way to convey this to an engineer who's probably recorded another ten bands that month and is more than likely a little bored of the whole process?

p.s, any comparison tips? what was bad/good about the last recording?

also' date=' whats the best way to convey this to an engineer who's probably recorded another ten bands that month and is more than likely a little bored of the whole process?

[/quote']

Regardless or not whether Paul is bored of 'the whole process', I'm sure that won't have any bearing on his performance as an engineer.

I'm assuming it will be Paul who does engineer your recording, and he's an entirely approachable and friendly chap. Just explain to him exactly what you want, and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to help you make it sound right.

And...if you agree that everything to come out of Captain Tom's sounds 'fucking gash', why on earth did you book recording time there?

• Upvote 1

err if you are paying for 8 hours of studio time' date=' I would have thought that would include an engineer.

Having said that, most of what I've heard come out of captain toms has been fucking gash.[/quote']

thats a very vague generalisation, what has sounded gash about Capt toms? there engineer there dose not give the 100% he should but i found that studio to be quite good. they have all the right equipment for what they are selling, and if the sound going into the mic is good then the sound coming out should be ace, but if a shit sound gos in then a shit sound will come out. no matter what the studio.

ZeromiserY- the things you are wanting from your drum sound will come down to micing and mic placment. i found that the Sure beta 91 give outstanding bass drum sounds, as i dont think toms will have this mic we will just have to wait till we get there to see what they have.

thats a very vague generalisation' date=' what has sounded gash about Capt toms? there engineer there dose not give the 100% he should but i found that studio to be quite good. they have all the right equipment for what they are selling[/quote']

Pocket money recordings at pocket money prices.

if the sound going into the mic is good then the sound coming out should be ace' date=' but if a shit sound gos in then a shit sound will come out. no matter what the studio.

[/quote']

Nonsense.

Regardless or not whether Paul is bored of 'the whole process'' date=' I'm sure that won't have any bearing on his performance as an engineer.

I'm assuming it will be Paul who does engineer your recording, and he's an entirely approachable and friendly chap. Just explain to him exactly what you want, and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to help you make it sound right.

[b']And...if you agree that everything to come out of Captain Tom's sounds 'fucking gash', why on earth did you book recording time there?

he never, i did. i like toms. see my post above

Pocket money recordings at pocket money prices.

RIGHT! thats what they sell' date=' and they sell it good

Nonsense.

so your saying if a band is shit, really shit, a good studio could make them sound great? no matter how shit each instrument sounded?

if your a good band and have a good sound you will have a good recording, no matter the studio. of course better funded studios have more (and better) equipment and can give a higher quality recording. but it always comes downn to the band.

so your saying if a band is shit' date=' really shit, a good studio could make them sound great? no matter how shit each instrument sounded?

[/quote']

You can still have an excellent quality recording of a band with a shit sound. That is down to the studio, wether your instruments are out of tune or whatever, and that is what you should be paying for.

if your a good band and have a good sound you will have a good recording' date=' no matter the studio. [/quote']

Nonsense.

I have to agree with Stripey on this one. We will just need to make sure what were putting in is awsome and what the engineer/equipment is putting out is awsome too.

Forgive my nievety (sp) if that is absolute pish!!!

why bother, the engineer will make us ace anyway, no matter how shit we play.

hmmmmmmm i think i will just fart into the mic

You can still have an excellent quality recording of a band with a shit sound. That is down to the studio' date=' wether your instruments are out of tune or whatever, and that is what you should be paying for.

Nonsense.[/quote']

its not the engineers job to make a band good.

the quality a toms is more than good enough for ALL aberdeen bands

Personally I record drums and bass at Toms. Guitar and vox in my office lol.

Mixing/mastering (wish it was done by someone else)

As Adam Easy Wishes said, Paul is a really good guy and really tries to get the best sound for you. I prefer to do my own guitar sound with a Shure mike and my laptop. Vox is usually via Angel of Deaths mike for Tonester.

PS even when I only used Toms for drums and bass, Paul gave me loads of info/tips regarding home recording. It was very helpful and he didnt mind that we just recorded some stuff with him.

If the source sound is shit, the recorded sound will be shit.( It might be very well recorded shit, but it will still be shit, Stripey).8 hours is hardly enough time to set up a drum kit sound imo, but most of Cpt Toms clients won't pay for that time, which is probably (coupled with the SISO effect), why the studio has a bad rep in some quarters.

On a more practical note, if you want a "clicky" kick drum, try double miking it. Use one mic as normal, and another on the beater side for the "click".

If the source sound is shit' date=' the recorded sound will be shit.( It might be very well recorded shit, but it will still be shit, Stripey).8 hours is hardly enough time to set up a drum kit sound imo, but most of Cpt Toms clients won't pay for that time, which is probably (coupled with the SISO effect), why the studio has a bad rep in some quarters.

On a more practical note, if you want a "clicky" kick drum, try double miking it. Use one mic as normal, and another on the beater side for the "click".[/quote']

finally, some decent advice.

this forum is trurning to shit just like most of the ones we're involved in.

que retaliations.....

thanks soundian. i'll mention this to paul on the day. :up:

want that clicky' date=' sharp, short kick sound. ah-la five minutes alone. i know im not going to get near that but as close as' would be good.

any tips.

also, whats the best way to convey this to an engineer who's probably recorded another ten bands that month and is more than likely a little bored of the whole process?

[/quote']

The best way is to take along a CD with 5 minutes alone on it and let the engineer hear it. Although to be honest most engineers who have had any experience recording metal bands will have had similar "I want it to sound like Vinnie Paul" requests and should know what you're asking for.

If the source sound is shit' date=' the recorded sound will be shit.( It might be very well recorded shit, but it will still be shit, Stripey).8 hours is hardly enough time to set up a drum kit sound imo, but most of Cpt Toms clients won't pay for that time, which is probably (coupled with the SISO effect), why the studio has a bad rep in some quarters.

On a more practical note, if you want a "clicky" kick drum, try double miking it. Use one mic as normal, and another on the beater side for the "click".[/quote']

not wanting to sound stupid, but what is SISO?