aberdeen-music

Getting Healthy!

Chris

Ok so this thread is quite simply me blowing my own trumpet, but fuck it I don't care.

For the last 8 weeks I've been taking part in an 8 week health challenge for work. Part of a wider Activitymix (http://www.activitymix.com/) corporate decathlon thing. At the start they measure your blood pressure, body fat percentage, flexibility and make you do a chester step test.

During the last couple of months I've been running or on the rowing machine almost every night straight after work. I went to the gym 8 times during my 2 weeks on holiday. And I've completely changed my eating habits from only cooking frozen food out of a packet to cooking everything from scratch or eating pasta if I want something quick. No crisps, chocolate or other unhealthy snack food and fresh fruit everyday. I've also quit smoking.

So tonight I went to get my final assessment it went thus:

blood pressure: 130 (down from 133, not much, think it would have been better if he'd let me settle a bit)

body fat: 21.8% (down from 25%. normal is 8-21%)

flexibility: 33.5cm (up from 19cm. this is just a simple how far can you stretch test)

step test: 47 (up from 40, which was suprisingly good to begin with. As a barometer the fire brigade use this and you have to score 45 to get in).

Oh an I've lost around about a stone in weight. So I'm chuffed to fuck, thin and already planning my first butterries in 8 weeks tomorrow morning :gringo:

So has anyone else been on a health kick for summer? Any success?

Ok so this thread is quite simply me blowing my own trumpet' date=' but fuck it I don't care.

For the last 8 weeks I've been taking part in an 8 week health challenge for work. Part of a wider Activitymix ([url']http://www.activitymix.com/) corporate decathlon thing. At the start they measure your blood pressure, body fat percentage, flexibility and make you do a chester step test.

During the last couple of months I've been running or on the rowing machine almost every night straight after work. I went to the gym 8 times during my 2 weeks on holiday. And I've completely changed my eating habits from only cooking frozen food out of a packet to cooking everything from scratch or eating pasta if I want something quick. No crisps, chocolate or other unhealthy snack food and fresh fruit everyday. I've also quit smoking.

So tonight I went to get my final assessment it went thus:

blood pressure: 130 (down from 133, not much, think it would have been better if he'd let me settle a bit)

body fat: 21.8% (down from 25%. normal is 8-21%)

flexibility: 33.5cm (up from 19cm. this is just a simple how far can you stretch test)

step test: 47 (up from 40, which was suprisingly good to begin with. As a barometer the fire brigade use this and you have to score 45 to get in).

Oh an I've lost around about a stone in weight. So I'm chuffed to fuck, thin and already planning my first butterries in 8 weeks tomorrow morning :gringo:

So has anyone else been on a health kick for summer? Any success?

Well done Chris!! :up:

I'm on a diet, well eating healthier, tried to stop smoking but I'm not in the right frame of mind yet, I stopped for 5 years but started again about 2 years ago, I know when I'll be ready to give up though.

I've been going crazy in the garden with the mower and pulling weeds, now thats exercise if you seen the size of my garden, its an everyday task.

Chris' date=' how did you manage to discipline yourself? I've never been too good with sticking to a health plan.[/quote']

I don't know really. I guess the fact it was part of a structured contest (I'm part of a 6 strong team whose scores are added up and compared against the other teams in the decathlon) helped.

The main thing I suppose was organisation rather than discipline. I found that if I changed the food I was buying so the only choice in my fridge was to cook something quite healthy then I'd do it. And also I got into a routine of coming home and changing into shorts and a t-shirt straight away to go for a run or hit the rowing machine. Once that was done I would think about cooking something or just sitting in front of the computer. Routine is important. Makes everything easier.

Guest Craig C

You must feels tons better for doing it. I found that I was sleeping better and just felt good most of the time.

That's pretty much what I felt like after I stopped smoking. Now if I could only sort the rest of my diet out, LOL.

I have been cutting down my boozing a lot.... though that's going out the window this weekend as it's my 21st :D

See I hardly changed my drinking habits at all. I felt I was changing so much that I needed something to help me through.

that's really good going. one of the guys at work helped put that activitymix thing together as part of his uni course(he's doing sports science) and he wasn't sure about the viability of the step test as people could just cheat(i.e stopping after five and going "oh, i'm so unfit" when really they could keep going for a bit longer) and it's designed for people like firefighters not IT personnel. but you seem to have done really well with it.

plus chris couldn't cook much at all before this health challenge but just the other day he made bacon and breadcrumb stuffed mushrooms on toast followed by cod wrapped in parma ham with roasted tomatoes and it was fucking delicious!

that's really good going. one of the guys at work helped put that activitymix thing together as part of his uni course(he's doing sports science) and he wasn't sure about the viability of the step test as people could just cheat(i.e stopping after five and going "oh' date=' i'm so unfit" when really they could keep going for a bit longer) and it's designed for people like firefighters not IT personnel. but you seem to have done really well with it.

[/quote']

yeah I'm sure that happens as well. from my point of view I wanted to do the challenge just to see how much difference I could make to myself in 8 weeks. So there would be no point in bending the results by not trying my hardest at the first assessment. If it means anything I finished the step test the first time as well, although I was fucking knackered. Felt ok after it this time.

I've lost a stone and in general toned up a bit. I've also grown from 5ft4 to 5ft6 in the past three months which is a bit odd. I am in the process of giving up smoking (oh joy.) and going to the gym every day. Oh the irreplaceable joy of healthy living.

xxx

Guest onlynik

Well Done CHris, its nice to see someone doing somwthing productive at work. I really need to get on a health kick, or just work off that middle age spread that's happening.

aww thats ace!! i've got no patience or attention-span so could never do the same thing for long, but good on u!! u get a total kick out of it! I used to run, but got bored, so I went to the gym, now i run again...irrelevant. but giving up smoking? i really want to - its so expensive it hurts!! x

good job dude. i've been on a health kick since the start of the year. stopped eating shite (although there haev been a few stumbling blocks of late) and living off greek salad, soup and pasta mostly. i took up running a month or so back and am in training for a 10k tomorrow night, a half marathon in september and the new york marathon in november. my regime involved a lot of weight stuff early on but i'm suffering with a cracked rib which i sustained playing american football in april and some of the lifting exercises - particularly bench pressing - wasn't letting it heal properly so i'm concentrating on running and training for american football until it's healed right. i#'d say another couple of weeks should be good for that.

i was 19st7 this time last year and i was 16st3 when i last weighed myself a few weeks ago so with the running since then i shouldn't have put on any weight.

you definately feel better once you get going and it's not as hard as you might think. yesterday i ran 10k for the first tmie and although it wasn't exactly a stroll in the park, the thought of doing it was much worse than actually getting out there and doing it! i'm looking better and clothes are fitting me better too which is always a nice feeling!

/x

good job dude. i've been on a health kick since the start of the year. stopped eating shite (although there haev been a few stumbling blocks of late) and living off greek salad' date=' soup and pasta mostly. i took up running a month or so back and am in training for a 10k tomorrow night, a half marathon in september and the new york marathon in november. my regime involved a lot of weight stuff early on but i'm suffering with a cracked rib which i sustained playing american football in april and some of the lifting exercises - particularly bench pressing - wasn't letting it heal properly so i'm concentrating on running and training for american football until it's healed right. i#'d say another couple of weeks should be good for that.

i was 19st7 this time last year and i was 16st3 when i last weighed myself a few weeks ago so with the running since then i shouldn't have put on any weight.

you definately feel better once you get going and it's not as hard as you might think. yesterday i ran 10k for the first tmie and although it wasn't exactly a stroll in the park, the thought of doing it was much worse than actually getting out there and doing it! i'm looking better and clothes are fitting me better too which is always a nice feeling!

/x[/quote']

Well done you too... You should find the 10K a lot easier than you think on the day. You always get a boost of adrenaline in a race which really helps. I hope you've been carb-loading...Which half marathon are you doing?

I'd recommend subscribing to this place

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk

The forums are huge and full of great advice from runners of all abilities. They've got loads of training schedules and stuff too.

I reckon it's best to have a definite goal to start with for motivation, then you quickly settle into the change of lifestyle so it becomes routine. I started off running a 10K for a bet, then did a half-marathon, and now I do around 20 miles a week just for fun. It's true, you really do feel a lot better.

ive been good in general this past year and a half and shed a shit load of weight.But ive let myself slip a bit (started smoking again/to much coffee) so feeling a bit shit at the moment.But ill be going on a health kick shortly.Hitting the gym again when i can.I dont really drink that much anymore.Feeling healthy is great.

well done.its nae easy.

and now I do around 20 miles a week just for fun.

fucking hell! I dunno about fun, but running is no longer my enemy. I hated it when I started and could barely make it to the first corner on my route. now I can run my full route without stopping and have added a bit on. Dunno how long it is but it takes me about 10 - 15 mins.

Don't think I'll be entering any 10k runs in the near future. Doesn't appeal to me. But I would like to put this new found fitness to good use. Anyone got any suggestions for an interesting sport to take up?

fucking hell! I dunno about fun' date=' but running is no longer my enemy. I hated it when I started and could barely make it to the first corner on my route. now I can run my full route without stopping and have added a bit on. Dunno how long it is but it takes me about 10 - 15 mins.

Don't think I'll be entering any 10k runs in the near future. Doesn't appeal to me. But I would like to put this new found fitness to good use. Anyone got any suggestions for an interesting sport to take up?[/quote']

Darts. =P

Swimming!!!

A brilliant way to keep fit; and if you get a health spa pass, which is usually 3-5 you can sweat a heap out in the steam room and sauna.

We spent a fortnight on tour in April/May, and went to swimming pools every single day which cleansed all the mink of the previous night out. The wave machines and flumes were also a bonus!!

A brilliant way to keep fit; and if you get a health spa pass' date=' which is usually 3-5 you can sweat a heap out in the steam room and sauna.

We spent a fortnight on tour in April/May, and went to swimming pools every single day which cleansed all the mink of the previous night out. The wave machines and flumes were also a bonus!![/quote']

I totally agree, the steam room is amazing and yes you do feel clean as hell after.

I can also recommend water aerobics. I'm not a fan of the gym unfortunatly.

i've started getting meself very healthy these past few months, after a few stop start efforts last year i went back to the doc in early february where me blood pressure was high and lethergy levels very high. i do 20KM a day on the exercise bike, walk quite a lot, eat five portions of fruit n veg a day all the stuff they tell you basically. i've lost over 2 stone and the difference this time around is when i 'crack' (which is bound to happen) i just go back to getting in the routine again something which has never happened before, i dunno where this determination comes from. the only thing i can think is that when i am on a health kick i feel so so much better and also i dont deprive myself of treats and still occasionally eat badly and over indulge in alcohol!!! i've a long way to go but for anyone thinking about making the change you won't regret it.

Ok so this thread is quite simply me blowing my own trumpet' date=' but fuck it I don't care.

For the last 8 weeks I've been taking part in an 8 week health challenge for work. Part of a wider Activitymix ([url']http://www.activitymix.com/) corporate decathlon thing. At the start they measure your blood pressure, body fat percentage, flexibility and make you do a chester step test.

You've got off lightly....I had to take part in the Ballroom Dancing event:down: