aberdeen-music

Al- Zarqawi dead.

Hog

Terrorist 'Godfather' Is Killed in Iraq

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi led a campaign of suicide bombings and hostage beheadings

-- Search: More on al-Zarqawi

-- Search: War on terror

-- One of the most feared terrorists

Terrorist "godfather'' Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed by a US bombing raid in Iraq.

The al Qaida commander blamed for personally beheading British hostage Ken Bigley and for leading the insurgency in Iraq that has seen thousands die was killed in a US airstrike.

A Jordanian government spokesman said it had provided the crucial information that led the US to al-Zarqawi.

The official would not elaborate, but Jordan is known to have intelligence agents operating in Iraq to hunt down Islamic militants.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Maliki announced the news in Baghdad, to applause from his audience.

"Today, al-Zarqawi was eliminated,'' he said.

More on Iraq

BBC News: The Struggle for Iraq

CNN: Transition of Power in Iraq

MoD: British Casualties in Iraq

Al-Jazeera Web site

Chat about the latest stories

Have your say on the message board

Mr Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed along with seven aides 30 miles north-east of Baghdad, in the volatile province of Diyala, just east of the provincial capital of Baqouba.

In recent weeks Baqouba has seen a spike in sectarian violence, including the discovery of 17 severed heads in fruit boxes. Masked gunmen also killed 21 Shiites, including a dozen students, in the area last week.

The US ambassador in Iraq Dr Zalmay Khalilzad and the top US commander in Iraq General George Casey were with the Iraqi PM as he made the announcement.

Dr Khalilzad gave a thumbs-up sign and said al-Zarqawi's death was "a good day for America".

He said al-Zarqawi was the "godfather of sectarian killings and terror in Iraq'' and his death was a "good omen'' for the new government.

General Casey confirmed al-Zarqawi was killed in an airstrike on a remote location. His body was identified by fingerprints and facial recognition.

The announcement came six days after the Jordanian-born terror leader issued an audiotape on the internet railing against Shiites in Iraq, saying their militias were raping women and killing Sunnis.

Nah' date=' that would be Bin Ladin and Bush both getting killed on the same day. Preferrably Bush choking to death on another pretzel thus perpetuating the idea that the fucker can't learn from his mistakes :p[/quote']

That would be awesome.

Im actually suprised that Bin Laden has not been found. Yeah he has money but there is a big price tag on his head.

I reckon that Bin Laden has shaved off his beard' date=' purchased a fake passport and is sunning himself on a beach in South Carolina.[/quote']

probs true, as far fetched as it would be to see.

tho bush will probs still invade every country just to try to find him.

nothing boosts an economy like a war

That would be awesome.

Im actually suprised that Bin Laden has not been found. Yeah he has money but there is a big price tag on his head.

That's if he's still alive' date=' they're not even a hundred percent sure.

How big an effect will Al Zarqawi's death have in Iraq? Sure he's responsible for leading alot of the terror campaigns in Iraq but there's bound to be a hierarchy system of some sort in those organisations - there will surely be someone just as bad to take his place.

I guess it's a start though.

Meh.[/color']

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I saw him drinking Addlestones in the Moorings' date=' holy shit he was hammered.[/quote']

Not surprised comrade, fucking vicious stuff. Did he make it to Fortress Weep when the Moorings shut?

To be honest' date=' I don't trust any report of a terrosrist leader being killed anymore. Not since they supposedly killed Chemical Ali, then arrested him about 2 months afterwards...[/quote']

Al-Qaeda have confirmed he's dead though, so it's not like the half-dozen other times he's been 'killed.'

Personally I'd be worried that he's going to become a martyr, or at least see a lot of retaliation strikes in the next wee while.

Al-Qaeda have confirmed he's dead though' date=' so it's not like the half-dozen other times he's been 'killed.'

Personally I'd be worried that he's going to become a martyr, or at least see a lot of retaliation strikes in the next wee while.[/quote']

If Al-Queda have admitted that he is dead, then he will inevitably become a martyr. :down:

im still surprised they aint caught/killed bin laden yet.

like the whole world was meant to be searching for him' date=' yet he's never been caught.

i mean this guy musta been amazing at hide and seek as a kid.[/quote']

of course, that is IF "the" bin laden actually exists.

i mean, who knows if he had been created just to give the US an enemy?

but the war is making me sick. really sick.

if the military of the US is so strong and mighty..whats keeping them from erradicating the terrorists quickly?

Um' date=' what? The USA has plenty enemies as it is, they wouldn't have needed to invent one. He exists, his history and the testimonies of people who have had dealings with him are easy enough to find.

Because most of the time it's impossible to tell a terrorist from an ordinary civilian until they blow themselves up...[/quote']

okay....fair enough.

i just don`t know what to believe.

Um' date=' what? The USA has plenty enemies as it is, they wouldn't have needed to invent one. He exists, his history and the testimonies of people who have had dealings with him are easy enough to find.

Because most of the time it's impossible to tell a terrorist from an ordinary civilian until they blow themselves up...[/quote']

Yep, very true. Terrorists mix in with the crowd to cause the upmost damage i.e. suicide attacks outside busy police stations etc. However, the US also cant afford to look after Iraq properly. It is way too big a country to easily manage, same with Afghanistan which is vast.

it's all very convenient to fill the headlines with supposedly positive news which pushes out the deeply negative and damaging news such as confirmation of the USA's illegal rendition of suspects through Europe, and US marine massacres of civilians in several cities in Iraq (warcrimes). It's just propoganda.