aberdeen-music

Stovies

framheim

it has become something of a tradition amongst myself and my friends that when drinking in flat's near george street someone does a stovie run to thains. we've come to the conclusion that thains do some of the tastiest damn stovies in all the land.

anyone know of any better stovies? anyone got a particularly good stovie recipe? anyone know if thains cater weddings? :)

Hmm im glad this post has been made and heres why

WHAT is stovies?

Now im well aware of what thains sells but being originaly from paisley as a child i remeber my nana (grama) making stovies with sausages....... I also remember visiting my aunty E in GlenRothes fife when i was a boi and her stovies consisted of Beef......Now i live in aberdeen all stovies has cornbeef in it ..... When i go home (not very often) my mother slags off our stovies saying its cornbeef hash not stovies..

If anyone could help it be much appreciated

LOL

You've come to the conclusion based on one shop?

That's not very scientific. I think you should get a Government grant to test some shops that do stovies. Let's face it, some of the shite that gets researched, it wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: Real stovies are made of beef which has previously been used for a pot of soup.

aye stovies should have proper beef that's been used for soup or that's left over from a roast. none o this corned beef rubbish.

it's not just based on one shop, but on many stovies tried in lots of locations. and thains are just damned tasty. they melt in the mouth yet have good satisfying chunky bits in them of both beef and tatty. i'd like more than one oatcake with them though, but that's a minor quibble.

Aye, stovies are what you make of it. Adaptable to their environment like a Transformer or some shit.

My gran's stovies are always kickass, 'cause she put a bit of gravy salt or something in to make them really rich. However, she never put beef into them because certain members of the family don't eat read meat. Tsk. I've found that corned beef hash has a higher corned beef to potato ratio than your average pot of stovies. Reports claim that this could be me talking bollocks however.

I'm liking Maxi's gourmet stovies though. Ooh la la.

My mother is one of the weegies, and the stovies she makes are 1) ace and 2) made with sausages.

I have never gone back to Thains after one of their sausage rolls poisoned me the night that I'd finally managed to pull someone I'd been after for ages many years ago. Fortunately, the next day she was understanding of my very sudden need to run away from her flat...

I dont want to start any controversy here, i like stovies just as much as the next guy. However, thains is much better for steak pies. I had two pies and a pint of milk on my way home the other night and it was heavenly.

At my wedding im going to have pies from thains at the reception, champion!

I support the stovies made with beef from soup camp.

I think those in more southern parts of scotland have some fairly strange ideas when it comes to Stovies. I've got a nick nairn cookbook that contains a recipe for them with no meat whatsoever, although it does contain beef stock. The picture also does not resemble what we know and love as stovies at all.

Guest bluesxman

I went on a stag do in Inverness a while back and we had 'stovies' organised on arrival at the hotel, they turned out to be made with chicken as the meat. It was fucking disgusting.

Guest bluesxman
was that chickenm and oatmeal stovies??

well good

Nope, just shredded chicken, it had no taste whatsoever. Everyone used about 5 bottles of ketchup to try and get some kind of flavour involved.

aye stovies should have proper beef that's been used for soup or that's left over from a roast. none o this corned beef rubbish.

True but having being brought up on having corned beef with it I tend to prefer it.

Anyway you are 100% correct Thains do make the best stovies in the land.

I've never tasted better(perhaps par my Grandma's of course!).