aberdeen-music

encores

shaun

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing worse than an encore where the band come back on and play one of their shite songs. Do local bands actually do encores?

i've seen it done once or twice. Nero in exodus a few years ago, was a pretty good one. they thoroughly deserved it too.

Encores are a good way to let the crowd know the gig is nearly over. Most crowds don't really come alive until they think there's no more to come, it winds them up an extra notch

However they only work, imo, when you have a near capacity crowd, they're nearly all there to see the headline band, and the band has songs with a high enough profile to pull it off.

I hate when bands obviously plan for an encore. The decision whether an encore is played or not is not yours to make...

Nail on head.

Encores should be wanted from the audience it shouldn't be planned. Encores are corny and predictable.

I also agree with Dave regarding bands that play for too long -it's pointless. Bands should play for a decent amount of time that gives them a chance to play most of their songs but at the same time having the audience wanting more.

Not every band gets an encore though. Can't quite remember, but I think it was Finlay Quaie at the Music Hall played a rubbish gig and the crowd left as soon as he finished even though the house lights were still down.

As for short sets - if I am paying decent money for a gig, I expect to get good value for money. Jimmy Eat World only played 12 songs IIRC at the Barrowlands last year, and although it was a great gig, I was mighty pissed off that I'd travellled down to Glasgow for only 12 songs.

I like encores. Especially when they play Rocking in The Free World.

I've had this argument, sorry, discussion several times. I am plumb clean firmly in the encore camp. the crowd get to show their appreciation if the gig is good, and they tend to go more tits upon the band's return. The band, in turn, raise their game higher still. win win!

i saw The Music a couple of years back. Really enjoyed the gig, lots of energy etc, and when Disco ended and they walked off everyone kinda hung around awaitin their return. when the lights came on and roadies started packin up their equipment, folks felt a bittae short-changed. if people pay money to see a headline band, and blatantly want an encore (the clue is in the clapping, cheering and stamping of feet), then anyone criticisin the band for obligin is bein a bittae a flangebasket in ma opinion.

and of course a band doing a headline tour should practice a coupla extra tunes in the event of playin an encore. It's analogous to a team practicin penalties before a cup-tie, or keepin a sheath in yer wallet if yer goin on a date. it aint presumptuous. No harm in being prepared, just in case...

love from christy

I like encores. Especially when they play Rocking in The Free World.

hell yes - that should be made law for all bands!

to be honest, i'd rather see a hardworking band taking an encore than a band going through the motions, playing all the expected songs and leaving immediately at the end of their set. it's about building the atmosphere so that the songs which require the crowd to be pumped, get that. little whings change the dynamic of the event and can turn a mediocre performance into something special.

/x

Guest DustyDeviada

I remember a sketch on the Mary Whitehouse Experience about this: "Oh no, EMF have left the stage without playing Unbelievable, will ther be an encore?"

At least when we supported Midge Ure *cough* he made a joke about it when he came back onstage to play If I Was or Vienna or whatever that it was crap and he knew it was crap.

As for gig length, I too like to get value for money. If it's an established artist with a big back catalogue then no reason why they can't play for 2hrs plus. The best gig I've ever seen was Mark Knopfler at The Capitol and he played for 2 and a half hours. I also saw Jerry Lee Lewis in LA who played for 35 minutes.

I know which show I enjoyed more. (Mark Knopfler before some smartass says Jerry Lee!)

What about the fact that some bands might do it simply to give themselves a rest for whatever reason? Nightwish during the Tarja days had to do encores simply to give her voice a quick rest - she simply couldn't sing a lot of the songs in one go.

But yeah, how many people on here have actually played for more than 90 minutes on stage?

I resent bands who pretend to be actually leaving. Worst offender; Nick Cave, who went offstage after an hour of their Glasgow Academy set, saying "goodnight, thanks very much, etc". Only to subsequently return for a further hour of music. What's the point in that?

It was a brilliant gig though.

AKM

Guest five years

something i think alot of people are missing regarding the tiring issue is that bands who play 2 hour sets, play BECAUSE THEY CAN DO IT, i.e. the drummer doesn't get so totally dead tired that he physically cannot move, the guitar players aren't throwing themselves around like madmen, they're generally bands like rolling stones, knopfler, bon jovi etc who DO put on a good show, but the physicality of their tiredness is minimal.

for exactly this reason, you won't ever (pretty much) see a grindcore band or modern metal/hardcore band play for more than 40-50 minutes, because they are physically too tired to do so.

thus, the encore thing is purely an ego-trip for bands 'big enough' to warrent one. i'm not sure who shaun was referring to at the beginning, but he obviously felt they were not good/deserving of doing an encore.

let's not forget, it takes a certain amount of ego/confidence to (if you're not a huge band) go off-stage and come back on again..

Not sure the same could be said for local gigs but if I went to a 'big' gig by a 'big' band I'd feel a bit short-changed if I left encore-less. It's kinda become the 'done thing'...play most of the good songs, go off to tease the crowd for a bit then come back out and belt out the classics/latest single. In my opinion, the encore effect should only really apply to big bands with a lot of support and enough of a back catalogue for it to work.

I went to see the Australian Pink Floyd at the Music Hall (don't worry, I got free tickets) and they went on for about 2 and a half hours without a break, but they weren't exactly pogo-ing around. Another 'factor' in this crazy encore equation is energy level. If a band are giving their all for an hour/hour and a half then I don't see any problem with having a wee break to catch breath etc. so they can give their best possible performance for the last song(s).

If you really want to apply it to football, the encore could be like the penalty shootout. They don't go "Right you've already played for 120 minutes, but the crowd want you to keep going so quick, just go and kick the penalty!". It's all to do with suspense and excitement - playing one continuous set isn't really going to be great for the art of suspense. I dare say if the crowd weren't cheering/clapping/calling for an encore the band might think twice about coming back out again

What about the fact that some bands might do it simply to give themselves a rest for whatever reason? Nightwish during the Tarja days had to do encores simply to give her voice a quick rest - she simply couldn't sing a lot of the songs in one go.

But yeah' date=' how many people on here have actually played for more than 90 minutes on stage?[/quote']

what does it matter if anyone on here's played on stage for more than 90 minutes? you don't have experience in half the discussions you get involved with on this site so don't go pulling that rubbish now. :p

Guest lime ruined my life
Football matches don't have a break 5 or 10 minutes before the end' date=' do they?.[/quote']

if they go in to extra time they do! i'd say extra time is pretty analougous to encores :)

Guest lime ruined my life
But yeah' date=' how many people on here have actually played for more than 90 minutes on stage?[/quote']

isnt it mandatory to play over 2 hour sets at the malt mill?

Guest DustyDeviada
isnt it mandatory to play over 2 hour sets at the malt mill?

Until you wrote that I didn't remember that i DID play a full two hour set there a couple of years ago with a crappy cover band.

Worst 2 hours of my life. Ever.

But I can't say I was worn out, just embarassed.

I'll tell you what is a killer, two hour jams with a Les Paul, complete nightmare on your back.

You're all wrong!!!!!!

Encores are analogous to extra time or penalities - or both. I can't believe that not one of you utilised this perfectly appropriate and extremely ensightful comparison. Limp dicks!