aberdeen-music

cmon then babyshambles fans, defend this one

framheim

personally i guess it's just because i just don't get why people worship him' date=' let's look at the evidence:

no technical playing ability needed for any of his songs - therefore it's not because he's a great guitar player

nothing to admire about his character - junkie scumbag who ripped off his best mate and bandmember forcing a successful (though god knows why) band to part ways only to spawn 2/3 watered down offshoots that also are fucking awful.

only thing in which to see any good might be in his lyrics, which could just as easily be consigned to poetry and much easier ignored.[/quote']

yup cos you can really decide what music you like through evidence with a formulaic structures.

the same could be said about dozens of punk bands as far as technical ability goes and really any one with half a brain should realise that it counts for little.

i just dont getwhy when someone says they like the MUSIC of the Libertines of babyshambles, their reasons for liking them have to be called into disrepute.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

I saw the NME heroes list the other week and they actually questioned strongly whether he had enough relevance anymore to warrant second place due to being more famous for being in court to answer drugs charges than anything else, but I think they had a lot to do with his maintaining some kind of hero status following The Libertines in the first place. I find the fact that young kids idolise this guy seriously frightening.

As far as his music goes, personally I quite liked some of The Libertines songs, more so the first album, I kind of liked that whole ramshackle quality it had. The song 'For Lovers' he did with Wolfman I thought was lovely. The Babyshambles stuff I've heard is utter trash. I have no idea at all why people continue to support his lifestyle by supplying him with money via ticket sales and buying his 'music'.

The difference with Cobain was that they were producing some of their best work up till he died. I was a huge fan and although I knew he had troubles, the extent only became apparent after he died. He didn't seem to glorify his drug use in the same way that skank does either.

hes a fucking idiot and a complete junkie, yes that you cant argue with. However ive never felt more strongly for a band than the libertines and up the bracket was a hugely important album for me, i didnt listen to it coz the nme said so (if anyone can remember when it was released it got 7/10 i think and the nme never even talked about the libertines). He writes great lyrics and yes he is a great poet (theres no rules to say that poets cannot start a band tho). As for this incident and any other incident hes been doing lately it is completely unacceptable. However when he pulls himself together he is great live.

If he doesn't show on Monday' date=' I'll be very annoyed. Well, there is the possibility he will be in prison, you never know with Doherty.[/quote']

Sadly I don't think he'll be in prison, he has somehow managed to dodge that bullet. Its where he belongs.

Guest DustyDeviada
The song 'For Lovers' he did with Wolfman I thought was lovely.

Agreed, a great track, the only good thing I have heard that he has been involved with.

Although I don't tend to use the word "lovely".

That camera crew will have AIDS

Whatever gave you that idea? You don't seriously believe that every junkie has AIDS do you? Anyway, I think you mean HIV (the virus that leads to AIDS) otherwise he would be too ill to get out of bed, let alone get himself a fix.

I must be the only person on this forum who doesn't regularly slag folk off, but that was the most niave comment I have ever seen ?(

Guest five years
yup cos you can really decide what music you like through evidence with a formulaic structures.

the same could be said about dozens of punk bands as far as technical ability goes and really any one with half a brain should realise that it counts for little.

i just dont get why when someone says they like the MUSIC of the Libertines of babyshambles' date=' their reasons for liking them have to be called into disrepute.[/quote']

quite simply we're never going to agree on this. you may think punk bands are shit, but at least they're "famous" (depends on your interpretation of fame) for their music or standing up for their beliefs i.e. something credible.

as someone mentioned, the idea of young and impressionable people idolising doherty is scary.

i guess apart from not liking their music, it's the fact that they're really famous for every reason apart from their music: i.e. their illegal antics and the fact he's in more tabloids than music mags.

where's the fun in that?

/x

This site is just a welcome distraction from work for me, and I don't need to put others down to make myself feel better about myself but If making other people unhappy makes you feel better - you carry on! I'm sure the vast majority of the people using this site are emotionally strong enough to cope with it and the ones who arent - fuck them!

i agree the guy is way offfff his head and the media need to stop making him so public as he is a bloody bad influence on the younger generation...

If anyone whos anyone on these boards truelly admitted to themselfs how 'they' would act if they were loaded talented and in the public eye..Im sure out of us all we would have a few wallys with to much power.....I for one would be an arrogant fanny likely but id never be a junky never mind a public junky...

On a side note he was NOT injecting that unconciuos girl btw she is a known junky and was in a state of slump when he was removing the needle.....(slump aparently is what happens the second the herion takes effect it kind of knocks em bandy)

Not that im sticking up for him like......In 5 years he will be a face on a T-shirt

Whatever gave you that idea? You don't seriously believe that every junkie has AIDS do you? Anyway' date=' I think you mean HIV (the virus that leads to AIDS) otherwise he would be too ill to get out of bed, let alone get himself a fix.

I must be the only person on this forum who doesn't regularly slag folk off, but that was the most niave comment I have ever seen ?([/quote']

No, I don't.

I use the term loosely and it wasn't supposed to offend.

Aplogies etc.

Also:

In 5 years he will be a face on a T-shirt

He already is love:0442AA04KB001.gif

Whatever gave you that idea? You don't seriously believe that every junkie has AIDS do you? Anyway' date=' I think you mean HIV (the virus that leads to AIDS) otherwise he would be too ill to get out of bed, let alone get himself a fix.

[/quote']

I dont think you know what your talking about....

Full blown aids does not confine you to bed, its a disease that destroys your imune system, if you can avoid disease you can live a fairly normal life.....

"Oh Drew!

What` the matter with you?

You didn`t dig the blood..."

i think that`s pretty amusing.

though drew was understandably embarrassed.

but really, it would have been the funniest thing if he missed the camera screen and got a member of the crew instead :rolleyes:

how long you reckon he`s going to stay in babyshambles?

"Oh Drew!

What` the matter with you?

You didn`t dig the blood..."

i think that`s pretty amusing.

though drew was understandably embarrassed.

but really' date=' it would have been the funniest thing if he missed the camera screen and got a member of the crew instead :rolleyes:

how long you reckon he`s going to stay in babyshambles?[/quote']

?

i can't decide if you're joking or not.