aberdeen-music

Geldof sez: THE CLASH WERE SHIT!!!

threeornothing

Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/geldof%20the%20clash%20were%20st

Irish rocker SIR BOB GELDOF has accused his former contemporaries THE CLASH of being a s**t band who faked their punk image.

The ex-BOOMTOWN RATS star is still bitter the SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO hitmakers came to epitomise the serious punk revolution in late 1970s Britain, while his band were marginalised.

Geldof rages, "The Clash had outfits designed for them. But somehow they were supposed to have more integrity? Why? This ersatz passion was just b**locks.

"I didn't like their records until LONDON CALLING (1979 album). I said 99 per cent of the music is s**t and I was right. It hasn't survived.

"All that 'Hey right! The revolution!' tripe drove me mad! F**k off, you c**t. JOE (STRUMMER) and MICK (JONES) wanted to be MICK (JAGGER) and KEITH (RICHARDS)!

"Plain as f**king day! Yet we were frozen out."

All I have to add to that, if the Clash were shit, what the hell were the Boomtown Rats!!!!

Bob Geldof has slagged off the clash's before when mojo or Q (think it was one of them - can't remember who) did a joe strummer/clash tribute edition.

He seemed to say pretty much what he said here - they were fakes and he didn't like them until London Calling.

Without a doubt The Clash had a strong visual image. In fact is was essential to their success and their look mirrored the kind of music they were making at the time - urban paint splattered graffitied clothes complete with slogans. They didn't have McLaren and Westwood and a shop full of designed clothes like The Sex Pistols. What they did have is the tools of the street (paint, spray stencils) and Bernie Rhodes and Paul Simonon. Bernie Rhodes would have played a big part initially in helping create and define their initial look aided by Paul Simonon who spent some years at the exclusive Byam Shaw Art College in Holland Park London. Without a doubt the clothes were an extension of their sound and lyrics

i'd rather listen to white riot than i don't like mondays any day of the fucking week. the clash's first few albums feel vital and urgent and just as much today as when i first heard them, whereas geldof increasingly looks desperate, self absorbed and about as vital as a burst appendix.

and geldof's solo career is hardly packed with memorable classics!

The Great Song of Indifference is a classic. :up:

I think you have to admire him a bit for going against the popular vote and say what he thinks, we all know Geldof saying it isnt going to make anyone believe it so fair play to him for actually saying what he thought and not saying something which isnt true just because the majority feel that way. The Clash had some great songs, but then so did the Rats, Rat Trap, Banana Republic, She's so Modern are all good, and all stand up today, as does much of the Clash stuff.

I dont have a problem with him saying what he thinks about music because after all it's his opinion, I'd rather he did that than went political - that's when he becomes a twat.

Cheers

Stuart

"THE CLASH of being a s**t band who faked their punk image."

More than just about the music when he says they faked their image. I do agree with you though he has balls unlike a lot of "celebrities" who claim they listened to The Clash when they were younger in "generic poll of top 100 bands/albums/songs etc etc"

"THE CLASH of being a s**t band who faked their punk image."

More than just about the music when he says they faked their image. I do agree with you though he has balls unlike a lot of "celebrities" who claim they listened to The Clash when they were younger in "generic poll of top 100 bands/albums/songs etc etc"

Every band fakes their image to a degree - it's all co-ordinated in order to make an impression but not necessarily how they look/act when they walk down the street, look at early Rats stuff to see that he's as guilty as anyone, it's a fair comment to make, but also hypocritical.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Mr Blastcap

ten pence worth

am i the only person that thinks both the Clash and Boomtown rats are shit, God i hope not. Both G A S H.

the clash have no tunes, its just shouting.

am i the only person that thinks both the Clash and Boomtown rats are shit' date=' God i hope not. Both G A S H.

the clash have no tunes, its just shouting.[/quote']

Well I don't think they're shit but neither do I think either were god's gift to music either.

Geldof is a bitter man but some of the comments are reasonable.

am i the only person that thinks both the Clash and Boomtown rats are shit' date=' God i hope not. Both G A S H.

the clash have no tunes, its just shouting.[/quote']

WHITE RIOT!

TOMMY GUN!

Not a huge fan but they have a few of my all time all time faves!

Geldof's a mouth, sometimes good and bad and sometimes bad a neccessary evil