aberdeen-music

Movies With Great Rock Themes or Guest Appearances...

Diesel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still Crazy has to be one of my favourites and not because Jimmy Nail is in it. More because I like the music in a cheesy rock cliche kind of way.

Almost famous is another one. "Do you have anything to say to your fans?" "I'm on drugs" haha classic.

As for cameos, I'm sure Noel Gallagher had a cameo as a bus driver in a Johnny Depp film? The name evades me. Anyone?

Jagger

:laughing: Last one before I get back to doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be getting paid for :laughing:

Performance - with Mick Jagger, especially for the "video-within-a-movie" of Jagger singing "Memo from Turner" - it's absolutely YEARS ahead of it's time.

The film came out in '70 and you can see it's influence on Tarantino, Guy Ritchie, Paul McGuigan etc.

A brilliant gangster flick, directed by Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg that has sick violence, kinky sex scenes and weird post-60's imagery - what more do you want?

Trivia - The gangster who's pursuing James Fox's character was a real-life London underworld boss.

Trivia - Jagger has a sex scene with Anita Pallenberg, who was Keef's burd at the time. Apparently there was some friction (pun intended) :laughing:

Guest DustyDeviada

Ironically the guitar that Michael J Fox "plays" in Back to the Future (I think it was Rick Derringer who actually played what you hear) was a 1960s model ES-345. Maybe the guitar player from the band had a time machine as well? ;)

I remember it very well' date=' cos people kept telling me I looked like the main character.

Awful film, and even more awful to suffer years of comparison.[/quote']

Could be worse, when you had long hair I couldn't tell the difference between you and captain Tom :D

Oh an Quadrophenia is the best music related film, despite a cameo from Sting...

Slayer did have a song on the soundtrack of a film in the late 80's but i can't remember what film or what song they used!

I think it was the 'less than zero' soundtrack they were on - they did iron butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Not heard it, but i'm sure i saw the soundtrack in fopp a while back for about 2. Had aerosmith and danzig on it too.

It's got to be Little Nicky -

The soundtrack is brilliant - Nicky playing air guitar to Running With The Devil at the beginning is ace - "Just jammin'!"

The two satanists are the best characters ever! "Kick his ass, Nicky"

Ozzy bites the head off of a bat at the end - brilliant.

And Harvey Kietel as Satan himself is unbeatable. Were it not for Tithead and a talking dog :up:

Anachronism

Ironically the guitar that Michael J Fox "plays" in Back to the Future (I think it was Rick Derringer who actually played what you hear) was a 1960s model ES-345. Maybe the guitar player from the band had a time machine as well? ;)

Dusty - you ARE the Gibson uber-geek :up:

Good spot though - I'm not really up on vintage guitars' date=' but I thought it looked kinda "new" for the era.

Hey - there's another potential thread - [b']Musical Anachronisms (look it up), where music/kit is used, or a reference made from time-frame AHEAD of that in which the movie is set.

"Detroit Rock City" has one where a song form '79 is used and the movie is set in '78.

(now who's the geek :laughing: )

DZL

Man' date=' those films are bad.[/quote']

Do you think so?

They're dated to be sure, but "Stardust" is a fairly accurate portrayal of "pop will eat itself" as Essex's characters expectations exceed his capabilities.

Adam Faith is brill as the slimy manager - "You can't die!!! I own half of you!!!"

DZL

200 motels did nothing for me I'm afraid - I just watched it so I could say that I have.

"Head" - the Monkees film is a much easier to watch - (directed by Jack Nicholson I believe) and also stars Frank Zappa in a cameo (with a talking ox on a string).

Bad News and More Bad News by the comic strip are also worth a mention. I'm fairly sure (although I don't have the exact facts at my fingertips, and can't be arsed googling) that "Bad News" came out before Spinal Tap. Eminently quotable and very funny.

Not so much a movie as a documentary ("rockumentary") is "The Last Waltz" - film of The Band's final concert, with heaps of special guests (Dylan, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Wood, Neil Young, Muddy Waters, etc) - great film.

Regards

Flossie

Guest bluesxman

I forgot about Tom Waits - Rumblefish, Short Cuts, The Outsiders, Dracula, Down By Law and Domino all have good Waits appearances. Joe Strummer was OK in Mystery Train. Anyone else spot time Booth from James' fleeting appearance in Batman Begins. like, blink and you will miss him. I Had to watch the end credits to see if he was mentioned cos I thought I spotted him.

Bad News and More Bad News by the comic strip are also worth a mention. I'm fairly sure (although I don't have the exact facts at my fingertips' date=' and can't be arsed googling) that "Bad News" came out before Spinal Tap. Eminently quotable and very funny.

[/quote']

Bad New does indeed pre-date the mighty 'Tap - according to the official "This is Spinal Tap" companion Bad news came out in 82 (two years before the 'Tap) but the success of Spinal Tap prompted the writing of "More Bad News"

Oh, and before I forget - the Johnny B. Goode guitar part in BTTF was played by a well known session muso called Tim May - see http://www.timmayguitar.com/Interviews.htm for more info.

Airheads raised a chuckle at the time it was released as well but that was ages and ages ago and might be shite if I watched it these days.

'Singles' anyone?

Airheads is one of my favourites. "How can you pluralise The Lone Rangers?"

Doesn't singles have the Pearl Jam drummer in it or something?