aberdeen-music

How many have to die?

GraemeC

How many non-addicts have to die through ingesting methadone before someone realises that this killer drug should not be dispenced for home consumption?

There is no need for this poison to ever leave the chemist or clinic....

Or does anyone disagree....and why?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many non-addicts have to die through ingesting methadone before someone realises that this killer drug should not be dispenced for home consumption?

It was a kid this week wasnt it?

Horrid

Errr, loads of people get prescribed loads of dangerous drugs for home consumption. Surely the argument is about wether a junkie is a fit person to be looking after a toddler, not wether methadone should be available for home consumption because one kid drank it.

Should bleach be banned from homes?

maybe the stuff shouldn't taste so good either' date=' no idea what it tastes like but I am sure if it tasted vile then the kids wont touch it.[/quote']

The problem is, you cant tell if it tastes bad until you taste it, and even for an adult who doesn't have tolerance to opiates a small amount will kill you.

No the only way is to never let the stuff out of the chemist.....or better still find a better way of treating this horrible addiction, or preventing people getting hooked in the first place might be an idea.

G...

Errr' date=' loads of people get prescribed loads of dangerous drugs for home consumption. Surely the argument is about wether a junkie is a fit person to be looking after a toddler, not wether methadone should be available for home consumption because one kid drank it.

Should bleach be banned from homes?[/quote']

Have you any idea how many people die from taking methadone? its not just kids who are at risk, drug curious people with no resistance to opiates die on a regular basis..... my son included.

Guest tv tanned
The problem is' date=' you cant tell if it tastes bad until you taste it, and even for an adult who doesn't have tolerance to opiates a small amount will kill you.

No the only way is to never let the stuff out of the chemist.....or better still find a better way of treating this horrible addiction, or preventing people getting hooked in the first place might be an idea.

G...[/quote']

There are many chemists which do not allow the user to take methadone off the premises and demand that it is taken on the spot. I agree with this idea and think it should be compulsory practice.

Also, this ridiculous notion that somehow because kids can get their hands on other hazardous substances we shouldn't introduce a ban on methadone being taken outside of a pharmacy. Just because, for want of a better example, bleach, a necessary household product, can damage a child doesn't mean we should not do everything in our power to prevent other substances being introduced into households.

The argument about whether a junkie is fit to look after a child is a compelling one, but one suspects if they are receiving methadone treatment they were probably trying to kick the habit. The simple fact of the matter is if the methadone had not been present in the house, then the child would not have ingested it.

There are many chemists which do not allow the user to take methadone off the premises and demand that it is taken on the spot. I agree with this idea and think it should be compulsory practice.

Also' date=' this ridiculous notion that somehow because kids can get their hands on other hazardous substances we shouldn't introduce a ban on methadone being taken outside of a pharmacy. Just because, for want of a better example, bleach, a necessary household product, can damage a child doesn't mean we should not do everything in our power to prevent other substances being introduced into households.

The argument about whether a junkie is fit to look after a child is a compelling one, but one suspects if they are receiving methadone treatment they were probably trying to kick the habit. The simple fact of the matter is if the methadone had not been present in the house, then the child would not have ingested it.[/quote']

I was under the impression that methadone is not allowed to be taken out of the chemist and that the person under rehabilitation had to take it on the premises.

I thought that for this very reason' date=' most health authorities had stopped or severely restricted the despensing of Methadone longsince. IIRC there was a couple of very similar tragedies some years back which led to this policy?

Of course, I'm also aware that many pharmacies take flack from "normal" people for dispensing to addicts on site as well.

The child-rearing/junkie argument is a very different one & unquestionably needs to be reviewed on an individual case basis. Setting overall policy as a knee-jerk to a [b']very rare event could be just as bad in the long run.

Also, the whole issue of Methadone treatment itself & the amount of commercial self-interest vested in it by the producers & firms who market off the peg "treatment programs" is also another issue to watch.

yea totally with ya on this. Why can't it be drunk down at the clinic/chemist is beyond me.

Something just not right when its allowed to be taken home:swearing:

Have you any idea how many people die from taking methadone? its not just kids who are at risk' date=' drug curious people with no resistance to opiates die on a regular basis..... my son included.[/quote']

Info here, Table 5:

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/library/drug-related-deaths/04drug-related-deaths.html#table5

Very roughly & depending on year, it seems that methadone deaths run at around half to a third of other opiate casualties in Scotland & indeed, far from being a safer alternative, Methadone has a set of very particular side-effects & problems associated with it that have never made it the best choice for a treatment/rehabilitation drug.

Which takes me back to the commercial interests mentioned in my last post. :(

There is also another very pertinent issue. As well as widely differing physical response to opiates, a very significant percentage of people (@ 20-30% OTOH) lack the neural pathways to process opiates, so get no real effect from them & in an experimental situation, are highly succeptable to overdose.

You got a good point specially with the paper talking about that wee lass who was killed by her mother's boyfriend and then the mother put her in a suitcase and threw her into the canal (Inverness). Both mother and her partner were into drugs big time and it appears that loads of people let this little girl down.

So, yea good point.... perhaps if your a junkie :

A. you shouldn't be allowed to have in your possession harmful drugs

B. or your children if your persistence shows you are not getting off the drugs, should be safely in care.

I guess in an ideal world both would happen, but the world ain't ideal, is it??(

Errr' date=' loads of people get prescribed loads of dangerous drugs for home consumption. Surely the argument is about wether a junkie is a fit person to be looking after a toddler, not wether methadone should be available for home consumption because one kid drank it.

Should bleach be banned from homes?[/quote']

too true. I use to foster many moons ago and mainly teens, and the little ones did appear to adjust much better.

Sometimes the best solutions aren't very nice, but sometimes if there is no natural family to take the wee one in, care is the only option.

8)

i think Rob got it spot on - why were junkies allowed to care for a three year old?>!

disgraceful. but then again removing a child from it's perental home brings it's own problems.

see what im suprised about is isnt methadone given in CHILD proof little medicine/pill bottles.

Im also under the impression ALL methadone users get double doze on a saturday as chemists arent open on a sunday thus meaning they get it home..

I may be wrong

i have to agree there should be stricter procedures regarding junkies and kids and home usage of prescribed meth

I thought that for this very reason' date=' most health authorities had stopped or severely restricted the despensing of Methadone longsince. IIRC there was a couple of very similar tragedies some years back which led to this policy?

Of course, I'm also aware that many pharmacies take flack from "normal" people for dispensing to addicts on site as well.

The child-rearing/junkie argument is a very different one & unquestionably needs to be reviewed on an individual case basis. Setting overall policy as a knee-jerk to a [b']very rare event could be just as bad in the long run.

Also, the whole issue of Methadone treatment itself & the amount of commercial self-interest vested in it by the producers & firms who market off the peg "treatment programs" is also another issue to watch.

Part of the problem is that most people believe the prescribing of methadone is a treatment..... and its not, methadone is just as (if not more so) adictive as heroine.

The reason its prescribed is to substitute the addicts requirement for heroin which of course is illegal and creates a lot of crime mostly by users who steal/prostitute/beg for the money to buy the smack, its only if its managed by a very responsible doctor to someone determined to come off smack that it could be described as treatment.

Like someone here said, many people who are on a daily dispense (taking their methadone in the chemist each day) need to take their sunday dose away with them on saturdays. There are chemists in aberdeen that dispense 7 days, but not many.

Also, compulsory daily dispense means that the person in question can't do anything that involves them being away from whichever city they stay in for more than 24 hours. If you're on a prescription long term this can cause all sorts of problems.

Like someone here said' date=' many people who are on a daily dispense (taking their methadone in the chemist each day) need to take their sunday dose away with them on saturdays. There are chemists in aberdeen that dispense 7 days, but not many.

Also, compulsory daily dispense means that the person in question can't do anything that involves them being away from whichever city they stay in for more than 24 hours. If you're on a prescription long term this can cause all sorts of problems.[/quote']

If you need a prescripton of methadone, you already have long term problems!

Like someone here said' date=' many people who are on a daily dispense (taking their methadone in the chemist each day) need to take their sunday dose away with them on saturdays. There are chemists in aberdeen that dispense 7 days, but not many.

Also, compulsory daily dispense means that the person in question can't do anything that involves them being away from whichever city they stay in for more than 24 hours. If you're on a prescription long term this can cause all sorts of problems.[/quote']

I hate to appear heartless but "BIG FUCKING DEAL"

These people are fucked up and cant be relied on to be responsible with a drug such as methadone.....there has to be a better way.

G...

What's your thoughts on Tommy Sheridans idea of making Heroin available on the NHS so it can be properly dispensed to addicts to reduce the chances of overdoses and other dangers?

I dont know too much about this idea but was just wondering what your thought of this controversial policy Graeme?