aberdeen-music

JUKEBOX

Flash@TMB

The jukebox upgrade will likely occur next week. All the components for the new machine have arrived.

The new jukebox will hold a whopping 1440 CDs thanks to two of these suckers:

http://www.kintronics.com/drm5004x.html#DRM-5004X

Each is kitted out with 2 head units which will make changes instantaneous as it will have the next CD loaded up and ready to go in advance. The intial load time is <4 secs! These connect into our mixing desk on a 96KHz digital input, so the sound quality should be fantastic. Having 2 units and 4 heads also gives us some resiliance should anything go tits up...

Selection is via a 19" touchscreen which will be located midway down the bar, where the DJs stand.

The day of the hand written inlay card is over :( So the regulars can breathe a sigh of relief :), instead we have to upload inlay cards and track listings for each album. This is time consuming, so please do not expect all 1440 albums to be available on the first day. In fact the selection may be a little flakey to start with as there are still 100 CDs in the existing jukebox that will need swapped over.

We can include customers CDs, but these must be the original media, in the original packaging.

The installation is planned for Tuesday.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've loaded about 300. Probably at least another 300 downstairs, plus some more at home. With the 2 existing changers we can hold 1440 CDs, but I can add more changers if required with a capacity of another 720 CDs each. Not sure what the limit is, probably 15 LMAO! But they are REALLY FUCKIN EXPENSIVE (even secondhand) so this two better last a long long time. Reckon it will take the best part of a year to fill a changer at the present rate. The time consuming part is typing in all the track listings. The biro and paper really was superior to the new technology in that respect...

Why don't you just take the beer straight out of Pete's mouth' date=' and knock his barstool out from under him while it's still warm! Tsk.[/quote']

2 heads are better then one :p

2 heads are better then one :p

But if you help then it means I'd be paying you instead of Pete and that would upset him. He needs this overtime to drink and party 7 nights a week. And everytime he types out a hundred inlays we let him add a Manowar CD into the 'Gay Metal' section.

• 9 months later...
Yes it has to go into the CD loader, in order for the jukebox to play it. We're not allowed to put burnt discs into the loaders, must be the original.

If you just tell me the CD I can go and buy it, it's no big deal!

Ah, I see, although you may not be too fond of what I'd like to put on. :)

I notice an extreme lack of any jazz, hip hop, electronica and hybrids of the three. I'd recommend the following:

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Heiroglyphics - Third Eye Vision

Aim - Cold Water Music (Although Flight 602 would be easier to obtain)

The Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (Although the song lengths may piss off others)

Yuzo Koshiro - Streets of Rage soundtrack ;)

Any Funkadelic/Parliament 'best of'

Stanley Clarke - School Days

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour :p

Mew - any

The Cure - Mixed Up

Sly & The Family Stone - Best of

Acoustic Ladyland - Last Chance Disco

Nuyorican Soul

The Jam - Sound Affects

Any generic latin jazz/bossa compilation

Sorry, that list might be a bit too big. 8-)

Ah, I see, although you may not be too fond of what I'd like to put on. :)

I notice an extreme lack of any jazz, hip hop, electronica and hybrids of the three. I'd recommend the following:

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Heiroglyphics - Third Eye Vision

Aim - Cold Water Music (Although Flight 602 would be easier to obtain)

The Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (Although the song lengths may piss off others)

Yuzo Koshiro - Streets of Rage soundtrack ;)

Any Funkadelic/Parliament 'best of'

Stanley Clarke - School Days

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour :p

Mew - any

The Cure - Mixed Up

Sly & The Family Stone - Best of

Acoustic Ladyland - Last Chance Disco

Nuyorican Soul

The Jam - Sound Affects

Any generic latin jazz/bossa compilation

Sorry, that list might be a bit too big. 8-)

We'd need to tread carefully with o hip hop, but the rest is fine. There are Smiths and Cure in there also. We don't have a complete updated list; the ones on here are 18 months out of date. There are currently over 400 hundred albums in there at present... but the loaders can hold a maximum of (if memory serves me correctly) 1440! If you add all the previous listings together you get something approaching it's current selection.

We'd need to tread carefully with o hip hop, but the rest is fine.

Yeah no worries, although Heiroglyphics/Aim are actual good hip hop with little to no expletives whatsoever (if that is what the concern is about).

There are Smiths and Cure in there also.

Yeah, I knew this already. It was more of a personal choice because I think Hatful of Hollow (being a compilation of BBC sessions etc.) is a much better range of songs than any other Smiths album, and Mixed Up is by far the best thing The Cure ever did.

Ideally, it would be great if you restricted 'Du Hast', 'Orion' and 'More than a Feeling' so that folk don't put them on every two hours. :)

Yeah no worries, although Heiroglyphics/Aim are actual good hip hop with little to no expletives whatsoever (if that is what the concern is about).

The expletives are not an issue, just whether the quality of the hip hop, but I'll take your advice on that.

Remember this is the bar that, when a middle aged couple, both Camra members, having just arrived from Kent (or somewhere posh sounding) on a train, walked in clutching Good Beer Guides, waddled over the handpumps, and ordered two half pints of Old Beardy Wierdy... only for the jukebox to quickly pipe up about how "I WANNA FUCK A DOG IN THE ASS". Cue red faces and two quickly emptied half pint glasses.

The expletives are not an issue, just whether the quality of the hip hop, but I'll take your advice on that.

Remember this is the bar that, when a middle aged couple, both Camra members, having just arrived from Kent (or somewhere posh sounding) on a train, walked in clutching Good Beer Guides, waddled over the handpumps, and ordered two half pints of Old Beardy Wierdy... only for the jukebox to quickly pipe up about how "I WANNA FUCK A DOG IN THE ASS". Cue red faces and two quickly emptied half pint glasses.

Really? Would they not be put off by many, many things on the jukebox, such as Cannibal Corpse and Cindi Lauper? ;)

• 1 month later...