aberdeen-music

Tax / Pay - need help!

Mick Maverik

Hey, I just got paid 30 of the 160 I earned this month. I was told this was because I had been overpaid last month by mistake, and they've just re-cooped their losses. It turns out this is the case. My loan had just come in around the same time, so I didn't notice the extra money. Now I'm left with 30 to live off for a month, as my loan is all spent up on Uni accomodation and nights out! Is this kind of practice allowed? It was my understanding that if your employer fucks up, they have to wait, and claim the money back in tax from the inland revenue? Does anyone know anything more in-depth about this? Or have any useful links?

Cheers, Andy

i thought by law they couldnt just take it? some like payback schemes the usual aint it?

That's what I thought. But I want to know exactly what I'm talking about when I go shout at them. So if anyone has any experience with this, and could give me, or point me to the relevant information, it'd be much appreciated!

Andy

Bollocks' date=' that kinda sucks. Ah well, cheers for the info.[/quote']

The problem with PAYE/Inland Revenue is that they expect you as the employee to be 100% responsible, so if you ever get overpaid, you should be reporting it to the employer post haste.

Unlucky.......

I had underpaid tax last year by about 400 pounds, but its wasn't deducted straight off my next payslip. I was contacted by the Inland Revenue at the end of the tax quarter (June I think) and notified that my tax code would be adjusted to take account of the overpayment.

Obviously this mean't that my tax was slighty higher over the next tax year to cover the shortfall, after which they contacted me again with another notification which took my tax code back down to its original level.

It is your employer who calculates your pay - including your tax based on your current tax code, in my opinion they should have left it for the Inland Revenue to sort out. If it was me I would go back to them and tell them to sort it out immediately...30 wouldn't last me one day!!!

I had underpaid tax last year by about 400 pounds' date=' but its wasn't deducted straight off my next payslip. I was contacted by the Inland Revenue at the end of the tax quarter (June I think) and notified that my tax code would be adjusted to take account of the overpayment.

Obviously this mean't that my tax was slighty higher over the next tax year to cover the shortfall, after which they contacted me again with another notification which took my tax code back down to its original level.

It is your employer who calculates your pay - including your tax based on your current tax code, in my opinion they should have left it for the Inland Revenue to sort out. If it was me I would go back to them and tell them to sort it out immediately...30 wouldn't last me one day!!![/quote']

Hmm?...on second thoughts are you saying that your employer used the wrong tax code in your wages calculation?...if so they should recoup the money themselves....but theres no reason why they couldn't have taken back say 5 or 10 at a time...it sounds like the wages dept for whoever it is you work for is carrying out an arse covering exercise (ACE)...and trying to sort the situation quickly and quietly at your expense....again I would go back to them and demand they sort it out....furthermore after further consideration I don't think 30 quid would last me til lunchtime!!!

Hmm?...on second thoughts are you saying that your employer used the wrong tax code in your wages calculation?...if so they should recoup the money themselves....but theres no reason why they couldn't have taken back say 5 or 10 at a time...it sounds like the wages dept for whoever it is you work for is carrying out an arse covering exercise (ACE)...and trying to sort the situation quickly and quietly at your expense....again I would go back to them and demand they sort it out....furthermore after further consideration I don't think 30 quid would last me til lunchtime!!!

i agree :|

Hey' date=' I just got paid 30 of the 160 I earned this month. I was told this was because I had been overpaid last month by mistake, and they've just re-cooped their losses. It turns out this is the case. My loan had just come in around the same time, so I didn't notice the extra money. Now I'm left with 30 to live off for a month, as my loan is all spent up on Uni accomodation and nights out! Is this kind of practice allowed? It was my understanding that if your employer fucks up, they have to wait, and claim the money back in tax from the inland revenue? Does anyone know anything more in-depth about this? Or have any useful links?

Cheers, Andy[/quote']

:laughing:

If you're a student you shouldnt get taxed, if they're taking tax off you that is and not that you were overpaid by a hundred quid last month.

Talk to your works account department about getting a P38S form, this is a student tax exemption form that should stop your work taking tax out of your pay, as you shouldnt have to pay if you are a student.

If you're a student you shouldnt get taxed' date=' if they're taking tax off you that is and not that you were overpaid by a hundred quid last month.

Talk to your works account department about getting a P38S form, this is a student tax exemption form that should stop your work taking tax out of your pay, as you shouldnt have to pay if you are a student.[/quote']

If you go to the tax office for any reason, one poster you will see up is the one stating that students are not excempt from paying tax.

There are special rules about tax for students who only work in the Easter, summer, and Christmas holidays. These special rules do not apply if you also work at other times. If you work at other times, the special rules will not apply to any of your earnings, from holiday work or other work.

So if you are a student, and you do paid work in term time, the special rules will not apply to you. The normal rules for tax and National Insurance will apply to all your earnings, (term time and holidays) in the same way that they do for other people who are not students.

taken from here

If you go to the tax office for any reason' date=' one poster you will see up is the one stating that students are not excempt from paying tax.[/quote']

But remeber that if you earn less than 5000 (it's just under that, but 5k is a close enough figure) in any tax year, then a refund is due at the end of the tax year.

But remeber that if you earn less than 5000 (it's just under that' date=' but 5k is a close enough figure) in any tax year, then a refund is due at the end of the tax year.[/quote']

I never mentioned anything about that, my personal annoyance is the way everyone assumes if your a student you don't pay tax, whereas i've been paying tax since i was 18, and i've only worked full time for two full years, all the rest i've worked part time while studying.

I never mentioned anything about that' date=' my personal annoyance is the way everyone assumes if your a student you don't pay tax, whereas i've been paying tax since i was 18, and i've only worked full time for two full years, all the rest i've worked part time while studying.[/quote']

It seems unfair to me that the people that can afford not to work during term-time are exempt, whereas the people who have to work during term time aren't, for their holiday earnings.

"There's one law for the rich, another for the poor. In fact, there's several laws for the rich, most of them quite good, they can pick and choose which laws they like..." Peter Cook, 1995

It seems unfair to me that the people that can afford not to work during term-time are exempt' date=' whereas the people who have to work during term time aren't, for their holiday earnings.

"There's one law for the rich, another for the poor. In fact, there's several laws for the rich, most of them quite good, they can pick and choose which laws they like..." Peter Cook, 1995[/quote']

It's not that bad actually Ian.

Everyone pays no tax on their first 4,700 or so a year, which works out to be roughly 80 per week. Anyone who works 52 weeks a year therefore pays no tax on the first 80 a week.

If you are a student, and only work in the holidays (Say 3 months a year) you can fill out a form and roll up all that tax free amount into those three months, so you pay no tax on your first 320 over those three months but get no allowance if you work any other time of the year.

The only difference is that if you are a student you are entitled to claim the money there and then, rather than wait til the end of the tax year and claim the money back as a non student would do

Hey' date=' I just got paid 30 of the 160 I earned this month. I was told this was because I had been overpaid last month by mistake, and they've just re-cooped their losses. It turns out this is the case. My loan had just come in around the same time, so I didn't notice the extra money. Now I'm left with 30 to live off for a month, as my loan is all spent up on Uni accomodation and nights out! Is this kind of practice allowed? It was my understanding that if your employer fucks up, they have to wait, and claim the money back in tax from the inland revenue? Does anyone know anything more in-depth about this? Or have any useful links?

Cheers, Andy[/quote']

Everyone seems to be going on about tax, the problem was an overpayment by the employer and nothing to do with paye as far as I can tell.

An overpayment should be picked up by the employee, if it causes hardship I think most employers would show some kindness and defer recovery of the full amount.

Guest bluesxman
An overpayment should be picked up by the employee' date=' if it causes hardship I think most employers would show some kindness and defer recovery of the full amount.[/quote']

I agree, an employer with an ounce of decency would recognise that recouping in one go is going to be a problem for someone earning a low amount and could have organised some sort of instalment payments.

I used to work as a Payroll Officer at the NHS and what has happened to you is perfectly legal (I'm sorry to say).

All overpayments are reclaimed from the employee's net pay. The employer's and employee's contributions to PAYE and NIC are not taken into consideration in this kind of circumsatnce.

I recommend you speak to your wages department and see if this overpaymnet can be repaid over regular instalments agreeable to you both. The vast majority of employers should be able to do this unless their payroll duties are outsourced to the likes of an accounting firm or payroll service.

Let me know what your tax code is as well. All being well you should be NT but only if you are working during college/university holidays. If you are working during term time and thtroughout the year your tax code will be the generic 489L (the L denoting cumulative). This means that each week for the tax year (52.14 weeks) you will not contribute any tax or National Insurance for the first £94.52 (estimated) you earn on a weekly basis.

I hope this helps

Steve