aberdeen-music

The Darkness

Mouse

theyr working on it now. Justin has said in many interviews the new material is fucking awesome....if its anythin like the material they put on as B-sides, which is also their newer material, then i believe them.

i can see it being a bloody good album, to be honest. i think theyv got what it takes. just as long as they keep their feet on the ground and not be like Weezer or someone who blows their head so far up their own ass that their second album is one that only they themselves would listen to.

there wont be songs like I Believe or Get Your Hands off my woman, i think the songwriting is maturing/has been maturing all the time since Permission to land was released, and this will be a nice grown up proper rock record.

dont bring up the christmas song, its hard to write a christmas song without sounding gay.

Hopefully never... easily the worst band of last year. When we saw them supporting Def Leppard they were out of tune, crap and I've never disliked a support slot so much before. I find them annoying, Justin comes across like a twat, and certainly seemed that way when we met them, he just seemed like an arrogant fuckwit and I had to stop one of the guys who was with us from smacking him one as he was being so up himself and pissing off the people chatting there. I really hope that they quit whilst they're ahead because the joke'll have grown thin by the time for a next album !!

Cheers

Sstuart

Originally posted by jester1470:

Hopefully never... easily the worst band of last year. When we saw them supporting Def Leppard they were out of tune, crap and I've never disliked a support slot so much before. I find them annoying, Justin comes across like a twat, and certainly seemed that way when we met them, he just seemed like an arrogant fuckwit and I had to stop one of the guys who was with us from smacking him one as he was being so up himself and pissing off the people chatting there. I really hope that they quit whilst they're ahead because the joke'll have grown thin by the time for a next album !!

Cheers

Sstuart

Well said....

The bottom of the barrel has been scraped, surely no more.... although the public may wake up to the joke that's being played. The UK music industry is at an all time low if those clowns are lauded.

i really dont know what to think about the darkness.

the album is great fun to listen to but lets face it, j hawkins seems to be a total knob. i dont know him personally but the way he comes accross in interviews doesnt help me like him any more.

i got into the darkness quite early on before they got big. i was at their last gig at king tuts but had their ep a few months before it was released on a cdr (i used to live with a relative of the bassist).i bought the ep when it was released off the website and i just sold it (signed) on ebay for 135 because i think the bubble is going to burst very soon.

i dont think they are a joke band but their act is wearing quite thin. its obvious that they're having fun which is great and they are getting people into queen and ac/dc which is definietly a positive.

i think it was an absolute scandal that they walked away with best british rock at the brits. say what you want about stereophonics but i think they're fucking ace and the new album is on a par with their first (which was untouchable in the brit-pop indie period of the 90's). feeder have had two amazing albums (polythene and yesterday went too soon) and two commercialy successful and very strong albums (echo park and comfort). muse have always been super good (even though showbiz attracted somne unfair radiohead comparisons) but for the darkness to win against these bands was a total joke.

don't quite know what the purpose of that rant was but it feels good to get it off my chest.

I personally felt that Muse should have got the best rock act.. Phonics, well i used to be a fan, but im afriad i lost interest when i saw themup here at their last show... they werent the classic phonics... But as you say they should not have won that award when they were up against the other nominees...

I dont think they are a joke, and personally I dont mind listening to them now and then, they brought back classic guitar rock, which I am glad about, but granted they have some big flaws... but still i aint gonna slate them as hard as many do.

I thinkt hat's the problem I have with them, beyond the fact thati think than Justin has the worst voice in music, I cringe when threy get compare to Queen, they just all seem like a bunch of twats. For me to rally like a band I have to feel some kind of connection with them, I don't with then, because I just want to smack Justin. We met them at the Glasgow Barra's Def Leppard gig where they supported and he was a major twat, acting like a major rock star, and at the time he was a guy in a support band who didn't have a deal. Nothing wrong with a bit of rock'n'roll attitude, but at least you should have earned it. It's one thing to have that attitude onstage, even in interviews, but quite another to have wt woith the fans !! He's a twat and I can't wait to see them fall into obscurity when people get bored of the one trick pony.

Cheers

Stuart

i really can't see the darkness having much staying power, as a rock band they're ok but their sound is so steeped in the past its hard to imagine they could really do much more than what they're doing at the moment, they've had an extraordinarily good run and should quit whilst their ahead.

Originally posted by Jammer:

Well said....

The bottom of the barrel has been scraped, surely no more.... although the public may wake up to the joke that's being played. The UK music industry is at an all time low if those clowns are lauded.

The music industry has been at a low the last decade. Talentless Hip-hop, R&B & pop acts or bands like the Darkness? I know where I'd rather be.

Guest iamkelly
Originally posted by Jammer:

Well said....

AMEN. :kiss:

I love it when people say "the public" are so out of step and don't know what they like or what's good for them to listen to. Pure unadulterated arrogance. Sorry guys if that's what is popular, then it's you that are doing something wrong. If you were right, the charts would be full of pseudo punk and unaccessible alternative weirdness masquerading as cool. It's like Harold Shipman saying," but hey, it's not me that's mad, it's the rest of the world!!"

And no I'm not a darkness fan.

Originally posted by Ibid:

I love it when people say "the public" are so out of step and don't know what they like or what's good for them to listen to. Pure unadulterated arrogance. Sorry guys if that's what is popular, then it's you that are doing something wrong. If you were right, the charts would be full of pseudo punk and unaccessible alternative weirdness masquerading as cool. It's like Harold Shipman saying," but hey, it's not me that's mad, it's the rest of the world!!"

And no I'm not a darkness fan.

Have to agree, although the Darkness are an example of overhyped shit. It could be argued that the charts aren't necessarilly what is the most liked of the available stuff, but it is the most easily heard. It is getting easier and easier to manipulate the charts with a dedicated fanbase etc. For an example see John Otway last year, or what will quite possibly be Marillion's first chart success in 10 years in April, being in the charts no longer means you're the best or even the most popular.

As for whether I'd rather have the disposeable pop or bands like the Darkness then I'd rather have disposeable pop because they don't really pretend to be anything else, whereas the Darkness make out like they're the saviours of rock music, whereas if the public are led to believe that 'classic' rock music sounds like them then they've done a lot more damage than good, a lot of the best 'classic' rock was about being original, doing stuff well and differently, whereas there's nothing original about 'The Darkness', and evenm the musicianship is only average,

Cheers

Stuart

Originally posted by scottNP:

Weezer or someone who blows their head so far up their own ass that their second album is one that only they themselves would listen to.

I thought the whole point of writing music is to write music that you yourself like?

Originally posted by scottNP:

i can see it being a bloody good album, to be honest. i think theyv got what it takes. just as long as they keep their feet on the ground and not be like Weezer or someone who blows their head so far up their own ass that their second album is one that only they themselves would listen to.

Get a grip of yourself man, Weezer's second album is their greatest by a country mile. A masterpiece almost (cue emo-related comments). The Darkness rule, and will be around for a long time to come I believe.