aberdeen-music

The Darkness

Mouse

Originally posted by Dechristianise:

Well dunno but they are better than alot of the "popular" shit going around lately i.e stuff on kerrang and metal hammer

Ah but at least a lot of the new crap haven't stolen everything from far superior bands that have gone before, at least they try to be original whereas The Darkness try to be as derivative as possible !!

Cheers

Stuart

You don't need new instruments you silly boy. The guitar has so many unexplored directions with and without the aid of effects etc. Only 10 years ago we had grunge, a little further back we saw the birth of thrash/heavy metal. The guitar has only been around for around 100years in it's current electric form so I personally think there is ample oppertunity for new styles...regardless of wether they show some influences from other genres...as ripping off and being influenced are different.

Playing an old style on a new instrument wouldn't make it original, it's the style, not the instrumentation, I have nothing against people taking inspoiration from other bands, but i tend to find the darkness to be a carbon copy stylistically of other bands, there's not a shred of originality anywhere, and therefore will stagnate quickly. They have 2 choices, which is to continue with the complete pastiche that they have done, and people will get bored, or they could try to be more original, which admittedly may allow them to survive but will lose them the commercial edge and the fans they've made through charting etc, either way The Darkness in the form and size they are now can't survive, who knows they may go on to do something interesting and original, but if they do, i can't see them maintaining the high sales etc, they're riding ona wave of nostalgia, and by the time the next album comes out, nostalgia will be looking for something else,

Cheers

Stuart

Queen are one of the greatest bands of all time, they helped revolutionise the way music was played and it makes me sick when people compare The Darkness to Queen. Queen pretty much got me into rock music, and there's still never been a singer to beat Freddie, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitarist than Brian,

Cheers

Stuart

Originally posted by hog dev fucker:

Good article about the Wildhearts in this months bizzare magazine Mr Lucifer, the drummer has a very funny squint though ha ha!

I got it, it also has an ace Nikki Sixx interview. Ginger's interview isn't so much a series of questions and answers, but more of a two page rant. He says good stuff about The Darkness too: "...The common complaint with people who don't like The Darkness is, 'I was here when the eighties happened the first time,' and I'm just like, 'Stick your fucking head up your arse, you boring cunt.' Most of the kids now weren't buying records in the eighties, where's the fucking problem? The Darkness are putting a bit of glamour and pizzaz into an otherwise drab genre, so full marks to them. And life is a fucking barrel of cheesy cocks to anyone who doesn't like it."

He makes a succint point....

Still are one of the greatest bands !! I think Freddie would have approved of them working with people like 5, he always wanted them towork with modern acts etc. hence him recording with Michael Jacksoin etc in the 80's. I don't see the problem with them playing as Queen, Genesis still played as Genesis after Peter Gabriel left, The Wildhearts when some of their members were changed. It was Brian and Roger who started Queen as a band called Smile, so I don't see the problem with them playing together if they want to. I've seen Roger and Brian playing together since Freddie died, and they were brilliant, one of the best gigs I've ever seen. The Darkness piss on the memory of Queen far more by even trying to compare themselves to Queen, I've seen at least one interview when Justin comapred himself to Freddie. Brian May has more skill in one finger than the entire Darkness, and if they're around in 3 years let alone 30, I'll be impressed !!

Cheers

Stuart

Only time will tell. It's safe to say The Darkness are one of the most controversial bands that we've seen in a while.

As for the originality thing, sure they aren't original, but they are copying a good style and doing it good and I think that is fine. It is just that everyone else stopped doing it suddenly and The Darkness have brung it back. If you talk about genres, you could say all bands are ripping off each other. Say Metallica came out 20 years ahead of their time, people would be saying Megadeth & Metallica are the gods and Slayer are just copies of them with no originality because of their similar styles. What I'm trying to say, if we put The Darkness in the same time as in the hey day of Queen & Zeppelin & Lizzy etc then they'd just get classed as another of those acts, even if they sounded similar & had come out only a few years after all those bands. Classic rock kinda just stopped, as with other things just keep on going. I'm sure if one genre was to suddenly come back then that band would be written off too.