aberdeen-music

No Big Names Please Were Aberdeen

rowan

Guest tv tanned

At the end of the day bands and their management are always going to look at the costs associated with including the 'deen as part of a UK tour compared with using Glesga or Edinburgh which are closer to the English venues, and thus involve less travel etc.

We'll get the odd band here or there, but as long as punters from here are willing to travel to the central belt to watch gigs, what incentive is there for bands to come up here?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its not the aeccs fault they dont get the acts. its down to the big boy promoters in scot/uk land who decide where these things go. as far as i am aware the aecc only hires the venue/facilities out to promoters.

the p and j arena does get used from time to time, but not that much. perhaps it is under-utilised, but do you really think that the strokes could sell out the aecc?? as dave said, maybe on a good night

the aecc make a fucking killing off of corporate events, i mean SILLY money

Guest tv tanned
Unfortunately since The Capitol closed we don't really have a mid-sized venue that would cater for many of the acts mentioned. The AECC is really too big for the likes of The Strokes or Kasabian' date=' but The Lemon Tree or The Music Hall are too small to make it worth their while.

We used to get loads of great "medium" sized acts at The Capitol though, I saw some great gigs there, Mark Knopfler in 1996 for example.

Still, instead of all those great bands we've got Jumpin' Jaks to entertain us. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Yeh, I remember seeeing Crash Test Dummies at the Capitol, it was an ace gig and a good venue.

Pity it's now another rubbish nightclub...

The AECC holds 7500 as far as i know.

Many people claim to love The Stone Roses and Ian Brown but like Kirk said, it won't sell out.In my opinion it is FAR better to have a sold out gig with loads of demand at somewhere like Music Hall/Moshulu/Lemon Tree rather than a mediocre crowd at a big venue like AECC.It creates a better atmosphre, it creates a better everything in my view.

If you're that upset about it, move to glasgow and be happy there.

the strokes would sell out the aecc no problem. the whole tour sold out almost right away! i know loads of people who are goin 2 glasgow and edinburgh and im pretty sure people would travel to aberdeen to see strokes / take that or any fucking band that decided to play aberdeen!

Guest DustyDeviada
Is it really that much? Actually I haven't been to a gig there since Bob Dylan back in 2002' date=' so I don't know how much it's changed since then.[/quote']

Don't want to come across as a pedant, and I guess this doesn't add anything to the thread, but wasn't the Dylan show in 2000? ;)

the aecc make a fucking killing off of corporate events' date=' i mean SILLY money[/quote']

How come they're so much in debt then?

The Strokes wouldn't sell out arena sized venues anywhere. They're playing halls which look like 3000-4000 capacity.

Bring back The Capitol!

And yeah, I think we could have more people playing AECC, but it is down to promoters/agents and at that level they don't care about Aberdeen unless it's a sure fire money maker, and why should they really?

The last time Radiohead played here in 2003 they struggeld to sell out if I remember right. People I knew were going down to the Glasgow show the day before jsut becasue the don't like the AECC as a gig venue, whihc is an unjust opinion. If you think the strokes would sell out the AECC just because they have sold out venues in Glasgow you must really not understand the difference in the population of Aberdeen and Glasgow plus all the other towns near by that are wtihin a short drive to Glasgow.

How come they're so much in debt then?

The building wasn't cheap?

On a serious level, I think it's something to do with the nature of the company that runs it - they're only in debt because they're having to pay off loans used to build it, they didn't get a cash handout of tens of millions from the council to build the place.

And maxi : I imagine if they were deadly serious about attracting bands, they would do what it takes to get them, but they could probably never justify the expense needed just to attract a few big bands.

Who cares about the strokes anyway?

All that really matters is bands that actually PLAY Aberdeen.Why worry about bands that don't?Support Aberdeen by going to gigs of bands you like,selling out the shows and maybe,just maybe, it will trigger someone somewhere to put on that band you really wished would play the 'deen.

It's not the big gigs that make the money for the AECC' date=' it's the corporate events... think about it. I doubt they really give a shit about bigger bands playing there as it's probably not worth their while.[/quote']

corporate events bring in the cold hard cash that keeps the wolves at the door and the shareholders (well, the council) happy, really.

i don't think they care either, it's probably nice to have a big band once in a while to remind the EE that the place exists, but apart from that, i really doubt they actually care enough.

I guess there's a case to be argued that big gigs were promised as part of the redevelopment, but if the bands don't want to come, what can you do?

Guest bluesxman

Oasis will always sell out the AECC due to the wide spectrum of people who like them but especially as they appeal to the 'ned' crowd, which seemed to turn up for Franz Ferdinand as well and will be there in droves for Ian Brown. But I reckon the factor missing from the IB gig will be the 'older' crowd happy to venture out to a name band gig and this may prevent it selling out. Popular 'safe' acts such as James Blunt and Katie Melua will do well for the older crowd and younger folk with no taste.

I hope AC/DC do come back, I missed them last time as I was offshore and they wouldn't let me home to see it.

As long as were not in Dundee....

I would say Dundee have the most talented bands in Scotland at the moment; Laeto, Spyamp, Uncle Fritz, Perineum, Fall of Boss Koala, and Alamos. All doing very well for themselves, especially Alamos by all accounts.

Although i am a Caley Thistle fan, and still currently raging about Scumdee Utd stealing Brewster, i would quite happily see an H Bomb drop on that Junkie, Jackie, Jute filled city.

One thing to consider : Even a band the size of the Manics around the EMG/TIMT era didn't do Aberdeen and Glasgow - so doesn't that explain how tough it must be to actually sell two nights up here?

erm... bollocks - I saw the Manics (supported by Catatonia) play the Music hall around 1996.

Also saw them at Dundee Caird Hall two years later - supported by Mogwai.

Guest DustyDeviada
The last time Radiohead played here in 2003 they struggeld to sell out if I remember right. People I knew were going down to the Glasgow show the day before jsut becasue the don't like the AECC as a gig venue' date=' whihc is an unjust opinion. [/quote']

People were nuts then, that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, and I'm not a particularly big Radiohead fan, or at least I wasn't until I saw that show.

It must have been at least close to selling out, it was really busy.

The building wasn't cheap?

On a serious level' date=' I think it's something to do with the nature of the company that runs it - they're only in debt because they're having to pay off loans used to build it, they didn't get a cash handout of tens of millions from the council to build the place.[/quote']

But they are expectingfor tens/hundreds of thousands of 's of our money to keep it open! And our wise old backwater regressive thinking retard of a council only go and fucking agree...

Fuck the big bands, there are dozens of great and better small bands plaing in town every month!!! But then those folk that buy charts hit compilation and Madonna albums to sit by the toaster in the kitchen for fondue's and dinner parties aren't that bothered about going to see something their neighbours haven't heard of...

No idea what I'm ranting about here by the way but I let my fingers of the hook!

Jim