aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

If "pop" just meant "popular" then it would have been used to describe whatever filled the void before the 50s. "Big band" or whatever

By "value" I mean artistic merit. Go on and try and change my mind

Although there wasn't really the idea of 'popular music' or Rock and Roll before the 1950's There wasn't just a 'void', there was loads of good Swing, Jazz and Blues going around.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know' date=' if anything the Pumpkins are underrated in comparison with their contemporaries and they were just about the best band in the world when Adore came out.[/quote']

i don't know about underrated but i think they were definately one of the best bands in the world, from Mellon Collie right through to Adore. In 1996 they were my world. Well them and Soundgarden. Soundtrack to my coming of age and for that I'll always go back to them.

i don't know about underrated but i think they were definately one of the best bands in the world' date=' from Mellon Collie right through to Adore. In 1996 they were my world. Well them and Soundgarden. Soundtrack to my coming of age and for that I'll always go back to them.[/quote']

Soundgarden:down: You shoulda just made the Pumpkins your world power back in 96.

DEPECHE MODE

all V over-rated

Ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i'm not going to throw in my personal over rated bands, and I can even accept the fact that not everyone likes the smashing pumpkins, BUT what I can't overlook is that someone finds Depeche Mode overrated. Depeche mode are a band who have had a 20 year + stint at the top DESPITE the 'trendier than thou' press kicking the shit out of them at every turn, the normal british press putting the boot in on a regular basis, and no support in general from the british music industry. My point is that in Britain Depeche Mode are not rated at all, so to say they are overrated makes no sense at all.

And if anyone disagrees Phil Mitchell will come round and put the squeeze on them!

Ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion' date=' and i'm not going to throw in my personal over rated bands, and I can even accept the fact that not everyone likes the smashing pumpkins, BUT what I can't overlook is that someone finds Depeche Mode overrated. Depeche mode are a band who have had a 20 year + stint at the top DESPITE the 'trendier than thou' press kicking the shit out of them at every turn, the normal british press putting the boot in on a regular basis, and no support in general from the british music industry. My point is that in Britain Depeche Mode are not rated at all, so to say they are overrated makes no sense at all.

And if anyone disagrees Phil Mitchell will come round and put the squeeze on them![/quote']

I agree with you. I would say that people exaggerate how influential they are though.

Guest bluesxman
Now while Soundgarden are super good' date=' that is not true.

I agree with the Eagles.[/quote']

It's true for someone who doesn't like 99% of everything he has heard of Smashing Pumpkins.