aberdeen-music

Carnage

Guest Jake Wifebeater

well,

we didn't think there was a market for a dedicated extreme night in Aberdeen, but we were prepared to listen to people who said there was.

We tried to do it monthly so people had a chance to build up to it, but in the end it costs us money to open with 60-70 people coming in, so we had to scrap it. Maybe you guys should look to put something together yourselves at a smaller venue that has lower operating costs.

Rob

I really can't see what the club can do to accomodate you then.

They have established nights on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

That leaves Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday for Carnage. It shouldn't really matter that it was on a Tuesday as it was only one night a month!

And as far as drinks prices go, i'm sure they'd have been cheaper had the night proven to be a big success. People have to come along as Rob says, before it makes the night worth putting on.

Surely the hardcore of people that attended could have also been trying to attract other people along with them too?

Was there ever a big enough interest?

But, people should take Rob's advice and start their own night up elsewhere. There's plenty of underused clubs in town that might entertain such an idea, especially with the smoking ban (and inevitable drop in income that'll occur for the first while) looming. If the night is a success elsewhere and starts to attract a decent number (at least 150-ish), I'm sure Moshulu would look at putting on the night again.

Ultimately though, there's better things to spend money on than an extreme metal night.

well' date='

we didn't think there was a market for a dedicated extreme night in Aberdeen, but we were prepared to listen to people who said there was.

We tried to do it monthly so people had a chance to build up to it, but in the end it costs us money to open with 60-70 people coming in, so we had to scrap it. Maybe you guys should look to put something together yourselves at a smaller venue that has lower operating costs.

Rob[/quote']

Rob - I agree with you. There was a market for 60-70 people on an irregular Tuesday. Had the club been every week it would have probably done slightly better in terms of numbers, a once a month thing is harder to remember about. But you would still have fallen short of the required numbers.

Tuesday is not a popular night. Tuesday is in my experience the quietest night of the week, and the least convenient for most people.

60-70 people is acutally quite a few for once a month on a Tuesday. Just not enough to support the overheads of opening Moshulu. It is a big club and will appear empty with less than a couple of hundred people in it. People are less attracted to things that don't LOOK busy. Put those same people in Drakes and it would be rammed to the rafters! So while there is a market for this kind of thing, it is not one that is large enough to be economically viable for somewhere the size of Moshulu.

It annoys me that those same 60-70 people probably wouldn't have attended Drakes. Was Valhella not like this, and was it not on every 2nd Friday? DOH! And now there is no right sized club for a night on this scale. Elizium and Xenonphon have been experiencing exactly the same problem. The Moorings cannot help because it is a bar and not a club, and must therefore cater for all it's drinking customers. The Tunnels is also arguably too large a venue. The best option here would be asking Drummonds.

Alternatively 3 of our 4 Fridays in The Moorings feature a relatively high metal content, and we'd be happy to accomodate another 60-70 people, for a place our size that would be a big deal! Admission is free.

(sorry for the plug) ;)

EDIT: Sorry I screwed this post up the first attempt. My brain doesn't work on Sunday mornings. Doh!