aberdeen-music

'whatever happened to music being fun anyway?'

Cloud

A friend of mine said that a few weeks back, and after the moany thread about people talking in the audience, i'm starting to think the same way.

Shouldn't music be about having fun, instead of worrying about people talking or whatever?

As I said - people are way too occupied in this scene with 'the small picture' such as people talking at gigs and not occupied enough with 'the big picture' such as getting attendance up at all gigs, not just their own. I've heard of countless things tried by people, but too much petty bitching and whining has ruined virtually all of those initatives, why?

Maybe if people spent less time criticising other peoples comments on here and more time working towards a common goal, then maybe, just maybe, this place can thrive and flourish once again.

Generally, people on ab-music seem to want to misunderstand, rather than understand their fellow board members. I have no interest in trying to get you all to patch things up. I don't think that a large group of such differently minded people can be easily organised into pursuing some common goal for the good of the whole of the scene, but I do believe that a few smaller, more like-minded groups can improve little bits at a time.

Instead of getting everyone to agree with you or meet your way of thinking it might be better seeking out the people that are already on your side and working with them.

It's not something that bothers me, I'm fine and happy with the way things are.

Generally' date=' people on ab-music seem to want to misunderstand, rather than understand their fellow board members. I have no interest in trying to get you all to patch things up. I don't think that a large group of such differently minded people can be easily organised into pursuing some common goal for the good of the whole of the scene, but I do believe that a few smaller, more like-minded groups can improve little bits at a time.

Instead of getting everyone to agree with you or meet your way of thinking it might be better seeking out the people that are already on your side and working with them.

It's not something that bothers me, I'm fine and happy with the way things are.[/quote']

good times

Shouldn't music be about having fun' date=' instead of worrying about people talking or whatever?

[/quote']

Some people enjoy listening to music (shocking, isn't it) and people chattering detracts from their enjoyment, or fun, as you call it..

Or are you just talking about jumping-about-being-noisy fun?

There's an open mic at Nice'n'Sleazys in Glasgow on a monday night. The place is packed out every week, with about 200 people attended, impressive for open mic.

Anyway, before each performance, the host shusses (is that the word?) the crowd down so there is almost complete silence for the singers. It makes for a wonderful atmospheric room and when there is a great heartfelt performance, it is magical.

As I say, it's packed out every week so obviously, a fair amount of people like this sort of thing. Anyone who didn't doesn't have to go back.

Obviously wouldn't work with a full band setting but works great with solo acts and duets.

I love music. I find it funny when people say "Hog, you must be jealous of XXXXX band". Em, If I was jealous and wanted to make a difference then I would tour a lot but I dont, cant be arsed. Im in a band who love music that's all! Fuck all this competition rubbish.

The local scene is full of that nonsense.

the 50's

Aaaaah those heady times when every day was summer. This was the first and last time music was fun... Ye know, the black and white days where everybody bopped their heads and clapped infectiously to Elvis and Co. It also had something to do with the concept of the teeneager. I've seen the tv footage and it looked a blast. Every goddamn last one of them was H.A.P.P.Y

Music is no longer for dancing...

;(:ding: But wait, maybe we should just not think about it so much and dance in the streets. Genius! I'm off to get my roller skates, leg warmers and Fame videos!

lets make a film 'Aberdeen-Music the Musical'

Guest Steve Irwin
Generally' date=' people on ab-music seem to want to misunderstand, rather than understand their fellow board members. I have no interest in trying to get you all to patch things up. I don't think that a large group of such differently minded people can be easily organised into pursuing some common goal for the good of the whole of the scene, but I do believe that a few smaller, more like-minded groups can improve little bits at a time.

It's not something that bothers me, I'm fine and happy with the way things are.[/quote']

its not often agreement but bob is pretty much spot on.

;)

I like Twobackjoe's Aberdeen-Music musical idea.....that would have everyone pulling together...I've no idea what the plot would be (having lost mine ages ago), but here's my suggestion for the cast (DISCLAIMER....not based on the actors' actual personalities!)......

Local guitarist, great player, but desperate for a soulmate..........................................Hog

His band...

Cynical but gorgeous keyboardist, mocks our hero viciously..................................... Lester

Aggressive bassist, always picking fights and bashing things....................................lepeep

Cross-dressing drummer, good timekeeper, but of dubious habits....................Twobackjoe

Drug-abusing but amusing singer...........................................................................OllieJ

Avid fan, wants to be part of the band..........................................................Jonny Lucifer

Local drunk......................................................................................The Ghost of Fudge

Music-loving Priest (or Rockin' Vicar).......................................................................Narc

Street gang....

Sharp tongued knife-wielding type.......................................................................Timson

'Droog', heavy-boned but slow..............................................................Project : Ven Hell

Brains of the gang..............................................................................................ShaunF

Token 'hard' female gang-member.........................................................rainbowprincess

The gang's gals.....

Nasty one who eggs everyone to fight...................................................................Aileen

Quiet, subservient one, always knitting........................................................Hardcore Mel

Funny one, always cracking jokes & pulling faces............................Miss Groupie Supreme

Worried parents.................................................................................mATTHEw & Delly

Easily fooled policeman, given runaround by kids.......................................()papaspyrou()

Lost tourist, gets 'rolled' by gang.........................................................................Elwood

Spiv type , sells watches, stockings and videos of 'fun' music....................................Cloud

Streetcorner tart...........................................................................Jake The Ape (in wig)

Kind teacher..............................................................................................Flash@TMB

Evil Headmistress......................................................................................Laura@TMB

Confused janitor.................................................................................Jamesy Weapon

Grumpy chestnut salesman............................................................................SoundIan

3 pensioners on bench (Greek Chorus).................................Chilli, Graham & Alan Cynic

Happy kids playing games..................Biz, Ross, *amy*, Dayeth & Hummer Of Intense Evil

School geeks....................................................kirkt, Connie,Mouse, Scorge & Frosty Jack