aberdeen-music

Super mario 3 completed in record time?!

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

From what I have read this is faked.

The video was done using a emulator of the game on a PC and the counter is slowed down.

Its a shame cos it was rather cool to see when I first saw it a few years ago.

A few opinions on it

How would that work? As fair as I could see, the timing was done properly; the video lasts 11 and a bit minutes. There's no timer on the game. UNless you mean they sped up the game? It did seem a bit fast sometimes. Or have I missed something?

Guest haigyman
How would that work? As fair as I could see' date=' the timing was done properly; the video lasts 11 and a bit minutes. There's no timer on the game. UNless you mean they sped up the game? It did seem a bit fast sometimes. Or have I missed something?[/quote']

the emulator thing would work. you could just pause it after each bit you got right, like every 3 seconds until you got every single thing perfect.

As far as I know it is possible to pause the timer meaning the actual run time of the game, I havent checked it anytime recently but apparently you see the game animation slowing down in parts and speeding up, giving the impression that it is being tampered with.

Using an emulator they can basically dictate what they want to do within the game by coding and the like.

It did seem a bit fast sometimes.

I was thinking that as well, although it does seem possible. What made me a bit skeptical about whether or not it was fake was more the whole fact that everything in the first few levels just seemed to be in the right place. I mean, it's possible, but it just seems a bit strange.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Or maybe the guy is just THAT good.

EDIT: Furthermore, "The video was done by Morimoto a well known gamer in Japan for his dedication to the Mario series and Tekken series" --*--*-link-*--*--

I think its real.

Where's the evidence that it isn't?

It's far too fast on the map screens, even for the jap version (allowing for the 17% speed difference between pal and ntsc). Also did anyone else notice that Mario seeminly goes through a couple of enemies, rather than jumping on them? Mario 3's collision detection is spot on, and this kind of thing does not generally happen.

I'm not convinced.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

When he flashes red thats when he's invincible.

I noticed that my reaction speed is only slightly slower than his, and since i'm terrible at Bot games as it stands, I reckon its not slowed down and sped up any at all.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

I think he might have gained invincibility from the 3 stars he picked up (in the lower right of the screen) I don't know, I haven't played the game before.

Anyway I don't see why its so tough?! I can get from the Gallery to Wasteland in 2 seconds but I don't see anyone dissing me!

Ooh this has given me a few pointers! I have the NES and Mario 3 nestled in my drawer downstairs.

*Breaks out dated console*

A few points though, when he uses the magic whistle he gets to the Worlds 2,3 and 4 select bit. But then when he uses the second one he skips straight to World 8. My recollection is that you would only move to the World 5,6 and 7 bit. I haven't played for a while though...

Oh and Mario keeps getting one ups for nailing the bombs. I don't remember that happening! Still an enjoyable watch...

you do get the one ups if you continuesly jump on enemys without touching the floor you could do it the first one but it was much harder. The enemys will always appear at the exact same time at the exact same position everytime you play the game so its a case of playing it heaps till you have memorised the timings.

As far as i have read with this it is kind of fake, the guy slows the game down to 1/30 of the origonal speed and it wasnt all recorded in one go. Basically he just wanted to show the perfect way to complete mario 3 and so spent a while perfecting all the jumps and re-recording himself all the way. Again from as far as i know it wasnt played on a nes either i think it was done on the Famacom which is coded slightly differently to the nes so some of the stuff you see in the vid wouldnt be possible on the british game but on the jap versions.

He has done this to a few games before, i think he did mega man and ghosts and gouls. Awesome to watch!

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
the guy slows the game down to 1/30 of the origonal speed and it wasnt all recorded in one go.

Dunno. The way he moves between enemies is a fraction faster than I think i could do in the circumstances of knowing the game as well as him, so having it slowed down to 1/30 would surely make him see the enemies before we can on this video...

I think we're all looking into this too much.

Really though, its impossible to ever REALLY know if this is the original

so lets all just say that it is.

Guest haigyman
I think he might have gained invincibility from the 3 stars he picked up (in the lower right of the screen) I don't know' date=' I haven't played the game before.

Anyway I don't see why its so tough?! I can get from the Gallery to Wasteland in 2 seconds but I don't see anyone dissing me![/quote']

i don't think he picked up 3 star cards, cause that would slow him down when he got the extra lives for them at the end of the third level.