aberdeen-music

Playing outside

Delly

As I live in a rubbish countryside village where nothing ever happens, apart from rumours of large black panthers prowling the streets, and old ladies' bins being stolen, I was allowed out to play in my garden unsupervised at about 4 years old. Although I was usually with numerous siblings. And our house really isn't near any roads at all.

Sorry, that was a really useless post.

i was allowed to play in the garden from a young age, it was fenced in etc

but outside, erm about 7+ i think. where i lived i was near my school and playpark so my parents knew i wouldnt be far.

i can still remeber the day my mum let me go down into the town by myself. this was in thurso mind, not aberdeen

As I live in a rubbish countryside village where nothing ever happens' date=' apart from rumours of large black panthers prowling the streets, and old ladies' bins being stolen, I was allowed out to play in my garden unsupervised at about 4 years old. Although I was usually with numerous siblings. And our house really isn't near any roads at all.

Sorry, that was a really useless post.[/quote']

hmm where are you from? I'm near alford and I know someone who CAUGHT one of the black cats..ha ha god country life is so dull. I stayed in Aberdeen til i was 9, and only a few months ago i was told that when I thought I was a "big girl" and unsupervised, my mum actually watched from the window....

Hmm moving to Alford, I was allowed out totally unsupervised at the age of 9/10. But then again my mother is super-duper-over-the-top-protective. :down:

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Whatever you do, don't stop your kid from venturing onto the streets. My neighbour did that and the kid is now a homosexual.......at ten years old!

No, not really. But children need to all enter the streets at about the same time I think. Then again, I loved in Potterton and there's not much dangers of kiddy diddling there and consequently, we played in the forests, streets, hay fields and green fields.

I'm too irresponsible to have children but i'm going to pretend for a minute that I am reponsible and grown up by leaving you a pattern below

Age--------Shit, wheres my kid!

4 ------------------30 metres from the house

6-------------------To a distant neighbours house within loud whistle away

10------------------End of the street and outerlying grazing territories (playparks, shit and shit)

12------------------About 2 miles and cycling distance from nearby villages

14------------------Effectively anywhere

20 n/a

30 n/a

40 n/a

50 n/a

60 n/a

72----------------About 2 miles and cycling distance from nearby villages

74----------------End of the street and outerlying grazing territories

76----------------To a distant neighbours house within loud whistle away

80-----------------30 metres from the house

I grew up in a street full of kids, I was allowed in my back garden or in my neighbours gardens (if i was supervised there and back) from about 3ish i htink. Playing in the street about 5ish i think but I had to stay on our side of the road and I wasn't allowed to go further than certain houses in the street so not to venture too far.

Yeah but where I lived when I was younger, was an old building...and the back garden was just chuckies (little stones), plus I hated the kids. And they hated my right back....ha ha they thought I was wierd because I hated Boyzone and loved the Doors. (I actually saw one of the kids recently, she looks like a guy.) So I was "watched" to prevent any bullying.

I think its wrong for a parent to let a kid out totally unsupervised thought at a REALLY young age, just now my sis is 7 and battling to be let out by herself. But there's a certain man who you dont exactly want near your kids near by, so motherdear has her reasons.

hmm where are you from? I'm near alford and I know someone who CAUGHT one of the black cats.

DON'T LIE! The big black cats don't exist. It's just idiots who put up signs about them at the end of Wellpark, saying that they eat children and stuff.

And sadly, I don't live near Alford. I live in Daviot.

But I have some ace childhood memories of Alford.

I have no idea what I am gonna do when it comes to letting my kids out alone my son is 5 starts school next month ( fears for the playground is already there) other parents are talking about letting their kids out alone which is ok for them they live in built up areas where there are plenty of play areas I live on Mugiemoss road rather a scary thought to let him out alone.

I was thinking 10 for unsupervised play outside - I have been slated for this being told he wil get bullied and have no confidence. And yes I am over protective or maybe I just worry too much. just waiting for the days of being able to afford a huge house with a huge garden with a fence just to give my kids some freedom.