aberdeen-music

Self-harm

bitchygirl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are heaps of theories as to why put mutilate themselves.

1.) From an early age children are aware that injury elicits attention from adults. So people self harm as a means of seeking attention. This doesn't mean they are faking some kind of mental or emotional anguish. They might be cutting because they need some way of letting the outside world to see there is something wrong with them because they can't talk about their problems.

2.) For some it is a form of "physical graffiti" akin to piercing or tatooing. Like a middle-fingered salute to their parents or god or whoever for the body they were given.

3.) For some it's a form of pain management. Physical pain can be dealt with cos it will stop eventually and when in physical pain the emotional pain lessens.

4.) For others it's a case of actual masochism. They enjoy the "euphoric agony". And for some there is actuall sexual pleasure. For some males the release of the blood is similar to ejaculation.

Im not sure if id want my personal stories being aired on a messageboard such as this.

However youd be best directing your friend towards some sort of professoinal guidance. Im sure there are helplines, support groups and as many have pointed out Doctors can help a lot.

Most importantly just be there for her and dont make her feel like shes in the wrong.

1.) From an early age children are aware that injury elicits attention from adults. So people self harm as a means of seeking attention. This doesn't mean they are faking some kind of mental or emotional anguish. They might be cutting because they need some way of letting the outside world to see there is something wrong with them because they can't talk about their problems.

Also could be applied with feeling although nobody is listening or seems to see the extent of the problems when they do talk about it.

I agree with everyone who's said not to tell her it's stupid- there just isn't any point. The likelihood is that she knows it's stupid but by saying it to her, you're passing judgement and she's not going to want to talk full stop. At times it'll be so frustrating for you- feeling like you just can't make a difference. By being there for her you are making a difference though, even if you don't directly talk about the situation. It sucks but being there is all you can do unless she says otherwise.

I think the main problem is that no one really knows what to say when they find out that a friend hurts themselves. I think my first reaction when I found out about was to cry, it just upset me so much that they were going through something so horrible that drawing blood was the only way to make themselves feel better.

It isn't all about cutting, I'm sure many of us release our frustration and anger by some kind of violence towards ourselves. It strange everyone mentioning waxing, I've always found that really works so well at pulling me out of a bad patch, plucking my eyebrows seems to work too.

Good thread everyone :up:, I'm glad it hasn't decended into the usual chaos, I'm sure this topic affects more of us than we'd care to admit.

Yeah, just re-iterating what people have said here. Sit down, try to talk to her. Try and find out why, as well as directing her towards the professionals. Be gentle, however. Given she's been at this for five years, I'd say that she will probably be relatively stable (as stable as one can be whilst drawing your own blood, anyway) so you don't want to tip the balance the wrong way.

Oooh! no' date=' eye-brow plucking is not a good game to play! oh no![/quote']

I'm completely anal about my eyebrows, hate them being untidy, but if I'm stressed I find it makes me concentrate on one thing, calms me down. A friend of mine admitted to something similar when she's feeling shitty...only she actually plucks her bikini line...yeowch!

So yeah...a friend of mine just told me she cuts herself. I don't really know what to think or say or do. I'm not sure of my opinions on it' date=' it's a little strange, not something i've ever thought about before.

What are your views on it?[/quote']

buy her a gun, I hate half finished tasks.

Guest Page 99
If someone is trying to cut themselves tell them to wisen the fuck up

Hahahah.

you'd make a fucking great psychiatrist :up: .

With brutal honestly like that the depressive population of this city would half! Prodimantly due to the sudden and rapid increase of the suicide rate :help:

Thanks for your advice evryone.

I found a couple of good sites with lots of helpful information, helps me understand it a little better

Secret Shame - http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/injury.html

Selfinjury.net - http://www.selfinjury.net/

Self-Injury: A struggle - http://www.self-injury.net/

Psyke Forums - http://forum.psyke.org/index.php

Guest MerryChristmas

One of the main reasons she is doing it is because she has easy access to a knife or some scissors or a packet of metal shavings or something

Craving attention is really bad

Its the ones who show it I cant stand

One of the main reasons she is doing it is because she has easy access to a knife or some scissors or a packet of metal shavings or something

Craving attention is really bad

Its the ones who show it I cant stand

Christ.

Second dickish comment.

We're on a roll of assholes here. :nono:

Guest MerryChristmas
Christ.

Second dickish comment.

We're on a roll of assholes here. :nono:

Well sir, if you were to put them in a padded cell with no implements to cut themselves do you think they could?

People who show off their scars are trying to get attention

I dont know about you but when I see some chick with scars all up her arms I immediately stay away