aberdeen-music

Your top 3 Guitarists

DIZZY STARR

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Corgan - first "good" guitarist i really got into and i love his all his tones on siamese dream (specially rocket solo) bit of a dick tho

Billy corgan a "bit" of a dick?

Anyway:

Omar Rodriguez Lopez - The Mars Volta

John Frusciante - RCHP

James Dean Bradfield - Manics (Criminally underrated esp. Holy Bible)

Johnny Marr - The Smiths

Chad Dominic - Mansun (Another criminally underrated one)

Billy corgan a "bit" of a dick?

James Dean Bradfield - Manics (Criminally underrated esp. Holy Bible)

Yeah, B0lly is a total arsehole, but it works for him, it gets good records made, even if he ends up playing everything but the drums himself... he did actually make jimmy chamberlin do cherub rock over and over 'till his hands were bleeding...

And Jame Dean Bradfield's riffs on the holy bible are amazing, well everything about the guitars on that record are great. i don't rate any of the other manics stuff though.

1' date=' Kirk Hammett - for his awesomeness, great solos - metal legend

2, Vai - nothing more needed to be said bout this crazy kid

3, Jimi Hendrix - started off a lot of things, this boys a legend who inluenced legends of today![/b'] :band:

Well thats just lowered the tone of this whole thread!! :down:

hendrix - revolutionary

jeff beck - popular guitar instrumentalist / master of tasteful yet technical

vai / van halen - halen for bringing so much more to so many, vai cos he's brilliant, comeplete guitar god without being overly samey (satriani malmsteen)

2: Steve Hillage

Wow, I love Steve Hillage! He is truly awesome... although probably not in my top 3.

I think I'd go for Jake E. Lee (Ozzy's guitarist '84 - '86), he played some of my all-time favourite solos - Bark at the Moon!! I also love Randy Rhoads' playing, but I prefer Jake.

Roy Z, Bruce Dickinson's solo guitarist (and producer of the forthcoming Judas Priest album!) is also fairly incredible... check the Tears of the Dragon solo and the Arc of Space acoustic solo... beautiful!

Guest Electric Tibet
Since nobody has mentioned them:

Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo (can't really not say only one of them)

Peter Green (early non shit fleetwood mac).

...and Kevin Shields.

I like yr style

Mine are (at the moment)

Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)

Peter Green

Bert Jansch

1. Nick McCabe

2. The Edge

3. Johnny Greenwood

4. John Frusciante

5. Hendrix

6.Crispian Mills

7. Slash

8. Gaz Coombes

9. Billy Duffy

10. Andy Summers

It's also hard to leave out Peter Buck, Nick Drake, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Morello, Johnny Marr, Johnny Buckland, Kirk Hammett, John Squire, and the guitarist from Cave-In who is utterly amazing. Satriani, Gilbert etc are all good...but the song and melodic solo are king for me. Then again maybe I'm just jealous!

michael angelo is a beast!

maclinic.jpg

Awesome he's playing a Baby Dean ML. I've got a full sized Dean, but it's a bit clunky so I tend to play on my Ibanez more.

Anyway. I'm not really one for "Shredders". It doesn't do anything for me, although I appreciate the technical skill it implies;

East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys): He switched from this really lazy, yet melodic surfy sound do breakneck hardcore. He showed a fair degree of versatility and seemed to approach guitar playing almost post-modernly. I've spent some time recently trying to emulate his style.

Johnny Marr (The Smiths): Played "Jangly" guitar without it being shit, basically. Helped me realise the guitar could be pretty and bittersweet too.

Al Jourgensen: Because of Ministry, I tend to have a nasty habit of playing really trebely when playing distorted chords for that "razor" kind of sound. Sorry!

And...probably Sting a little (minus ten scene points)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really rate shredders unless they're doing something near-tasteful, but that's just me. My top guitarists would be:

Jeff Buckley - totally organic, soulful style. Favourite guitarist.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - with Jim Ward as well, I guess.

Ian MacKaye/Guy Piccioto (Fugazi)

Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo/Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) - Kim is better on bass though.

Kurt Ballou (Converge)

Jimmy Page (Zep) - really the only "guitarist's guitarist" who I like.

Lou Reed/Sterling Morrision (VU) - minimal and noisy, great stuff.

in no particular order...

John Petrucci (dream theater) one of the best guitars players i have heard, can jump from slow beautiful songs to lightning fast shred instantly, and dosent seem to be stuck in one or the other.

Jonny Greenwood (radiohead) a very cool guitarist, listen to some of the older radiohead stuff, some of the faster radiohead parts are absolutely amazing, very chaotic and mad.

cant think of a third right now, i will get back to you later

David