aberdeen-music

New Foo's Album

JME

What does everyone think about 'In Your Honour' ?

I just bought it today, and im very impressed, espescially with the accoustic album, overall their sound is very refined and energetic. I think its much better than 'One by One', and just as good as their previous three, awesome stuff, although i am heavily biased.

:D:D

I really like it.

It doesn't beat the first album or The colour and The Shape.

It is still good however.

Favourite song on the first disc is by far "way Back Home"

Still to decide on accoustic cd but so far I love the last 3 songs.

"Virginaia Moon" "Cold Day In The Sun" and "Razor"

Listene to this on a long bus journey this morning. Gave the accoustic CD a quick spin but wasn't in the mood for it. First song on the "loud" CD didn't do it for me, can't remember second, "Best of You" was sounding a bit better on the old walkman that it does the tranny, a lot of the songs had the harsher vocal style which I'm not keen, there was one song I really liked, but most of it just floated by me and had me reaching for the skip button.

Its funny, the other guitarist in the band (Chris Shifflet) is the brother of bass player Scott Shifflett of Face To Face, and the new Foos sound reminds me very much of Face To Face's album "Ignorance is Bliss" from '99 (the album was blasted by fans so they did a U-Turn in direction after that) hunt it down and see what you think....

Its funny' date=' the other guitarist in the band (Chris Shifflet) is the brother of bass player Scott Shifflett of Face To Face, and the new Foos sound reminds me very much of Face To Face's album "Ignorance is Bliss" from '99 (the album was blasted by fans so they did a U-Turn in direction after that) hunt it down and see what you think....[/quote']

chris also plays in me first and the gimme gimme's, you probably know that. but i found it a little odd when i realised it was him

the loud cd is awesome, the not so loud cd is pretty rad too

i like it.... still, There Is Nothing Left To Lose is my fave

I bought this yesterday and must say I'm pleased by it on the whole, it was a bit over-hyped perhaps though. The acoustic album is really impressive and offers an alternative listen depending on your mood. I've been listening to the louder album more now but still feel that it'll grow on me further, a few of the tracks are really similar however and it leaves me wondering whether they should have combined the best stuff from both albums to make a really solid record. It is a nice change to have the two discs though and it's well worth getting.

I bought this yesterday and must say I'm pleased by it on the whole' date=' it was a bit over-hyped perhaps though. The acoustic album is really impressive and offers an alternative listen depending on your mood. I've been listening to the louder album more now but still feel that it'll grow on me further, a few of the tracks are really similar however and it leaves me wondering whether they should have combined the best stuff from both albums to make a really solid record. It is a nice change to have the two discs though and it's well worth getting.[/quote']

spot on.

theyve taking the best elements of the previous offerings and put them into one album although it comes off slightly short off the first free offerings.one by one has its moments but its not their best. Fucking great album but it needs a few good listens to really grab you(in your honor). As a Massive fan my expectations were high and im not really dissapointed. i wont listen to the acoustic untill ive listened to the other to death. Its a very emotional album, but it feels slightly forced on you at times. Best songs for me - Refine - last song - no way back. Still to really make up my mind about 'best of you'.ill have a session with it tommorow.....

The Foos are ok but like everything else they produce it's mediocre at best..... Buy a proper Rock album.... :D

Andy

Mediocre? I would say that in a musical era of copycat bands stealing the glory of the original artists originality, it's been nice to have a solid full on Rock band such as the Foo's, who possess the creativity and talent to keep their music fresh and listenable. Their new albulm just highlights this.

Fair enough they will never be in the same league as Guns n roses, or led zep, but then its nice to see that their not trying to be pretentious and produce over the top epics, with cheesy two minute solos blasting out of the now obligatory les paul such as the darkness and my chemical romance, who will never last as long as the foo's.

What im trying to say is that Dave Grohll and his buddies know exctly what theyre best at, and are always trying to keep their music fresh even after five albulms. The accomplishment of coming out of Nirvana and actually producing a band of almost equal stature speaks volumes in itself.

Long live the Foo's !

Mediocre? I would say that in a musical era of copycat bands stealing the glory of the original artists originality' date=' it's been nice to have a solid full on Rock band such as the Foo's, who possess the creativity and talent to keep their music fresh and listenable. Their new albulm just highlights this.

Fair enough they will never be in the same league as Guns n roses, or led zep, but then its nice to see that their not trying to be pretentious and produce over the top epics, with cheesy two minute solos blasting out of the now obligatory les paul such as the darkness and my chemical romance, who will never last as long as the foo's.

What im trying to say is that Dave Grohll and his buddies know exctly what theyre best at, and are always trying to keep their music fresh even after five albulms. The accomplishment of coming out of Nirvana and actually producing a band of almost equal stature speaks volumes in itself.

Long live the Foo's ![/quote']

Fair doos. Just when I listen to it, I get very little from it. I think: meh not bad, but is there anything better on? They are by no means a bad band, they have a few tracks I actually really like (i.e. learn to fly, monkey wrench) and are streaks ahead of a lot of other modern pish, but I'll always check out an older band I've never heard of before I'd check out a new hyped up band. But alas, that's just me. Oh p.s. dude, you're into blues aren't you? check out my thread on Andy Timmons, he's done his fair share of blues and it's pretty damn decent :D

• 2 weeks later...

mediocre

adj.

Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary. See Synonyms at average.

Well, I heard a good bit of the album at work today (one of the guys had it on for like an hour) Fraid to say I was suitably unimpressed. It wasn't awful, it just bored the arse off me. There was the occasional riff here and there that I liked, but on the whole just found it run of the mill. Sorry guys, still say they have about as much talent as a banana. :D

Andy

I wouldn't say mediocre, I'd say middle of the road. For me they've never really been a stand out band, I'll buy the albums and enjoy them live because I know they've got some great songs (everlong being the perfect example) but you only get maybe 2 great songs per album, the rest are fairly samey but enjoyable.

They're the safest rock band around I think and Dave Grohl is like the everyman of rock, he's friendly, funny and kinda cute and everyone wants to be his friend.

i mean in terms of sound. Medicore, for me at least, implies the band aren't particularly talented, they can keep a beat, play a tune but have no real spark. Middle of the road meaning inoffensive; easy listening rock, if you like.

I'm still not making the difference sound very..different. But I know what I mean :)

• 4 weeks later...