aberdeen-music

My letter to Nobby's Nuts

Dayeth

I'm just back from the post box....I'm sure you are all familiar with the advert.

Dear Nobbys Nuts,

I write to you with a question in relation to your advertising campaign for Nobby's Nuts. What the heck? Ive seen some terrible adverts in my time, but this is just offensive to my intelligence, sense of humour and admiration for rocker Noddy Holder. It reminds me of this awful project some guy in my Uni class did for Dell, and it was about fairies or something ridiculous like that, because apparently fairies live in dells. There are two main parts of your pitch that I cant fathom.

Firstly, I think you are lacking a degree of modesty early on in the advert. I like how you seem to think you are so influential that you could convince a group of people to try and gnaw away on Noddy Holders testicles with a suggestive phrase, especially one that was read wrong in the first place, they must have all been wasted to get the impression that wrong and this was before they even get to the pub where Noddy is! Its also interesting how you have obviously continually managed to persuade these people to go for his gonads, because Noddy spots them coming, understands the mix-up, as if its happened before, and corrects them (along with a beating). If I were him, Id probably think they were enthusiastic Slade fans and whip out my pen to sign a few autographs before being knocked to the ground, de-panted and de-fertilised by a gang of starving, brainwashed idiots.

Secondly, if youre going to do a play on words, dont make it rubbish. Did you base your products name around the signing of Noddy Holders endorsement? Or did you target him because you thought it would be funny to do the Noddy/Nobby thing? Either way, you lose. Why on earth didnt you just drop the nuts idea, concentrate on marketing your crisps and have him say ITS CRISPMAAAASS!? I dont care if hes fed up with that, it would have been hilarious! It seems desperate, pointless and of a lower comic standard than Graham Norton. I get the impression its targeted at idiots, who will probably just end up thinking they are called Noddys Nuts anyway.

I have no problem with the product itself, as I had a packet for my tea break at work the other day and found them to be of satisfactory taste and had a good nut count/packet size ratio. But I couldnt fully relax knowing what they had going for them commercially.

Here are three additional ideas for a more effective advertising campaign.

1. The crowd of people not misreading the sign and tucking into a packet of Nobbys Nuts with delight.

2. Gary Lineker dressing as a prostitute to try and lure obese middle-aged men to steal their Nobbys Nuts.

3. The guy in my classs rubbish Dell advert, but with Dell scored out, and Nobbys Nuts written in.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Not Noddy..Ross.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else noticed the recurring phallic imagery on the packets of both nobby's nuts and crisps?

is this a playful post-modern reference to the fact that the nobby's brand is primarily marketed at the "lad", 18-30 demographic or are the designers responsible for the packets just a bunch of cock-lovers?

You do realise that they produced the nuts before they started with the crisps? Also they are an Austrailian company, and the ads for the nuts in austrailia were just as bad and ended up featured on tarrent on TV or carrott's comercial breakdown or some other program like that.

Although the ad is truely shite and pointless.

You do realise that they produced the nuts before they started with the crisps? Also they are an Austrailian company' date=' and the ads for the nuts in austrailia were just as bad and ended up featured on tarrent on TV or carrott's comercial breakdown or some other program like that.

Although the ad is truely shite and pointless.[/quote']

mattjimf, do you realise, that the very fact that you are discussing the brand on an internet message-board demonstrates not only that the advert has a purpose (in promoting awareness of a brand that was unheard of in this country three months ago), but also that it has achieved its goal?

mattjimf' date=' do you realise, that the very fact that you are discussing the brand on an internet message-board demonstrates not only that the advert has a purpose (in promoting awareness of a brand that was unheard of in this country three months ago), but also that it has achieved its goal?[/quote']

Actually i only really knew they were doing all this because we started to sell the nuts at my work about a month and a half ago, also what you are saying is probably more suited to being directed at dayeth seeing as he was the one that started a thread about it.

nah' date=' dayeth never said the ad was "pointless"

also, merely finding out that these products have gone on sale has not (yet) prompted anyone to start a thread here about them[/quote']

Sorry but you should have been more specific about what you were going on about, as for it being pointless, i still stand by that. I just don't see why there is need for an ad that uses the confusion over a word as the main premise for selling anything.

how many other adverts with such a gimmick (product name sounds like name of celebrity, celebrity appears in advert bemoaning fact that product name sounds like their name) have you seen?

i can't think of any that employ a similar method

the uniquness of the marketing campaign makes both the ad and the product stand out from other similar commercials and snackfoods

the point of creating "an ad that uses the confusion over a word as the main premise for selling anything" is to make it stand out and, in turn, get people discussing it and the brand

Exactly, it does get itself noticed, I wouldn't write such a letter to a company because their advert wasn't convincing me to buy their product, I just think this particular one is embarrasing to say the least.

Other products with celebrity sounding names...all that Salt n Lineker, Cheese & Owen malarky?

Exactly' date=' it does get itself noticed, I wouldn't write such a letter to a company because their advert wasn't convincing me to buy their product, I just think this particular one is embarrasing to say the least.[/quote']

your letter was amusing, are you genuinely going to send it?

you'd be better off writing something that will be read be more people than some guy in an publicity office for a snackfood company

Other products with celebrity sounding names...all that Salt n Lineker' date=' Cheese & Owen malarky?[/quote']

walkers actively changed the name of the product so that it would match the name of the public figure

the "nobby's nuts" campaign plays off the fact that the product name is similar, yet not identical to, the name of the celebrity