aberdeen-music

Ascension MP3's!!!

Doc Ascension

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im fucking shocked by the reviews im seing in here

doc must be one of the most soundest guy ive ever met and a brilliant player own his own if u hear the soundchecks you will think the same

the other guitarist focusses mostly on trying to add new bits here and there to give it a kick and he really does

the bass i must say is immense the dude just plays it like a lead guitar

vocals - are very weak on the demo but i remember meeting ricky jsut be4 he joined and he said he does vocals and he said he need to practise like mad cos he hasnt done it for a while but in areas i really think he need to change his tone range it sounds too high tonal most of the time he should try more tennor type stuff i think that would work alot better

drums - i must say this theo is one oof the 3rd best drummers i know or possibly 2nd and he really does put as much effort as he can into it the demo i must say im doing a soundenginnering course at aberdeen college and i cn tell that the engineer has just done a rough placing with out actually monitioring the levels that were comming thru the drum mics apart from that i must say a good demo but it does need a little tweaking interms of sound quality

other than that when they play live some of the songs do seem to go on and on and on but they really get the crowd going and thats what its all about they really do some the buisness live and as doc said it is only a demo u cant really critise them for that theres nothing wrong with the playing its just the levels of each individual of each layer

i dont think they deserve as much critisism as they are getting there mearly is nothing wrong with the playing its just the demo quality

and i must say this ive heard hundreds of bands record at the foyer and the only decent band ive heard a good demo of is ruinous and the dude from black atom u critise the playing dude ive never heard a good review about use not 1 and i find it funny that u can critise these guys playing wen all u guys really do is just try to sound like oron maiden everyone i know has been saying they are an ok band but the spend to much time making the songs and actually if u listen to ur fight not won and listen to these demos there bollox man so im just gonna say this theres no need for all the shouting and been a bunch of bastards i cn see y doc is getting pissed off some people are leaving honest revies but all this theyu cant sing or play for shit utter bollox

theres nothing wrong wi the playing its just the layering of the seperate trax that need the volume shaped

so im asking this from my self stop all these harshyl reviews

u need to actually focus o the music nt the quality of the sound recording

they at least deserve a chance dont they

i hate reading comments as there playing is shit cos it really isnt its actually profesional sounding

and the demo recording actually to be thruthfull ive heard worse for example the tears of grace gig i went to a few months bak i told the soundenginner it sounded to shaddy from the pa and he said u got a complaint do iut urself so i did and in the end he ended up saying thank you that did make a diffrence so it all depends on what mood some of the enginners are in aswell

at least give them a chance

na hes nae u no this is what pisses me off im usaully all chilled bak but after reading the comments of some of the members on this board i am actually very annoyed to see that the moderators and admin are actually allowing posts like these to pass by

and thanx for talking to me like that i have ever talked to u like that no i havent

so many thanx for that

im fucking shocked by the reviews im seing in here

doc must be one of the most soundest guy ive ever met and a brilliant player own his own if u hear the soundchecks you will think the same

the other guitarist focusses mostly on trying to add new bits here and there to give it a kick and he really does

the bass i must say is immense the dude just plays it like a lead guitar

vocals - are very weak on the demo but i remember meeting ricky jsut be4 he joined and he said he does vocals and he said he need to practise like mad cos he hasnt done it for a while but in areas i really think he need to change his tone range it sounds too high tonal most of the time he should try more tennor type stuff i think that would work alot better

drums - i must say this theo is one oof the 3rd best drummers i know or possibly 2nd and he really does put as much effort as he can into it the demo i must say im doing a soundenginnering course at aberdeen college and i cn tell that the engineer has just done a rough placing with out actually monitioring the levels that were comming thru the drum mics apart from that i must say a good demo but it does need a little tweaking interms of sound quality

other than that when they play live some of the songs do seem to go on and on and on but they really get the crowd going and thats what its all about they really do some the buisness live and as doc said it is only a demo u cant really critise them for that theres nothing wrong with the playing its just the levels of each individual of each layer

i dont think they deserve as much critisism as they are getting there mearly is nothing wrong with the playing its just the demo quality

and i must say this ive heard hundreds of bands record at the foyer and the only decent band ive heard a good demo of is ruinous and the dude from black atom u critise the playing dude ive never heard a good review about use not 1 and i find it funny that u can critise these guys playing wen all u guys really do is just try to sound like oron maiden everyone i know has been saying they are an ok band but the spend to much time making the songs and actually if u listen to ur fight not won and listen to these demos there bollox man so im just gonna say this theres no need for all the shouting and been a bunch of bastards i cn see y doc is getting pissed off some people are leaving honest revies but all this theyu cant sing or play for shit utter bollox

theres nothing wrong wi the playing its just the layering of the seperate trax that need the volume shaped

so im asking this from my self stop all these harshyl reviews

u need to actually focus o the music nt the quality of the sound recording

they at least deserve a chance dont they

i hate reading comments as there playing is shit cos it really isnt its actually profesional sounding

and the demo recording actually to be thruthfull ive heard worse for example the tears of grace gig i went to a few months bak i told the soundenginner it sounded to shaddy from the pa and he said u got a complaint do iut urself so i did and in the end he ended up saying thank you that did make a diffrence so it all depends on what mood some of the enginners are in aswell

at least give them a chance

I tried to read this, but the lack of grammar and grotesque was starting to give me a brain hemorrhage...

www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

You might not like the style of music we play' date=' but i think you'd struggle to fault the quality of recording.

:up:[/quote']

thats pretty fucking awsome shit i like that

*adds myspace*

sand to post above i really couldnt care less i am only giving my support to ascension they deserve to be respected for there playing not how fucking pish the recording is they cant help that

That was possibly the worst sentence since Barry Smith' date=' the mass murdering child rapist got 20 hours community service and a £150 fine for "breach of the peace".

It wasn't even Riki on the demo - it was Stu.

It wasn't even Theo on the recording - it was Scorge. Who in my opinion is also one of the '3rd' best drummers I know, along with Graham the paraplegic Turtle and Meg from the white Stripes. I'd say everyone else with a pulse were the 2nd best drummers I know, and everyone else who can actually play the drums are the 1st best drummers.

na hes nae u no this is what pisses me off im usaully all chilled bak but after reading the comments of some of the members on this board i am actually very annoyed to see that the moderators and admin are actually allowing posts like these to pass by

You may have noticed that the bulk of this thread was from a year or so ago. At the time none of the ascension guys did very much to endear themselves to the user or staff of these forums which is why they ended up getting hostile reviews. Aside from that they just weren't very good.

Recently they've improved a lot in both their attitude on here and in their music and I think the more constructive reaction they've had from the vast majority of users on here has reflected that.

Lastly we can only react to posts that are brought to our attention as we don't read every post made on the forum. At the time when ascension were engaged in lengthy arguments with various members of the site the moderators were very active in trying to reduce the amount of abuse flying around from all parties. We did not, and do not simply allow posts like those to pass by.

why are there no drums on the new mp3's?

it's electronic drums!??

You might like to know that these MP3s are recorded AT MY HOUSE... with a Shure SM57, a MXL V67 and a Firebox....

We have completely DIYed these MP3s and hence don't have the space/time/or microphones to record a drumkit to full quality....

Listen to the drums on Captain Toms recordings and you'll see that even with the above items it's quite difficult!

Dan - I think you are confused, Liam hasn't heard the old MP3s, only the new ones so he was speaking about the current suite of songs with Rikki on vocals!!

And Liam, lol you should note that Gregor is better on guitar than me and certainly doesn't take a backseat in the band - we basically do equal stuff, either I write the "guts" of a song and he'll change things/add things then I'll change/etc or it works the complete opposite way from that... we both do vocals along with Rikki too!

Anyway why is this thread still alive? It's a year old with no mp3s and no reason for living!

You may have noticed that the bulk of this thread was from a year or so ago. At the time none of the ascension guys did very much to endear themselves to the user or staff of these forums which is why they ended up getting hostile reviews. Aside from that they just weren't very good.

Recently they've improved a lot in both their attitude on here and in their music and I think the more constructive reaction they've had from the vast majority of users on here has reflected that.

Lastly we can only react to posts that are brought to our attention as we don't read every post made on the forum. At the time when ascension were engaged in lengthy arguments with various members of the site the moderators were very active in trying to reduce the amount of abuse flying around from all parties. We did not' date=' and do not simply allow posts like those to pass by.[/quote']

You have to admit that alot of people were just cunts for the sake of beings cunts at the time?? Stu was never meant for this band, Scorge was a shit drummer and the mp3s were shite.

However alot of ppl were just... cunts.

Dan - I think you are confused' date=' Liam hasn't heard the old MP3s, only the new ones so he was speaking about the current suite of songs with Rikki on vocals!!

[/quote']

Are you sure? Well then I am EVEN MORE baffled about his post!

Firstly how the fuck can a sound engineer student not tell they were electronic drums:

" i cn tell that the engineer has just done a rough placing with out actually monitioring the levels that were comming thru the drum mics "

Granted they're not bad sounding drums, but you can still easily tell that they aren't real.) Also the demo sound quality of the new songs is pretty good, whereas he agees with everyone (who commented on the foyer recordings) by saying its shite!

Also he goes on about the bassist playing it like a lead guitar... (sure he isn't just acatually listening to the lead guitar?) Now I have to be honest, I have no idea on Hamish's actual bass playing skills - but there is NO fancy bass going on in the recording, and the bass is also quite low in the mix (as it fucking should be! *JOKE*).

lol how do you have the original recordings??

The only versions of them were on my computer and are now goen because I formatted! Now they are on a CD somewhere in my room lol! Looking forward to the remix tho hehe!

Dan - this is power metal so the bass is always low :p There's no room for it unless you beast out a bass solo in which case all other instruments will stop to give you room ... and then come back in over the top of you LOL :)

Dan - this is power metal so the bass is always low :p There's no room for it unless you beast out a bass solo in which case all other instruments will stop to give you room ... and then come back in over the top of you LOL :)

Exactly mate! Hence my suprise at freddiesoffspring's comment regarding hamish being shredder on bass.

Guest Gregor Ascension
Exactly mate! Hence my suprise at freddiesoffspring's comment regarding hamish being shredder on bass.

well, the last time you saw him play would have been that aweful gig we did with mmw. suffice to say, he is alot better now. you can actually hear him on the new demo stuff.

but hey, if anyone wants to see what the band sounds like these days.. come see us at kef on friday 18th. new songs to hear.. and a new direction. more progressive, alot heavier! 7 string riffage aplenty.

yes theo is much better suited to ascension than scorge, and i think scorge does do a good job in spike pile driver

and i agree with the critisizm of my vocals on the new mp3s, i do need a lot of practice to live up to power metal standards, but id still say i was a pretty good vocalist and im suited to my band :)

yes i hope a lot of you at least come and listen to a few of our songs at kef on friday, it would be good to see some people there who havent seen us live since the atrocity of our old lineup

Guest Jake Wifebeater
and i think scorge does do a good job in spike pile driver

As do we, and that's all that matters.

I trust everyone who's been slagging him are flawless and beyond reproach. They must be.