aberdeen-music

Cinema in Aberdeen?

rufus13th

See the area next to the bus & train stations, they are building a cinema there right? How many screens will it have? Furthermore, which cinema chain will be running it?

At the moment, the choice of films to watch at the cinema (in Aberdeen) is pretty limited. The Vue and UGC are far too small. I was wanting to buy a UGC card but it hardly seems worth it. I know that a lot of top titles don't even make it to Aberdeen. Only the Belmont really shows the contemporary titles I'm after.

I guess living in Glasgow for five years, I've been spoiled by the towering UGC we have here. I move back to Aberdeen after the summer.

Any info appreciated. Cheers.

If Aberdeen *really* needs another cinema, they should make it more of a Belmont type cinema rather than another multiplex. VUE and UGC should probably rotate their films more often, but having another cinema showing exactly what the others have isn't really worth it. I suppose a cinema is only as good as the films it's showing and no amount of screens will ensure decent films.

UGC would show better films if they had more screens, there were brief talks of an extension meaning we could show what we liked, but its unlikely. there used to be P&J Wednesdays where we got smaller titles like Olboy and Two Sisters and various other Tartan Asia Extreme/Smaller Production Company films, but they did poorly because hardly anyone went and thus were pulled. To my knowledge anyway.

*cough* a certain dockside tavern is kitted out with a projection system apporaching cinema levels of quality. It turns the lights out and shows all weird and wonderful movies from time to time on a relatively massive screen. Admission is free, but you have to 'be in the know' as to what is being shown and when.

The proposed new cinema would be a UCI who don't offer a monthly card (UGC are the only cinema who do). However, UCI haven't even signed a contract yet because the whole thing is taking far too long.

Basically (and this is to my knowledge which was updated last week) they can't start building the new "entertainment and shopping complex" until they've moved those crappy old freight trains. However, in order to move them, they have to build somewhere out at Dyce for them to go. And they haven't started doing that yet.

The whole "Union Square" thing is a farce. I lived on Market Street in 2002 and all the signs said "Union Square opening late 2004". Which it clearly hasn't.

If you wanted to, you could write a letter to UGC saying that you think it's a shame that they stopped doing Press and Journal Wednesdays (which only the staff ever went to) because you enjoyed the variety of films. And then we could all stand in the office and go "SEE! I told you it wasn't just staff that went."

UGC are a French company and we used to show lots of foreign films but we got bought over at Christmas by a company called Cineworld (no, we hadn't heard of them either) and they like big budget mainstream crowdpullers. So sorry about that.

God I spend far too much time talking to my managers.

UGC was a company which based the choice of films on a selection of blockbusters bringing the crowds in and allowing select other films from across the world to be shown. it's a pretty good strategy and a lot of the best films to see at the UGCs are those which aren't blockbusters. that works reasonably well at glasgow renfield street because there are 18 screens which can mean 15 of blockbusters supporting 3 others. in aberdeen however, this isn't the same because there are less screens and so it's harder to offset the small number of people who actually go to see these films (more often than not, unlimited cardholders who bring in fuck all money.)

the cinemas make nothing from showing the films, all the profit is in the food and drink, hence it's fine to show a film that only a few people go to because it makes no difference to profit in tickets, but the cinema loses out massively in food sales.

cineworld, as has been stated, use the more conventional method of filling all the screens with big money films. this means that pretty soon, even people down here in glasgow will be losing out. luckily we have the GFT and the like, but it's still a bit shit.

spoons

/x

I think Renfrew Street will still be ok but it's so unlikely that there'll be 18 Blockbusters on wide release at the same time.

Press and Journal Wednesdays were good for us because it meant we only had to lose out on profits for one day a week, but they just weren't publicised very well and only staff, who don't have to pay anyways, ended up going.

I'm transfering to West India Quay for the summer. They have ten screens which isn't much but I'm looking forward to seeing everything that rocks at Shaftsbury Avenue UGC for free. Woo.

The cinema industry sucks, so does having a brand new Asda over the road. We've been dead this weekend. Nobody wants to pay three times the price for their bags of sweeties.

we've been dead too, but mostly because the weather has been so nice. and there's nothing that good out at the mo. in terms of blockbusters, hitchhikers is old already and kingdom of heaven seems to be suffering from the bad US reviews. it's only the UK no. 1 cos there's nothing else!!

the UGC never helps itself out tho, it just offers shite deals on food and drink that usually involve buying 50 tonnes of popcorn and enough juice to reinact the tsunami. hopefully cineworld will get their shit together and get our place in order.

/x

best film of the year so far has been 'the downfall.' i'm heading out in about half an hour for a preview screening of 'Millions' followed by a Q&A with Danny Boye and it seems to be getting the thumbs up from those who have seen it so far so here's hoping it's decent.

/x