aberdeen-music

Top 3 Drummers

El Pacino

Erm' date=' less of the condescending, muso-intelligenzia shite please. I'm not a huge metal fan, but if you dont think Joey Jordison has "real talent", you frankly dont know your subject. These guys dont "rely" on a double kick to sound good - btw Travis doesnt use one too often - they use it because its a cornerstone of the style they play. Joey Jordison is probably among the best players around these days....maybe he cant play jazz worth a shit, but then again, I doubt Buddy Rich could have played on Iowa either...does that make Buddy crap?

OK rant over...my favourite 3 are:

1. Vinnie Colaiuta

2. Horacio Hernandez

3. Jimmy Chamberlin

Ask me tomorrow and i'll say something different. Honourable mentions also go out to Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Steve Gadd, John Bonham, Dave Weckl, Neil Peart, Tony Royster Jr, Dennis Chambers, Steve White, Steve Smith, Virgil Donati, Chad Smith...the list goes on.[/quote']

I also have to disagree; Joey is good, but certainly not one of the best players around today. Your list at the end there is very good, they are some of the better players around today. As another also said when it comes to kick-speed in metal and all that, Joey can easily be beaten. On a sidenote, the new guy, George Kolias, that plays for Nile seems quite decent. I heard him warming up at 250 bpm on another forum. Nice stuff.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cozy Powell - the first drummer I ever saw live that really amazed me

Fucking hell!! I haven't heard that name in a lon long time!! Not since I used to power round my bedroom as a 9 year old with my tennis racket listening to Rainbow!!

That man was a legend!! Very sad when he died.

:down:

Yeah, I saw him in 93 playing with Brian May, he was also the first proper 'rock star' I ever met and it was great to see him to the 1812 overture on drums, yes it was sad when he died, but a lesson in the problems with driving too fast whilst on your mobile phone.

Cheers

Stuart

I also have to disagree; Joey is good' date=' but certainly not one of the best players around today. Your list at the end there is very good, they are some of the better players around today. As another also said when it comes to kick-speed in metal and all that, Joey can easily be beaten. On a sidenote, the new guy, George Kolias, that plays for Nile seems quite decent. I heard him warming up at 250 bpm on another forum. Nice stuff.[/quote']

Im with Lexicon. Joey is a cracking drummer but he seems to forget about cymbal work and concentrate on fast kicking and tom rolls. Not that I dont like that though :cheers:

Guest Zeenat Aman
tony williams' date='

jack dejonette[/quote']

With you on those two, add another 'miles' drummer, Billy Cobham, and I think we have one shit hot trio of drumming perfection! Shit, there's Lenny White as well!

:gringo:

I also like ex-King Crimson founding member Michael Giles, Robert Wyatt especially his playing circa 1969 - 70 and The late Jim Capaldi of Traffic fame.

:love:

Hey ya'll,

Way too many amazing drummers to narrow it down totally but at the moment its gotta be......

1. Buddy Rich - Man is a GOD!!!

2.Mike Portnoy - Crazy S.O.A.B.

3.Morgan Agren - Frank Zappas Drummer (perfect one handed rolls in solos...baby its sweet)

Theres also the old favourites dave grohl, joey jordison (especially on the last album), dave lombardo, danny carrey and the late great keith moon. Many more that i couold name but i wont. Big J :band:

right for god's sake, new to the forum and don't want to come over totally condescending but i really can put little faith in anyone who really rates joey jordison - pro tools anyone? have you seen or heard him live? stopping and starting double kicks all the time because he simply cannot keep up. out of time on a regular basis, he must be a nightmare to play with. it's as bas time wise as bloody ringo starr.

Steve Shelley; Sonic Youth; Technical but understated

Tod Trainer; Shellac; Great style

Dave Lovering; Pixies; Tight as you will get

Mark Gajadhar; The Blood Brothers; You have to see him to know how fucking ace he is

Honerable mentions...dave grohl...greg saunier (deerhoof), Brian Chippendale (lightning bolt)

Locally....Rikki Will (copy_haho, Project:ven-hell, Doris Mavis, Did loads of stuff for masamune) rikki is class...he is so versitile, also very humble...he is a great drummer...

right for god's sake' date=' new to the forum and don't want to come over totally condescending but i really can put little faith in anyone who really rates joey jordison - pro tools anyone? have you seen or heard him live? stopping and starting double kicks all the time because he simply cannot keep up. out of time on a regular basis, he must be a nightmare to play with. it's as bas time wise as bloody ringo starr.[/quote']

Man speaks the truth!

And aye, I totally forgot about Brann Dailor, what a guy