aberdeen-music

Who uses a tremolo arm here ?

JME

How many guitarists here actively use their tremolo arm whilst playing? I have always been quite curious about these as my 79 strat is a hardtail and so has no tremolo, and as i play mainly blues the technique comes up quite alot. Are they difficult to use? I would think that it would interfere with my picking action.

Would anyone think it would be worth getting a second strat with tremolo? Although i think that is a bit extreme myself.

Cheers

I never use them. Never been a big fan of whammy bar theatrics and I hate the tuning problems associated with floyd rose etc bridges. Even if they're reliable it is extra effort to restring/retune a guitar!

My jackson had a floyd rose but I got it blocked up by a guitar shop so that it's solid like a hard tail guitar.

Guest Bailz

It depends on the song. For example, Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore I prefer to use plain old vibrato however, on The Loner by Gary Moore also I will use the tremolo as it gives a different kind of 'vibrato'.

There are all different kinds of technique for using the arm like holding it with your 3rd and 4th finger, cupping it in your palm, 'gargling' it by tapping it with your palm but it all comes down to a)the sound you want and also b)what kind of tremolo system you have.

There's no point dive bombing using, for example, a vintage Strat tremolo system as you'll be detuned by a few octaves :p by the time you come back up again - you also wouldn't want this sound in a lot of certain types of song.

Guest Gasss

I like using a tremolo Kevin Shields style where you move it side to side while strumming so it goes in and out of tune. Unfortunately it can only sound exactly like My Bloody Valentine, only not as good.

Most of the time I only need around 1/2 a semitone bend at most so I just bend the neck for surf style dips.

I went through a phase of breaking strat tremolo arms once. I used to be cool.

I never use them. Never been a big fan of whammy bar theatrics and I hate the tuning problems associated with floyd rose etc bridges. Even if they're reliable it is extra effort to restring/retune a guitar!

My jackson had a floyd rose but I got it blocked up by a guitar shop so that it's solid like a hard tail guitar.

really?? woah... never thought you were a blocker Dan!

Me, I really do enjoy the tremolo gymnastics... my Ibanez RG1570 has an awesome Ibanez made Edge Pro bridge which is fucking awesome... a true contender to Floyd's...

There's nothing like dive bombing bottom E or scorching up that natural harmonic on the 5th and 4th frets on the G string... just cool as fuck... especially if you have a compressor to keep it singing for days...

Watch the next Ascension gig hehe... but it is the power metal way ;)

Guest davetherave

I've never used trems on strat type guitars due to tuning problems, but I sometimes use the trem on my Steinberger type guitar. This design stays in tune even if you use it to make the strings go so loose that they flap around against the neck (great for underwater and insect sounds).

When I'm not making my guitar sound like something from another planet, I generally use conventional string bending and vibrato using my fingers, no tuning problems and easier to control. :) Fine for blues, but pretty difficult to dive bomb, do RATM type stuff without using a trem.

Cheers,

Dave

Always expect the unexpected

www.dave33.btinternet.co.uk

really?? woah... never thought you were a blocker Dan!

Me' date=' I really do enjoy the tremolo gymnastics... my Ibanez RG1570 has an awesome Ibanez made Edge Pro bridge which is fucking awesome... a true contender to Floyd's...

There's nothing like dive bombing bottom E or scorching up that natural harmonic on the 5th and 4th frets on the G string... just cool as fuck... especially if you have a compressor to keep it singing for days...

Watch the next Ascension gig hehe... but it is the power metal way ;)[/quote']

Well I did the odd fifth fret harmonic dives now and then but that was about it. I just preferred having more stable tuning (especially considering I tune to drop-D half the time) over the ability to do a whammy thing - i was never that great with it anyway. And also I hate soloing like Kerry King... that put me off them!

I will definitely be along at the next gig - I had 100% no option other than to miss the last two due to promised arrangements.

Well I did the odd fifth fret harmonic dives now and then but that was about it. I just preferred having more stable tuning (especially considering I tune to drop-D half the time) over the ability to do a whammy thing - i was never that great with it anyway. And also I hate soloing like Kerry King... that put me off them!

I will definitely be along at the next gig - I had 100% no option other than to miss the last two due to promised arrangements.

Yeah.. i agree he takes it way too far! It's disgusting haha.... but it can be used amazingly with some subtleness to it... great tool - but not great if you ever need to change tunings of course.

I once decided to try with the Ibanez as my Eb guitar... took me like 2 hours ffs! Then decided to switch back since I needed the 24 frets in E standard... utter cack :|

Good show, if you like any form of power metal you might get something out of it! Our songs are very mixed, style wise (of course all power metal :p). Only problem is I have to play on the same stage as Gregor... now that takes guts!!

i have a floyd on my assassin, and i only really use it for playing about with, making motorbike noises mainly... it can sound cool to use it at the end of a song/riff, hit the last note and then divebomb it away, or just adding warbles in to songs, i could never really work out how to play and use it at the same time, ie using it for adding lots of little accents while playing, i cant seem to get time to grab it and use it while picking, and holding it all the time dosent seem to work for me, so i just stick to playing with it when sustaining a note

on the other hand, my main guitar is a tele, and i dont miss the trem a bit... i play this guitar the vast majority of the time, and when i use the assassin half the time i have the trem blocked for drop d or whatever so dont use the trem anyway

David

Guest DustyDeviada

I use the tremolo on my strat and Gretsch when I play them, but recently I'va been playing my Les Paul so I haven't really had the chance. I tend to use them fairly subtly, unless I'm doing Hank Marvin stuff which is of course a bit more extreme. ;)

I dont really use one in my playing much, but I always miss the trem if it isn't there.

I never bother using non floating trems though, dont really see the point.

My edge equipped RG holds better tune than most guitars I've played, which is why I've decided that I aint going back :)

Sure, they take a lil while longer to tune but I'll always have a non-trem guitar as backup or for mucking around with other tuneings.

I use my floyd (on my ESP KH-2 NT), but not as often as I'd like to. I'm into Vader alot and their solos are similar to Slayer's and that's some of the playing I like (when it's done well, it can sound good....honest :D ).

I have my ESP tuned down to standard B at the moment though so it's a wee bit less stable for the super extreme diving. And it isn't that hard to restring! Just tune up a semitone from what you want it to settle at, leave it half an hour, then go back and fine tune and you're ready to rock :rockon: hehe.

James

Guest AmbientMood

I'm never buying a floating trem again as they are a waste of money; the novelty fading very quickly. Much better to have a guitar that feels and sounds good than one that plays like a brick but can do divebombs.

I want a tele.

I'm never buying a floating trem again as they are a waste of money; the novelty fading very quickly. Much better to have a guitar that feels and sounds good than one that plays like a brick but can do divebombs.

I want a tele.

Err... Waste of money, I think i'll disagree and say that you are not using them correctly. I can restring in about 30mins now on my Ibanez, which really aint that much trouble. Look at all the huge guitarists that use them and come back and say they are a waste of money.

In my opinion, tele's are a waste of money. The are over-hyped, over-priced pieces of shit, along with Les Pauls too btw. I'd rather take a 650 Ibanez with a floyd over a 2000 LP or Tele ANY day...

Err... Waste of money' date=' I think i'll disagree and say that you are not using them correctly. I can restring in about 30mins now on my Ibanez, which really aint that much trouble. Look at all the huge guitarists that use them and come back and say they are a waste of money.

In my opinion, tele's are a waste of money. The are over-hyped, over-priced pieces of shit, along with Les Pauls too btw. I'd rather take a 650 Ibanez with a floyd over a 2000 LP or Tele ANY day...[/quote']

I agree with half of that (I've never been a fan of teles for start) however...

The two things that everything depends on is what style you're into playing ,and what you feel COMFORTABLE playing. Using a floyd-rosed ibanez if you're into indie music isn't that sensible, just like playing metal with a telecaster. (however I'm sure some people do either of those)

Also concerning Les Paul's... my bro has a LP Custom that cost about 1700. Looks beautiful and sounds AMAZING, however I don't really enjoy playing it and it is heavy as fuck!

I agree with half of that (I've never been a fan of teles for start) however...

The two things that everything depends on is what style you're into playing ' date='and what you feel COMFORTABLE playing. Using a floyd-rosed ibanez if you're into indie music isn't that sensible, just like playing metal with a telecaster. (however I'm sure some people do either of those)

Also concerning Les Paul's... my bro has a LP Custom that cost about 1700. Looks beautiful and sounds AMAZING, however I don't really enjoy playing it and it is heavy as fuck![/quote']

good point indeed... you'd get a fucked back if you played a Les Paul all your life....

They can sound good, esp with EMGs Zakk Wylde style... but they are definately over rated and over priced for sure... I'd put them against a similar priced Steve Vai Ibanez JEM - I think i'd take the JEM without batting an eyelid...

PS... whoever gave me a neg for my post - you are a moron

PS... whoever gave me a neg for my post - you are a moron

I reckon someone must have taken offense at that 'over-hyped, over-priced pieces of shit' comment you made about teles :D Have a scene point to make up for it.

On this comment: "Much better to have a guitar that feels and sounds good than one that plays like a brick but can do divebombs."

Yeah, some guitars play like crap, the cheap ones mainly. You played a crap guitar with a floyd, cor, no wonder all floyd rose tremelos are a waste of money. :rolleyes:

Thing is they're precision pieces of equipment, for a guitar to perform and stay in tune as well as my floyd equipped guitar it has to be well maintained. Which isn't really a problem for me, I think guitars should be well maintained anyway, and having a floyd I'm more likely to fix it if anythings slightly out. As a result my axe always feels good.

I'll reiterate this, a floating trem has to be a good piece of engineering, it needs to maintain a constant counterbalance of tension from 6 differently tensioned pieces of metal pulling the other way. If you get a cheapo trem on a cheapo guitar (I mean, like, less than 400 at least), yeah its going to be crap. Although my Ibanez Edge trem is great the Ibanez 'Edge Pro II' isn't nearly as good. In the same way, the trem you'll get on a fender showmaster will be utter poops compared to an original floyd.

Whether you like them or not, is a matter of you and your taste in music and playing style.

How many guitarists here actively use their tremolo arm whilst playing? I have always been quite curious about these as my 79 strat is a hardtail and so has no tremolo' date=' and as i play mainly blues the technique comes up quite alot. Are they difficult to use? I would think that it would interfere with my picking action.

Would anyone think it would be worth getting a second strat with tremolo? Although i think that is a bit extreme myself.

Cheers[/quote']

i play a hard tail les paul/ fender tele, and have various fenders (strats), steinbergers, ibanez gtrs with trems varying from floyd rose to fenders floating trem through to steinbergers double ball end effort.....the tuning thing is a bit of an issue with the fenders, certainly not the steinberger....for years i played with trems, but now spend 95% of my playing time on the LP or tele...the biggest problem with trems is the impact on the guitars sustain, u get much better sustain on a hard tail....my advice to you would be stick with your hard tail, if at some time you feel compelled to try a trem, sure go for it, but i bet you go back to your hard tail pretty quick....

Thanks Scrooge but you just gave me a Neutral point! Don't even know how that happens...

I'm not sure what the Ibanez Edge Pro II bridge is ... havent had expeience of it, but the model I have (RG1570) has the Edge Pro bridge, not Pro II, and it's fucking unbelievable... its the one that is on the Steve Vai/Satriani signatures aswell, and IMHO is better that the original Floyds!

For the type of music i play a hardtail is really perfect, and i can just create the tremolo effect using my fingers anyway. Although divebombing sound fun.

Oh and i agree with the fact that MOST new teles are overrated overpriced pieces of crap unless you have a spare grand on you or find a rare one, give me a strat any day.

i dont really understand why so many people have problems with floyd equipped guitars... take about ten minutes to work out how the thing works and some of the quirks, and get on with it... the first time i ever changed the strings on my floyded guitar i managed it almost sa easily as chainging them on a hardtail, and that included having to set it for a different guage, it just takes a bit longer than normal until you get used to everything

restringing a floyd shouldnt really take more than 5-10 minutes more than on a hardtail when you are used to it

as for them being a waste of money... thats like saying a singlecoil is a waste of money, when you can get a humbucker which does the same job without the noise... some people prefer the sound of singlecoils, some people like to use trems in their music, either for doing simple tricks (divebombs, pullsup, etc...) or for more subtle use to enhance the song and make it a bit more interesting, yes some people may make it sound a bit cheesy and overuse it, but enough people do that with wah pedals and they can sound awesome when used right

its all down to personal preferences and what suits you and the music you play

some people love teles, some love les pauls (and some people love widdley metal planks and so on...)

David

Thanks Scrooge but you just gave me a Neutral point! Don't even know how that happens...

I'm not sure what the Ibanez Edge Pro II bridge is...

Well...I give up on the scene points system then! It doesn't work as clearly as it should and theres no obvious FAQ on how to use it. The mods have let us down on this one.

Anyway' date=' the Edge Pro II is Ibanez' new budget floating trem, I believe it replaces the 'lo-trsII' the same way the 'Edge Pro' replaced the 'Lo Pro' and 'Edge' trems. The Trem arm doesn't really have any machanism to stick in the bridge, if you tip the guitar it falls out :D

Ok its not QUITE that bad but you get the idea.

i dont really understand why so many people have problems with floyd equipped guitars

I'm pretty sure its because the cheapo floyds are nowhere near as stable as the good ones.

the biggest problem with trems is the impact on the guitars sustain' date=' u get much better sustain on a hard tail[/quote']

Yeah, I've never quite understood this...is it one of those things you only notice when you're playing live and the volumes blasting out your amp? Last time I checked, my Trem equipped guitar actually had more sustain than my hardtail!