aberdeen-music

Observations about the scene

Hog

True. Im referring to certain bands. Im not going to name them cos Im not that cruel but perhaps rightly or wrongly just referred to them as scene. Aberdeen bands may be a better name Mr Jester :cheers:

Nah all the bands above are also 'aberdeen bands'. The problem is that people make bands like Stayover and MMw 'scene bands' which isnt true they're bands that attract a specific audience, no more 'scene' than Spike or Element, or for that matter Baby Karma. There are no scene bands, people still wont go to see bands they dont like too often, the scene is a collectiove word for anyone that goes to any gig.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah all the bands above are also 'aberdeen bands'. The problem is that people make bands like Stayover and MMw 'scene bands' which isnt true they're bands that attract a specific audience' date=' no more 'scene' than Spike or Element, or for that matter Baby Karma. There are no scene bands, people still wont go to see bands they dont like too often, the scene is a collectiove word for anyone that goes to any gig.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

This actually makes sense...

When I think of the word 'scene', I don't automatically think of MMW or even local music in general for that matter- it depends on the context in which it's used. What context is it being used here?

Oh yeah, loving the SPD sound! Totally didn't expect it... just like I didn't expect Hog to be as tall as he is! :p

I think someone summed up "scene" very well a fe weeks ago, but I can't remember who it was. For there to be a scene there has to be some sort of buzz about something happening - for example the grunge scene in Seattle in the late '80's/early '90's, or the Manchester Indie scene etc. Aberdeen has nothing like that, hence no scene. It's just a buch of bands playing gigs, mainly to their mates, acting like primadona rock stars.

This actually makes sense...

When I think of the word 'scene'' date=' I don't automatically think of MMW or even local music in general for that matter- it depends on the context in which it's used. What context is it being used here?

Oh yeah, loving the SPD sound! Totally didn't expect it... just like I didn't expect Hog to be as tall as he is! :p[/quote']

I may be wrong but i think its being used as a way to collectively describe certain bands who are seen to be popular within Aberdeen and come from genres that might be considwred the 'cool' ones just now.

Cheers

Stuart

I've spent all my adult life involved in music in Aberdeen, from playing to working, and I've probably seen more gigs than anyone (except possibly Sharon Drakes) I've got one question to ask about this local "scene".

Where is it? I've seen no evidence of a "scene", all I've seen are people going to gigs with bands they like, either personally or for the music. That's not a "scene" is it?

Unless you're talking about every genre having it's own little "scene", which appears to be the case. Put on an indie gig and I could probably name 15-20 of the audience before they know they're going, it's the same with other genres.

But if you've got all these little "scenes" where's this big one that everyone keeps referring to?

I've spent all my adult life involved in music in Aberdeen' date=' from playing to working, and I've probably seen more gigs than anyone (except possibly Sharon Drakes) I've got one question to ask about this local "scene".

Where is it? I've seen no evidence of a "scene", all I've seen are people going to gigs with bands they like, either personally or for the music. That's not a "scene" is it?

Unless you're talking about every genre having it's own little "scene", which appears to be the case. Put on an indie gig and I could probably name 15-20 of the audience before they know they're going, it's the same with other genres.

But if you've got all these little "scenes" where's this big one that everyone keeps referring to?[/quote']

Adult life ? You're an adult ?

Thatskinda the point i was getting at, if theres a scene it is a general music scene and it encompasses every band in every genre, theres no 'scenesters' (except Cloud of course), just people who go to gigs.

cheers

Stuart

Adult life ? You're an adult ?

Thatskinda the point i was getting at' date=' if theres a scene it is a general music scene and it encompasses every band in every genre, theres no 'scenesters' (except Cloud of course), just people who go to gigs.

cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Stuart, I forgot to mention:

:finger:

Good Points: You can save money on soap' date=' you dont need to waste time on washing your arse, just being part of the scene guarantees that someone will lick it for you :)

Bad Points: Oh, I cant really think of any off hand, Im much to busy being creative ;)[/quote']

haha yeah

Guest AmbientMood

To me, the word 'scene' is just a filler word, that encompasses everything that goes on in Aberdeen musically. Nothing to do with any particular angle, buzz or genre, just a word you add on the end of 'the Aberdeen music *....*' to help it make sense.

'The Aberdeen music is great'

'The Aberdeen music scene is great.'

Thinking the Seattle music scene in the 80s was all about grunge is silly. You could say the scene was maybe dominated by grunge, but the scene isn't grunge and grunge isn't the scene. 'Scene' isn't an adjective:

'Describe the scene'

'ooh, the scene is dark, dirty and Cobainy..'

This fails because that suggests 'scene' has connotations associated with it.

Just a word, like 'tree.'

If you're good and put on an interesting night' date=' and market it well, then people will come, if you rely on the whole 'scene' thing then you're going to inevitably end up in trouble.[/quote']

So you don't think most scene bands sound the same? The words good and interesting can't really comply to a scene that for the most is far too similar

There are people on here who make the whole 'scene' thing a big issue as if it matters - what defines a 'scene' gig ? This website isnt the scene, its a way of people finding out musically whats going on in Aberdeen, people have made it a whole scapegoat, in reality people will do what they've always done, they'll go to gigs to hear the bands they like and meet up ith their friends. A gigs a social event, is there one person on here thats never gone to a gig as an excuse to meet mates, not listen to who's playing, it's not always about music. People will, at the end of the day go to the gigs they want to, and go to the gigs their mates are going to, they wont go because they see it as a 'scene' gig. Theres no point in thinking it will everbe anything else, it's not a scene thing.

The aberdeen scene as a whole is far too similar trend wise, that's why alot of great bands

will never come to aberdeen, simply down to there isn't the demand within the aberdeen community. This website is a gauge for the scene because alot of the more profile bands will ever get larger posts. Alot of these bands tend to be scene bands that feature in the mainstream media. Then again if you pay peanuts for bands to come to aberdeen then you are going to get monkeys.

I think that on these boards anyone who actually does well is suddenly announced to be 'scene' because people go to their gigs, thats crap, they're just hitting a chord with someone, MMw are no more a scene band than Jo, or the Video's, they just attract fans who happen to be on here or not. People going to a gig doesnt make them 'scene'. I recently got accused of being a 'scenester' despite only going deliberately to one gig this year that was nothing to do with Jo or Emma, not sure how that followed.

The question should be 'Observations about this board', there isnt a music scene, if there is it encompasses every band that gets anyone to their gigs.

The term scene relates to musical content and not people who attend. How can you say that people going to gigs aren't scene? A person is scene when they only goto bands with profile or are regarded trendy.

I've spent all my adult life involved in music in Aberdeen' date=' from playing to working, and I've probably seen more gigs than anyone (except possibly Sharon Drakes) I've got one question to ask about this local "scene".

But if you've got all these little "scenes" where's this big one that everyone keeps referring to?[/quote']

Wouldn't that be the emo/punkpop scene. The largest problem with aberdeen

go and check out the ineteresting music nights

all the sceners stay away. plus you hear creative' date=' interesting music that is pushing boundaries.

the scene just seems to be popo punk/emocore/popular people rather than about music[/quote']

it's important to bear in mind that not everyone is looking to find music that is pushing boundaries. i'll be perfectly honest and say that about 80% of the music i listen to is pushing no boundaries whatsoever. perhaps it was when it was originally recorded but i very seldom seek music which could be described as this.

i ilke to hear people playing the kind of stuff i like, but playing it better than i've heard it played before or with something a little special thrown in.

it's not always about seeking unheard sounds and breaking down barriers.

i listen to a lot of music and i'm not closed minded about what i will give a listen to, but i don't feel it necessary to be challenged all the time.

spoons

/x

The aberdeen scene to me is non existent, i only really want to go see a few bands every year in aberdeen. Too many bands that do play aberdeen don't challenge me enough to go and see. If only the bands that i go to see in glasgow came to aberdeen then i would be happy. The aberdeen community isn't diverse enough and is far too shallow.

This will always be the downfall of alot of bands not coming here. I really do think the aberdeen music scene is stale. Although ross has helped it a little. But who knows how long that will last for, only the aberdeen people will determine that.

So why don't alot of the bands that play glasgow and even dundee come to aberdeen?

Then we have the exhibition centre ha what a joke that place is, why the hell they don't follow

up with bands that play the glasgow secc is beyond me. Totally gutless

Guest Zeenat Aman
go and check out the ineteresting music nights

all the sceners stay away. plus you hear creative' date=' interesting music that is pushing boundaries.

music[/quote']

Although the last one I attended seemed to be like some kind of timewarp to a time long gone.

Guest Zeenat Aman
I think Hog should write an essay on "The Scene" I want a 1500word minimum' date=' double spaced and with a full biblo and reference section...on my email account by thursday![/quote']

... and some scene points.

I think Hog should write an essay on "The Scene" I want a 1500word minimum' date=' double spaced and with a full biblo and reference section...on my email account by thursday![/quote']

Tav, you nailed it! I didnt start this thread to over-analyize the word "scene" lol

Guest Zeenat Aman
& you couldn't have had FOUR more different artists on one bill................

& one caused a total divide of opinion. I was proud of that night

Oh my, what I said wasn't meant as a negative, I thought it was one of the best gigs i've attended!!!

EDIT: Plus, from what I've heard, all the artists that push music foward, have some of the qualities that was present in the music that inspired them.

Two steps forwad, one step back...

Although the last one I attended seemed to be like some kind of timewarp to a time long gone.

I thought you would have liked that? Cause i believe you are a throwback to the old days yourself philip ?!?!?! :D

Edit: Well i see you answered my question at the same time i was writing it... :D