aberdeen-music

Why do you like your fave genre of music?

Hog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as "genres" go I like so many of them I totally disregard them: it's all about the bands or artists, not the genre. Anywat, lumping together The Clash, The Damned, The Sex Pistols and The Stranglers together as punk is as silly as lumping together Blur, Oasis and Pulp as Britpop. Genres are conveneient journalistic labels, nothing more.

And the more you define it, the less precise it gets. What's post-hardcore, how's it different from hard-core? Why were The Stranglers punk and not Dr Feelgood? Why are Pearl Jam and Nirvana both supposed to be "grunge"?

What I like are the good skillful exponents of particular musical forms, not the forms in themselves. I.e. Obituary, not Lawnmower Death; Pink Floyd, not Yes; Sex Pistols, not 999. And above all The Beatles and Miles Davis, because they invented musical styles and forms instead of following them!! :music:

multi genres in no order

punk

hip hop/rap

disco

electro

techno

reggae

dub

dancehall

garage rock

some rock n roll if its not too shit

some forms of noisecore/grindcore if it sounds genuinly scary

all metal bands should have their heads forcably shaved and their hands removed

multi genres in no order

Says the man who lists the top ten styles of sonic excrement as his preferred 'music' of choice:

multi genres in no order

punk

hip hop/rap

disco

electro

techno

reggae

dub

dancehall

garage rock

I hope I'm not as rubbish as you when I get old.

multi genres in no order

punk

hip hop/rap

disco

electro

techno

reggae

dub

dancehall

garage rock

some forms of noisecore/grindcore if it sounds genuinly scary

check out the MIA/Diplo link above if you haven't heard it, covers at least 5 of the above at various stages.

I dont think there is a specific genre of music that I really like' date=' but I think the things that draw me to songs are the lyrics and melody. Some of ther lyrics i like come from commercial songs like Dido's White Flag, others come from stuff like Fish's Plague of Ghosts, or from Queen to the Barenaked Ladies, at the moment from having Enjoyed Midge's acoustic set last night I've been listtening to stuff like Cold Cold Heart, Breathe and Dancing with Tears in my eyes.

At the moment the band I have been listening to the most is probably Transvision Vamp tho.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

My God that is Truly terrifying - but now i understand and all my questions like ''who the fuck buys that stuff'' are answered. Thankyou. You are a brave man :cheers:

My God that is Truly terrifying - but now i understand and all my questions like ''who the fuck buys that stuff'' are answered. Thankyou. You are a brave man :cheers:

Well i run it similarly to my thoughts of 'who bought Real Shocks stuff?', followed by the answer no-one !!!

I enjoy the music I do, you enjoy what you like,wheres the problem ? You really should learn not to be so bitter.

Fish, Midge, Dido etc have all sold millions, so i guess i'm not the only one who likes them, in fact I know for a fact I'm not the only person on these forums that like them, so i dont see the problems, enjoy what you enjoy and thats all.

Cheers

Stuart

Well i run it similarly to my thoughts of 'who bought Real Shocks stuff?'' date=' followed by the answer no-one !!!

I enjoy the music I do, you enjoy what you like,wheres the problem ? You really should learn not to be so bitter.

Fish, Midge, Dido etc have all sold millions, so i guess i'm not the only one who likes them, in fact I know for a fact I'm not the only person on these forums that like them, so i dont see the problems, enjoy what you enjoy and thats all.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I was actually joking but never mind.....

Guest RockMonkey

Hmmm, I don't have a favourite genre per se. I do like manic harmonies, Rufus Wainwright, Crosby Stills Nash (and Young), Blood Sweat and Tears. Then I like the sparser stuff, Nick Drake, Melanie, Joan Baez. Then I like the silly stuff, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, They Might be Giants, Corky and the Juice Pigs. I really like Cake, great rythms and clashing trumpet, driving bass, nice deep male vocal...Some Crash Test Dummies stuff is great cos of the guys vocal range. NIN has some brilliant material. And then of course there's Billie Holiday and Nina Simone...brilliant for rainy nights in the city.

I guess if you can make a genre out of all that, then that would be my favourite. It would more likely be a hell of a stramash though!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
xIxlikexemoxbecausexIxcan'txgetxlaidxandxhavexaxstupidxhaircutxandxaxfinexcollectionxofxthricextxshirtsxxxx...XXXXXforlyfe!!xxxx

Post of the decade.