aberdeen-music

class divide, aberdeen scene.

Ollie

Uhhhh...

Expensive gear doesn't make a good band. Cheap as shit gear doesn't make a bad band...

as for our gear.... (not that any of it is mine... but speaking about my bands equipment) in the catalogue of shiny things... we have written songs with cheap instruments... we have written songs with expensive instruments... the only difference is not in the songs... but the quality of the polished sound at the end...

Basically the Nord makes very nice noises that cheaper synths simply can't produce... that is why we have it... if a cheaper synth could do what the Nord Lead 2 does to the same level... we'd buy that.

We don't buy the shiny things because they are expensive... we buy them because they are shiny and make pretty noises.

The above might not make sense.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of hate for all of you right now, ho ho. Squabbling about equipment? Get with the programme.

This sort of thing puts me off music, and people... and Aberdeen *sigh*

Why is there such an inherent need for criticism? I guess without a journalistic critique upon different mediums like music then there would be no refining or need to get better and excel, however this is beyond the ridiculous.

This aggression won't stand, man.

Basically the Nord makes very nice noises that cheaper synths simply can't produce... that is why we have it...

And even if it did sound crap....who cares....its RED

Back on topic...i dont care if rich kids have good stuff....even if they dont exactly do the justice the instrument deserves....fuck if my dad wanted to spend 20grand on some shit for me, and i couldnt play it for tuppence....i still wouldnt give a fuck what anyone else thought.....everyone gets annoyed when they see shit bands with good stuff, you just have to laugh it off and get on with things...

its snobbery and inverse snobbery

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

You're The Biggest Elistist ever to post on these boards!

Art Punks can be defined thus: They think no one else understands irony, but they themselves fail to grasp it.

Guest Zeenat Aman
I have a lot of hate for all of you right now' date=' ho ho. Squabbling about equipment? Get with the programme.

This sort of thing puts me off music, and people... and Aberdeen *sigh*

Why is there such an inherent need for criticism? I guess without a journalistic critique upon different mediums like music then there would be no refining or need to get better and excel, however this is beyond the ridiculous.

This aggression won't stand, man.[/quote']

I told you, get out while you can! Btw, you are ever so handsome in the flesh, if I were a carpenter!

it doesn't matter. Black atom are FUCKING AMAZING.

Yes!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

Art Punks can be defined thus: They think no one else understands irony' date=' but they themselves fail to grasp it.[/quote']

I dont get it!?

:gringo:

Guest Electric Tibet

I had a thought...

Maybe elitists can be described as people who believe that a particular type of music (whether it is definied by sound or by the people who make it) can be intrinsically less valuable than another.

Or as someone before me put it...

At the end of the day' date=' the only way you cunts think is " I fuckin hate your style of music so u are shit".

You are all a bunch of pretentious wanks. I don't like the shit you cunts play but I don't slate you for it[/quote']

Art Punks can be defined thus: They think no one else understands irony' date=' but they themselves fail to grasp it.[/quote']

How am I actually elitist?

What is 'art punk'?

Who fucking cares?

I thought this was about people having posher equipment than others anyway??? Faggot.

Out of interest' date=' how many people did you play to at SXSW and how much did you pay or were you chosen to play?

[i']"PAY TO PLAY (MUSICAL SLAVERY)

A for profit foundation is SXSW

where the bands pay to express

their aversion to capitalism

while paying for the privilege !"

http://www.bettyelders.com/somesxsw.htm

i know but its not for me to say!

Why not' date=' so long as what you know is correct?[/quote']

i'm not 100% sure if what i know is correct and in any case its got bugger all to do with me, dont even know why i posted the above, i've been working too hard this weekend!

i know but its not for me to say!

were you there? didnt see you!

anyhoo

about SXSW stuff > seeing as yooz are actually interested (Im fucking shocked)

We were asked to go along with about 10 other scottish bands including the famous ones (Franz, Snow Patrol, Sons & Daughters etc)

90% of everything was paid for. So it was like a free holiday to the states. We got passes to every gig which was the best thing.

We got to play twice. The venues are tiny bars a bit like new orleans (its not like it sounds on zane low beleive me!). Even the big venues are small. I would guess there was between 50 and 75 in the first venue. Mostly american DJs/promoters. It seemed busy anyway. The second venue was kinda wee also, and was a private party in a really cool film studio with a fountain in the middle of the stage. All the proper pop stars were in the audience (BRMC, Strokes, The Polyphinic Spree Guy, Ravonettes). Everyone took drugs and danced a lot so it was one of my favorite ever gigs.

Dunno what else to say. I would go again but only with more promotional backing, its like not a good festival for unknown bands really, a good experience/holiday yus, but you are up against some huge acts if you want to pull a crowd. We went up against Franz Ferdinand and Scissor Sisters simultaneously.....ie we played at the same time as both bands on the same street in similar sized bars. Both those bands had major label support. We had some home made flyers.

Some good things (radio sessions, american contacts) have and might still come oot of it.

Guest Zeenat Aman
were you there? didnt see you!

anyhoo

about SXSW stuff > seeing as yooz are actually interested (Im fucking shocked)

We were asked to go along with about 10 other scottish bands including the famous ones (Franz' date=' Snow Patrol, Sons & Daughters etc)

90% of everything was paid for. So it was like a free holiday to the states. We got passes to every gig which was the best thing.

We got to play twice. The venues are tiny bars a bit like new orleans (its not like it sounds on zane low beleive me!). Even the big venues are small. I would guess there was between 50 and 75 in the first venue. Mostly american DJs/promoters. It seemed busy anyway. The second venue was kinda wee also, and was a private party in a really cool film studio with a fountain in the middle of the stage. All the proper pop stars were in the audience (BRMC, Strokes, The Polyphinic Spree Guy, Ravonettes). Everyone took drugs and danced a lot so it was one of my favorite ever gigs.

Dunno what else to say. I would go again but only with more promotional backing, its like not a good festival for unknown bands really, a good experience/holiday yus, but you are up against some huge acts if you want to pull a crowd. We went up against Franz Ferdinand and Scissor Sisters simultaneously.....ie we played at the same time as both bands on the same street in similar sized bars. Both those bands had major label support. We had some home made flyers.

Some good things (radio sessions, american contacts) have and might still come oot of it.[/quote']

Thanks for the reply, seems a bit of a rip off for those that pay to apply and so on though. I wonder what Del's knowledge on the matter is!?

stir baby stir

But remember...PRODUCT_zammo_400.jpg