aberdeen-music

class divide, aberdeen scene.

Ollie

Guest DustyDeviada
359meeeee.jpg

80.....ebay! Money is not the be all and end all. :rockon:

Ah, but "you're never going to get fucking anywhere except photographing some bird cutting the cake at her wedding, or as a stunt extra on Lord of the Rings" :D

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first guitar was my Gibson flying V and my first amp was a Marshall. However, I bought them with money I got after getting my cheekbone fractured by some minky twat as opposed to getting my mum and dad to stump up for it. No wait, actually the amp was a birthday present.

However, I'd started on my sister's Jim Dunlop guitar and Park amp. I found that once I got my Gibson, I decided it deserved to be played properly and that's when I started teaching myself to play in earnest.

This doesn't really have anything to do with anything, I just like saying that I have a Gibson.

Guest DustyDeviada
If i was gonna blow money on my kids I'd much rather spend as little as possible to see if somethings ever gonna come of it...while it is nice' date=' very nice, really fucking nice to play a very expensive guitar...it won't help you play any better or worse whilst learning!![/quote']

Yep, quite the opposite in fact. I've read interviews with many great guitarists who have said that learning on a crappy acoustic with a bent neck and high action has led to them having stronger left hands for fingering and vibrato as a result.

people can play whatever the fuck instruments they like and to whatever standard they like at whatever style they see fit. i worked my bollocks off with holiday jobs for years and i've got a jap precision, a us precision, a stingray and a warwick, all of which i've paid for myself. if people have parents that will give them shit like that for birthdays and christmasses, good on them. this kind of chat just reeks of jealousy. concentrate on your own shit and let other people worry about theirs. if you don't like their music or you think they're shite at it, don't go and see them, but don't piss and moan cos you have to rake bins for 30 years just to get a new set of strings and they got stuff on a plate. get practicing and turn up as their support act, playing guitars you've fashioned from bin fodder and wipe the floor with them all.

spoons

/x

I know what you mean about seeing people who are shit playing amazing equipment... it's seems unfair, but anyone else would do the same. An analogy i could relate this to is Chelsea FC, effectively buying their success with billions of pounds. But what are they gonna do, not spend it? they've got shitlodas of money so they might as well - but I hate them anyway. Some are just lucky I guess.

I remember ripping it up* in a guitar shop on a 450 dimebag Washburn guitar (which I actually bought) whilst some guys was embarassing himself on a 2.5k PRS... but again, if he's got the money and wants a guitar what's he gonna do...buy a shitty Jim Deacon les paul copy? I'd imagine there was a kid somewhere trying out a 250 guitar that could play a mile better than I could.

If i had the money I'd have the BEST equipment, even though there are others who are more deserving.

* For the record I am 99% of the time the worst guitar shop player in existance, this was a one off!

Guest DustyDeviada

This doesn't really have anything to do with anything' date=' I just like saying that I have a Gibson.[/quote']

Amen to that brother! Lets see some pics too!

Guest Zeenat Aman
Although I've always meant to take some pics of me taking an orgasm over my guitar' date=' I've never actually done it yet. So there are no pics.

Suffice to say it is brown with a white scratchplate and shaped like a big V.[/quote']

flyingvn.jpg

?

people can play whatever the fuck instruments they like and to whatever standard they like at whatever style they see fit. i worked my bollocks off with holiday jobs for years and i've got a jap precision' date=' a us precision, a stingray and a warwick, all of which i've paid for myself. if people have parents that will give them shit like that for birthdays and christmasses, good on them. this kind of chat just reeks of jealousy. concentrate on your own shit and let other people worry about theirs. if you don't like their music or you think they're shite at it, don't go and see them, but don't piss and moan cos you have to rake bins for 30 years just to get a new set of strings and they got stuff on a plate. get practicing and turn up as their support act, playing guitars you've fashioned from bin fodder and wipe the floor with them all.

spoons

/x[/quote']

best post in this thread, although it had very little competition. :up:

Yeah, I agree totally with Spoonie. This thread reeks of jealosy. So what if folk have fantastic guitars but can't play. I've always said and will stand by - always buy the best gear you can afford.

As for this split in the Aberdeen music scene - get real. There is no scene in Aberdeen. For there to be a scene there has to be a buzz about it. There is on such thing here. All you have are a bunch of bands, some better than others, but certainly no scene. Makes me glad I'm joining a jazz band......

personally i refuse to play anything that isnt worth at least 5k as i am a little spolt brat who always gets what he wants..........get a grip.

So what if someone has the best gear ever?? Doesnt make them any better does it??

Grow up people and stop paying so much attention to what everyone else has or is doing worry about your own band and your own equipment.

billy joel still tours with his first ever guitar, what does that tell you??

Always thought Randy Rhodes was the pioneer of the whitetop Les Paul... until both went flying through the windshield of his chipmunk..

See.. rich kids with planes.. are killing music.. :D

Quite possibly. All I know is Bradfield wanted one cos Mick Jones used a white top a lot, and I want one cos I'm obsessed with the Manics. Perhaps I can get someone to break my leg and I can claim criminal injuries again.

Any takers?