aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Smashing Pumpkins ~ Pisces Isocariot 2CD/DVD/Cassette box set.

It was another slow day in One Up, really hope that it doesn't go under. It would be pretty terrible not to have an independent record shop in Aberdeen.

Love love love Smashing Pumpkins!

I hope it doesn't too, I go in there just to chill out it's so calm.

Guest deprofundis

Intronaut - "Valley of smoke" (!)

Pat Metheny - "Unity band"(!!)

Kongh - "Shadows of the shapeless" (!!!!!)

Smashing Pumkins "Oceania"..

Alberta Cross - "Songs of patience"

How is it? On top of my birthday list I have a list of things I'll buy myself with birthday money, tempted by this. Is it good? Like, main present good?

I enjoyed it. I'd always put off getting any Gaslight Anthem stuff as they reek of Springsteen but i'd heard the first 2 singles from Handrwritten (45, Handwritten) and really enjoyed them so i took the plunge and bought it. There's a few bits that are borderline Springsteen/Matchbox 20 rips but it's good. It was certainly good enough to warrant me buying 59 Sound and American Slang, both of which confirmed my Springsteen concerns.

• Upvote 1

It was another slow day in One Up, really hope that it doesn't go under. It would be pretty terrible not to have an independent record shop in Aberdeen.

I heard there's more staff due to leave soon. Doesn't look good. Just can't think what they could do to stay alive in a world where people increasingly don't buy music on a physical format. They can't survive on ticket sales, t-shirts and second hand sales alone.

It's not just people not buying physical releases. Those who do tend to buy online. It'd stink if One Up went under, but at least there's still tons of folk with their own distros at gigs and running mail order out of their house, selling records for very little above wholesale price. Record shops just can't compete with that. As much as I do like One Up, I do begrudge buying an LP for £20.

I enjoyed it. I'd always put off getting any Gaslight Anthem stuff as they reek of Springsteen but i'd heard the first 2 singles from Handrwritten (45, Handwritten) and really enjoyed them so i took the plunge and bought it. There's a few bits that are borderline Springsteen/Matchbox 20 rips but it's good. It was certainly good enough to warrant me buying 59 Sound and American Slang, both of which confirmed my Springsteen concerns.

I love that '59 sound record. Lost touch with Gaslight since....might have to catch up.

I heard there's more staff due to leave soon. Doesn't look good. Just can't think what they could do to stay alive in a world where people increasingly don't buy music on a physical format. They can't survive on ticket sales, t-shirts and second hand sales alone.

One-Up were talking about doing online stuff about ten years ago... they probably should have taken the plunge then.

Sadly the internet/supermarkets have killed all these wee independent stores, shame :(

I still buy physical releases all the time, hate downloading music. Although increasingly I'll buy cds online as its a pain to get from work into town during the week.

I was in last Sunday and then again through the week, downstairs was shut both times :( My purchases on the Sunday were apparently the biggest sale for the day, nae great...

Yogi's last day is today :(

The words on One-Up's facebook as they made the announcement was "As One-Up heads towards the last track"

Would be a shame if it shuts but I agree with Chris about not fitting in these days. I'm guilty for downloading off iTunes all the time however when I do buy a physical copy of something I always get it from One-Up. How long has it been open for? I remember the 30th birthday bash with King Creosote but can't remember how long ago that was.