aberdeen-music

Being Unemployed

Fluffy

It was fun at first, sleeping loads and doing f* all, but god damn I am fed up of being unemployed now!! I am soooo bored and want money!

It sucks having to sponge off other people. I have become addicted to spider solitare and playing way too much GTA: San Andreas.

Trouble is, once you have been unemployed for a while, you just dont wanna go back to work full time. Life sucks sometimes! :swearing:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
pleaces aren't a fan of pink streaks and bleach blonde hair it seems..

Well, that's a shock. What did you expect? Why not get into care work? That's what I do, and your appearance isn't really an issue. It can't be, I look like an ape that's been shoe-horned into a pair of Docs and then strategically shaved but I'm into my fourth year in the job and the promotion prospects are pretty good too. You don't have to compromise your look in all areas of employment and this is rewarding work.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Jake tell me more

You don't need qualifications either, so that Sociology degree I got was a bit of a waste of time. You have to do an SVQ as part of your workplace training, but that's not exactly challenging.

well i applied for a job and got a call this morning. i have all the experince etc needed (would have been a good job) but im not getting an interview because my cv didnt have the dates of work on it- only the months. god darnit!

good thing is though the woman gave me some tips on my cv so yay i guess.

still no money though, job centre, here i come. :(

Well' date=' that's a shock. What did you expect? Why not get into care work? That's what I do, and your appearance isn't really an issue. It can't be, I look like an ape that's been shoe-horned into a pair of Docs and then strategically shaved but I'm into my fourth year in the job and the promotion prospects are pretty good too. You don't have to compromise your look in all areas of employment and this is rewarding work.[/quote']

Our bass player is a care workerin Ellon, he earns shitloads of cash, and seems to enjoy it for the most part.

well i applied for a job and got a call this morning. i have all the experince etc needed (would have been a good job) but im not getting an interview because my cv didnt have the dates of work on it- only the months. god darnit!

good thing is though the woman gave me some tips on my cv so yay i guess.

still no money though' date=' job centre, here i come. :([/quote']

Fucking hell. If you're looking for a job make sure you get your CV up to scratch. It's the first thing an employer will judge you on for god's sake. Customise your CV for every job you apply for, make sure it's relevent and laid out in a neat and readable manner. Go to Grampian Careers if you want some advice on your CV.

And the Jobcentre isn't scary. If you are unemployed and out of full time education (and that includes uni) then go ask about jobseekers allowance. That's what it's there for. Don't tihnk of it as scrounging or something that's beneath you. Think of it as claiming money you're rightfully entitled to. The other good thing about the jobcentre is it formalises your search for work and forces you to get your arse out of bed now and then and look hard for a job.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Fucking hell. If you're looking for a job make sure you get your CV up to scratch. It's the first thing an employer will judge you on for god's sake. Customise your CV for every job you apply for' date=' make sure it's relevent and laid out in a neat and readable manner. Go to Grampian Careers if you want some advice on your CV.

And the Jobcentre isn't scary. If you are unemployed and out of full time education (and that includes uni) then go ask about jobseekers allowance. That's what it's there for. Don't tihnk of it as scrounging or something that's beneath you. Think of it as claiming money you're rightfully entitled to. The other good thing about the jobcentre is it formalises your search for work and forces you to get your arse out of bed now and then and look hard for a job.[/quote']

People generally hate the job centre more because they make you/us feel like shit, not because they see it as beneath them to sign on.

People generally hate the job centre more because they make you/us feel like shit' date=' not because they see it as beneath them to sign on.[/quote']

*shrugs* I've spent two years of my life signing on (not in one go. but on 4 seperate occasions) and have been on new deal twice and I always found the job centre to be quite helpful. apart from they couldn't find me a job but they don't get much IT jobs through their doors anyway. As long as you go in there knowing what to expect and you don't fuck them about you should be ok.

my only bad experience with the job centre was the fault of Dixons.

Guest Zeenat Aman
*shrugs* I've spent two years of my life signing on (not in one go. but on 4 seperate occasions) and have been on new deal twice and I always found the job centre to be quite helpful. apart from they couldn't find me a job but they don't get much IT jobs through their doors anyway. As long as you go in there knowing what to expect and you don't fuck them about you should be ok.

my only bad experience with the job centre was the fault of Dixons.

Hmmm, much like you'reeasy going experiences with bouncers, you've been lucky then...

Plus, not everyone looks as friendly and cuddly as you and Dave!!!

well i thought my cv was fine until now, and that is what feedback is for isnt it.

i dont look as the jobcentre being below me, i have signed on a few times before. its as has been said, they make you feel like shit. very de-moralising.#they have changed the system now, got to fill out the forms over the phone. oh the joys!

id love to work with the mentally ill, but for personal reasons i cant. pity, but shit happens (esp to me)

i spent about 8 months signing on - on two seperate occasions

and both times the job centre failed to find me any work - which didnt bother me for a while cos i used to enjoy sleeping... but paying bills and eating and going out is no fun without the funds to do it

so

if you dont try and find a job by yourself

then you will find it very difficult to find one at all

motivation is a difficult thing to get

but without it

you're pretty much screwed

Its so true. ALso the harder you work the harder you play: when you're unemployed its a seven day weekend with no money and you are permanently lethargic. When I left Uni because I'd decided I wanted to write I took a summer out to do nothing but that, but got bugger all done apart from sleeping and drinking. Got a job and wrote three plays in a year.

Ohh look at me , im so unhappy that im on the dole :nono:

Bo fucking hoo, being a student is much harder i think. Look u dont have to look for the best job, i work as a cleaner. Its a shit job, yet gives me plenty of money to do the things i enjoy whitch include going out, buying clothes games, going to gigs, dvds etc.

Whats even more annoying is when people go on about there being no jobs. I found 5 in a week that required no qualifications or previous experiance.

I have absoulutely no sympathy for the unemployed. Sorry but its how i feel, u should be able to find a job in a big place like aberdeen without having to count on the job centre

Dont have a scooby how it feels. I think Id rather be unemployed... Ive been in part time employment since the age of 14. Really should go full time now since dropping out of college though.. Ive never found getting a job to be that difficult. Getting out of bed, now thats difficult!