All gone to pot?

Guest tv tanned

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. So that's why I'm so fucked up! :ding:

No but really. I understand what youre saying but its not entirely true. Dont generalise a nation man, yes they are more tollerant but its not as if it was always this way. Introducing the drug wont cause revolts and revolutions. We should be trying to mirror them more, not thinking we are fine the way we are.

The text in bold' date=' i was unsure of what you meant.[/quote']

Correcting for tabacco smoking means the effects observed are above and beyond those associated with just tobacco smoke - In other words, smoking cannabis gives more of those symptoms than smoking tabacco alone would.

I am going to find the Fligiel paper. When you say it increases symptoms of wheezing and coughing etc what are the conditions again?

The Fligiel paper predominantly looks at the histology of biopsies from bronchial mucosa taken from 53 control non-smokers, 31 regular tobacco smokers, 40 smokers of marijuana only and 16 current smokers of both marijuana and tobacco. Smoking history was equal or greater than 10 joints a week for 5 years or more. Any patient with a family history or, or a previous history of, respiratory disease were excluded. Male and female both included, aged between 21 and 50.

There's other papers on this subject, including Boyce & Quigley (2002, in Emergency Medicine), Roth et al (1998, American Journal of Respiratory Critical Care Medicine) and Taylor et al (2000, in Addiction. 2002 in Addiction).

i think marijuana is a tough drug to research due to the many ways of consuming it, using it, producing it etc.. each with there own + and -'s. Ingesting it is simply uncommon due to the way in which its sold, produced or the illegal aspect of it. I would quite happy not smoke ever again if i could wake up and eat a marijuana laced tracker bar.

From personal experience I never enjoyed the slow onset hit of eating it, much preferred the immediacy of smoking. Yeah, I could almost sound hypocritical here but I've not once said people shouldn't smoke it ;) I agree strongly with the individual right to choose thing going on here, but I do get uptight when I don't feel a balanced view is being portrayed. After all, if we're wanting people to have an informed opinion you need to drag out all the dirt so people can learn.

Doesnt mixing cannabis with tobacco cause extremely worse carciogenic(sp?) effects, i believe it increases the dangers dramatically doesnt it?. I just want to know the method in which the cannabis is being consumed for these various research. What about vaporizing it?

(It's 'carcinogenic', btw). And yeah, there does appear to be a further increased risk in cannabis smoking than there is with smoking tobacco alone. I take your point about smoking not being an ideal vehicle for the drug, but vaporisers have not been stringently scientifically tested. There are some claims on the web that they have been proven to decrease toxins, but these have been done (if they were done at all) by bogus labs from non-accredited research institutes. The problem with vaoprizers is that they assume the evaporation of only the 'good' chemicals in pot, but as the studies above prove it's not necessarily the smoking related part of the drug that causes the toxic effects in humans. There simply isn't any valid scientific studies into their effectiveness at the moment.

(Although, sprays from Delta9-THC were clinically developed, and found to be pretty much crap, as far as I can remember. I'll maybe try and look some more info out).

I resent the ignorant comment by the way and in no way shape or form think i know everything about it, nor does anyone for that matter. But i take a keen interest in finding out the relevant facts, good or bad. I am open to the pros and cons of it. I have only berated people taking a very stubborn and narrowminded approach to it all.

I'll apologise unreservedly for being so blunt then, but at least we're now crystal-clear that the aim of this discussion is to bring out as many facts or misconceptions as we can.

Maybe i am ignorant, but i do NOT see how smoking pure grass could ever rival the health risks of smoking a cigarette. And thats just general "grass", what about it it were organically grown? it is a plant and there are ways of harnessing the qualities in it without serious health problems.

Organically grown tobacco would still be carcinogenic, so I don't see why you'd expect organically grown grass to be any different? The problem is the specific components of cannabis that cause the negative effects have not been fully confirmed - For example, much as nicotine from tobacco has negative effects upon health it may be that the active ingredient in cannabis, delta9-thc, contributes to the undesirable effects of weed. It would certainly make sense that the psychoactive compound would be causing the associated mental health problems independently of how pure it was or the route of administration.

p.s i do not wish to undermine our democracy( i dont need to) and i have no political agenda other than having the right to my own body and wishes.

Cool, I just read your previous comment the wrong way. The right to your own body is not under contest, but I do personally feel that when such issues are aired publically it's important to present the good with the bad in an honest way. I may have jumped the gun slightly in my response, but at least it's presented another side to the discussion.

I am most interested in what you are saying, indeed.

:)

If I come across as an arrogant cock, just let me know ;D

From personal experience I never enjoyed the slow onset hit of eating it' date=' much preferred the immediacy of smoking. Yeah, I could almost sound hypocritical here but I've not once said people shouldn't smoke it ;) I agree strongly with the individual right to choose thing going on here, but I do get uptight when I don't feel a balanced view is being portrayed. After all, if we're wanting people to have an informed opinion you need to drag out all the dirt so people can learn.[/quote']

No you are correct. The slow onset is is different and not nearly as practical. I have never been a regular smoker of joints. Buckets and pipes are generally my medium, the effects of all these methods vary. But my point was that if i could buy it as easily as that then i would smoke less. It was somewhat of a extreme statement..but i feel you will understand my mindset on that one.

(It's 'carcinogenic'' date=' btw). And yeah, there does appear to be a further increased risk in cannabis smoking than there is with smoking tobacco alone. I take your point about smoking not being an ideal vehicle for the drug, but vaporisers have not been stringently scientifically tested. There are some claims on the web that they have been proven to decrease toxins, but these have been done (if they were done at all) by bogus labs from non-accredited research institutes. The problem with vaoprizers is that they assume the evaporation of only the 'good' chemicals in pot, but as the studies above prove it's not necessarily the smoking related part of the drug that causes the toxic effects in humans. There simply isn't any valid scientific studies into their effectiveness at the moment.

(Although, sprays from Delta9-THC were clinically developed, and found to be pretty much crap, as far as I can remember. I'll maybe try and look some more info out).

I'll apologise unreservedly for being so blunt then, but at least we're now crystal-clear that the aim of this discussion is to bring out as many facts or misconceptions as we can.

Organically grown tobacco would still be carcinogenic, so I don't see why you'd expect organically grown grass to be any different? The problem is the specific components of cannabis that cause the negative effects have not been fully confirmed - For example, much as nicotine from tobacco has negative effects upon health it may be that the active ingredient in cannabis, delta9-thc, contributes to the undesirable effects of weed. It would certainly make sense that the psychoactive compound would be causing the associated mental health problems independently of how pure it was or the route of administration.

Cool, I just read your previous comment the wrong way. The right to your own body is not under contest, but I do personally feel that when such issues are aired publically it's important to present the good with the bad in an honest way. I may have jumped the gun slightly in my response, but at least it's presented another side to the discussion.

If I come across as an arrogant cock, just let me know ;D[/quote']

Im pleased theres some level headed(ness) going on here. Yes.

I have not been introduced to the notion of the toxins and negative elements of pot not being produced by smoking. Thats very goddamn interesting. I did not, nor do i ever mean to come across self rituous or pretencious but it always seems to be the way...the FACTS should be gathered and talked about. This is one of my main problems, i feel like eye gouging myself when people just give general quips about the drug. My ever increasing interest in this situation is for the drug but also the negative press as it were that it contains. Like anything else i think people should just be aware of what they can. Interest or no interest its better to understand the truth about it. Despite how ever developing this subject is.

i appreciate where you are coming from, interesting reading. :)

You were obviously aware of that photo in the reading '03 leaflet/day planner things? i fucking howled when i saw it. :D

dude, we have college in 10minutes. and i have an exam to fail. i'll race you? :rockon:

Im superfast yo' date=' robbyrocketpants style.[/quote']

well, i'm not superfast..but i can run...gah...7minutes, i'll leave in 2, cos i'm cool, or something..*shrugs*

she's always late anyway..and okay, yeh i'll leave, she hates me enough

*runs*

1) Yes I "get" where your coming from and you have relevant points

2) I didnt make a point' date=' true, at 2am after a heavy drinking session at Jakes, what do you expect?

3) I didnt congratulate everybody on being "ace"

4) I dont care if people reply to me

5) Im not stupid, I did well at College.

Grow the fuck up Jimr :rolleyes:[/quote']

aww honey i was only joking, i'm sorry that you felt the need to defend yourself against a rant from a person who doesn't know you.

Just so you know doing well at college isn't an indicator of intelligence, more of perseverance.

You were obviously aware of that photo in the reading '03 leaflet/day planner things? i fucking howled when i saw it. :D

of course

i submitted it

but so did nick (onlynik - or moderator fame)

and he got the free ticket

which still upsets me to this day

but what the hey

we got our mugs in the Reading program

which is pretty cool if i dont say so myself

- and to be honest i was quite impressed that they printed it... :D

aww honey i was only joking' date=' i'm sorry that you felt the need to defend yourself against a rant from a person who doesn't know you.

Just so you know doing well at college isn't an indicator of intelligence, more of perseverance.[/quote']

Would you like an IQ test? lol

of course

i submitted it

but so did nick (onlynik - or moderator fame)

and he got the free ticket

which still upsets me to this day

but what the hey

we got our mugs in the Reading program

which is pretty cool if i dont say so myself

- and to be honest i was quite impressed that they printed it... :D

thats tough luck kiddo. Yeah i saw it and was more impressed with them printing it rather than the doob....i think.:D

To quote the mars volta "everyone should be on lsd" they are also pot users.

I think you'll find that comment was very much intended to be taken with a pinch of salt and wasn't part of a well considered thesis on the value of drugs in music. I hope you're not suggesting for a minute that the reason they make great innovative music is that they smoke pot.

I think you'll find that comment was very much intended to be taken with a pinch of salt and wasn't part of a well considered thesis on the value of drugs in music. I hope you're not suggesting for a minute that the reason they make great innovative music is that they smoke pot.

oh my, thanks for helping me out with that. ;)

That was not the intention. No they are truly talented. I think it helps them though.

haha this thread is ace!!

No one from either side is ever going to agree wtih another, thats always the case, people who dont smoke pot always think they are better people ect....leave them to it. At the same time stoners will never accept a bad word said about the holy weed but again so what that is always been the way.

At the end of the day your either going to die from too much booze, something related to booze, your gona go nuts or live a boring life you decide.