aberdeen-music

Who does this offend?

GraemeC

Sorry' date=' whats not true and whats not banned?[/quote']

A real one is that teachers are no longer allowed to speak of "Brain-storming", due to the entirely obvious fact that it's offensive to epileptics.

I have reservations about the proposed replacement term, "thought-showering", on account of the many already victimised children with pathological bladder weakness...

Are we going to have to change our name to 'African-American Atom'? :(

har har har

maybe you should call yourselves

Hex={00' date='00,00} ATOM

:rockon:

My niece who is 6, tells me off for singing bah bah black sheep... Cus she says she was taught it was bad. I have to sing bah bah wooly sheep....

surely a wooly sheep would have wool ?!

so the next line is completely redundant

maybe it should be green sheep

or is that offensive to martians?

:rolleyes:

i think this whole thing is stupid.

like the gay gordons...do they no clal tht summit else now? -S

or did i imagine tht?

=/

x

Actually, the "Gay" in "Gay Gordons" is a mispronunciation of the Doric word "gey", which in the context of "Gey Gordons", means terrible or fierce, which is what the clan Gordon was known as in the past. I've never heard of any ultra-pc move to change the name of the dance.

We sing baa baa black sheep to our daughter, but we also sing a second verse:

Baa baa white sheep have you any wool

Yes sir yes sir 3 bags full

One for the jumpers and one for the frocks

And one for the little girl with holes in her socks

Regards

Flossie

i think its so stupid to ban it, i dont even think that they used black sheep because it stands out, i think they used it purely for the alliteration and its not saying anything bad about the sheep at all

Does this mean that they are going to change the expression "the pot calling the kettle black"?

its ridiculous

What offends me is the half-witted pen pushers who dream such bullshit up. Racism and intolerance are not bore of nursery rhymes, but from lack of education and enforcement by parents. I remember well the Gollywog on Golden-Shred jamjars, and my gran saving tokens to get the toy Gollywog for me and my sisters. Not one of us is in any way racist as a result, probably because our parents have always taught us tolerance and understanding of others.

eni meni minei moe(sp)

catch a tiger by the toe

when it Squeals let it go

eni meni miney moe

and you are NOT it

the word tiger replaced the word nigger in the 70's some time' date=' now is that really a bad thing???

at least there the new sounded like the old one.[/quote']

Yes thats fine....I dont have a problem with that because I think nigger is a horrible word and belongs in the dark ages.

i think its so stupid to ban it' date=' i dont even think that they used black sheep because it stands out, i think they used it purely for the alliteration and its not saying anything bad about the sheep at all

[/quote']

Exactly Happy (ha-pay) sheep changes the rhythm as well as royally fucking the aliteration. Isn't taking the black sheep out offensive to farmers who farm black sheep? Furthermore, it's a black fucking SHEEP! It's wool IS black!

EDIT: African-American is not a synonym for black (even though I know people are joking, some people seriously believe it is). Anyone hear the case of the American commentator who called an black, Austrailian athlete "African-American"? I'm hearing more and more people tell me that black isn't the PC term and while I admit it isn't exactly accurate, calling people from Zimbabwe or Jamica or France or Ireland "African-American" is just plain incorrect.

i had a Gollywog when i was younger (about 3 or 4) but my parents had to take it away coz i was absolutly petrified of it :( i am not racist' date=' and i dunno what it was they just scared the shit out of me, gave me really bad nightmares and such like[/quote']

I was really suprised when I heard that gollywogs had racist connotations! Being about 4 years old I just thought it was sweet little badge i had.

And are we not keeping racism going by making such a big deal out of a nursery rhyme. Bet none of us thought of it as being racist until we were told it was.

I was really suprised when I heard that gollywogs had racist connotations! Being about 4 years old I just thought it was sweet little badge i had.

And are we not keeping racism going by making such a big deal out of a nursery rhyme. Bet none of us thought of it as being racist until we were told it was.

See, 'cos we've been TOLD they are racist. When I was a kid, i never even thought of them as "black". You must admit though that the term "wog" is really, really horrible and, when you think about it, with their big curly hair and massive lips that Gollys were indeed gross, racist stereotypes. Maybe a product of a more misguided age than a racist one?

yeah, racism is all about how you are brought up i think

i am not racist although my older brother is hugely because he grew up mostly with his dad who was very racist. Because i grew up with our mum and my dad who arent racist in the slightest i am not (except the gollywogg thing, but i dont think thats to do with race, i think its coz they kinda resemble clowns ;( )