aberdeen-music

I'm going to London, what should I do

Guest JockeySnogger

I just wrote a fucking huge list and lost it and am already very jealous of you so grrrrr.

Covent Garden, loads of street artists, cool cafes, very relaxed, Neal Street is heaving with great shops, Urban Outfitters, Superlovers, Rokit and Rough Trade. The Rough Trade shop is downstairs from a skate shop, if you can't find it, the best thing to do is ask the staff somewhere else and they'll direct you.

From there you can walk to oxford street then up to Tottenham Court Road, home to the Astoria (my favourite venue ever) and Mean Fiddler (right next to each other) and check out a gig there. Booze is not too pricey.Here's a link to what's coming up at the Astoria

If you like comics check out Forbidden Planet at Shaftsbury Avenue, it's a huge store so be prepared to spend hours there. Another cool comic shop is Gosh at 39 Great Russel Street.

Camden is worth checking out at the weekend, Underworld is there and they have some great gigs with up and coming bands.

American Apparel just opened a store on Carnaby Street which I've yet to visit but I'm told it's pretty cool.

The Old Blue Last at 39 (or is it 38?) Great Eastern Street is a pub which Vice Magazine bought a couple of months ago. There's always something going on but never really anyway of knowing so it's worth just turning up for a pint.

The Natural History Museum is great if you can handle kids and tourist, the Dinosaurs are GREAT!!

Trash at 18 West Central Street is a great club although maybe not what you're into.

Check out the "freelondon" community on LiveJournal because it's always got info on up and coming events that are lowkey, intimate and pretty inexpensive.

Anyways, since I don't know what the purpose of your visit is, or how long you'll be there, I'll leave it at that or I'll go on forever.

Have a wicked time. *muchos jealous*

Do a tour with "The Big Bus Company"

Its good because you can get off when something takes yer fancy and catch another one later...it lets you get all the "must see" sights out of the way and its good value.

If you're into art The Tate is amazing!

oh my god.

that used to be me, up there, in maroon, pretending to know about london

tour guiding for muppets.

dont you realise its all LIES?

xx

A little off-topic but I just have to mention that I have tickets to see Nine Inch Nails play the Astoria in March. Oh, yes. :)

What is the Astoria like as a venue? Never been there before. Have been to the Mean Fiddler though. I assume the Astoria is a bit bigger.

go to the TATE it's awesome! and check out this webpage for cool gigs (if you like crazy improv stuff)...

http://www.londonimprov.com/londonimproved/index.php

if you've got cash and don't mind being scuzzy go to soho, apparently they just fling breasts and erh, oh...are you a girl?...well you can do the flinging then....supposed to be fun in a bad way...

there's too much to do, get a travel book..they really do save time and money...

b.

www.billthompson.org

A little off-topic but I just have to mention that I have tickets to see Nine Inch Nails play the Astoria in March. Oh' date=' yes. :)

What is the Astoria like as a venue? Never been there before. Have been to the Mean Fiddler though. I assume the Astoria is a bit bigger.[/quote']

the astoria holds around 2,500 people

seats upstairs, with tables for ya drinks

very pricey as always for drinks

and if u queue early u will get the pleasures of a local drunk homeless guy :)

A little off-topic but I just have to mention that I have tickets to see Nine Inch Nails play the Astoria in March. Oh' date=' yes. :)

What is the Astoria like as a venue? Never been there before. Have been to the Mean Fiddler though. I assume the Astoria is a bit bigger.[/quote']

No music discussion on the Wasteland please. Any more of this and I'll...

oh, it's you...erm, right...no, you carry on...ah...um...sorry boss...

*tugs forelock*

Guest JockeySnogger

excellent

thanks very much everyone who suggested real stuff to do in london! Unfortunately i probably wont be going to many, if any,gigs but i will be checking out quite a bit of the stuff from post number 2. thanks all the same everyone and you'll have made my trip more worthwhile.

london london london, look out beach here I come!!

I really like the Milennium Wheel. If you go later on in the afternoon the queues won't be so big. It's just a really cool, one-off experience and you get an amazing view.

From there it's really cool to walk over the Thames, past the Houses of Parliment, up past the Gov. buildings to Buckingham Palace. It's a really great walk and you're constantly going 'Oooh...there's xxx'. I thought it was really neat seeing all the people queuing to get into the public gallery at the Houses of Parliment.

I also thought that Wimbledon was really cool - but you're a bit out of season for that.

I stay in London although I'm up in Aberdeen for a week just now, have to say despite what people who've never lived there say its a very friendly city. Mainly because hardly anoyone who lives there and goes out to bars is local, they are all young people living there for a few years and enjoying the place. Its a bit like when you go on holiday and other visitors of your age tend to ask you if you can recommend good places to go, its very laid back like that.

Other god venues: The Water Rats in King's Cross for gigs, a new Marquee is now reopened in Soho but not been yet, The Garage at Camden is a great place on Saturday nights for an unpretentious and cheap place to drink and dance to indie, the St Mortiz Club in Wardour St is still a brilliant late night drinking and dancing rock and indie venue, and Portobello Road is magical for the market on Saturdays and the great sausage and mash shop with twenty different types of gravy!

Also for record shops, try Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill (one for reto clothes, one for jazz and funk, one for rock and pop) and Reckless at Angel.