aberdeen-music

World Darts Championship

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Anyone else hooked on this? It's fucking magic, I've been slavishly following it since Keith Deller shocked Eric Bristow to win it in 1983. Who do you reckon is going to win it? This could be the year Martin Adams finally does it, but I'm rather taken with the Aussie Whitlock, haven't seen a goatee like that since Alexei Lalas in the 1994 World Cup.

Guest Scorge Spike

I've been avidly watching it on the internet when not working (The joys of 2mb broadband, arf!), and I can't see past Barney for the championship. The man looks fucking invincibol, he hasn't conceeded a set yet.

The Adams/Hankey match last night was a belter, great stuff.

i've always fancied going out for a pint with the great bobby george

ray stubbs still needs slapping mind

i also believe the over enthusiastic geordie commentator syd waddell works for sky nowadays on their rival tournament, tony green is class mind, he helped me get through the 80's on bullseye along with jim bowen.

did anyone see the edition of trouble at the top a few years ago which was about the bitter break up of the organisation which used to run darts (the equivilant of the FA is footy) hence there being two world championships? it was fascinating stuff!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

They've been running a competition where you win the chance to play a game of darts with Bobby George on the stage on the day of the final (this evening). That would be magnificent. Only a few hours to go, this might just be Wolfie's year.

*rubs hands with anticipatory relish*

i love the darts. my personnel favourite is kevin painter. no appearence this year but how could you not love the colourfull shirts and beer belly? i wish i was a darts player.

Don't forget his comedy mechanical arm movements when he throws the darts!

While we are on the subject, does anyone remember Mike Gregory?? Everytime he threw a dart is eyebrows would raise, giving the impression that he was startled. He also looked like he was going to fall flat on his face evertime he was up to the ocky! Every throw a comedy gem!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I remember him, he looked like he was about to stumble over the oche every time, always gave it full mince when he threw a dart. Anyone remember the Welsh guy Ceri Morgan? He had the weirdest throw I've ever seen.

yeah mike gregory was ace, west country chap i do believe.

i think darts players should be able to drink pints and smoke whilst they're playing, i mean it is a pub game after all.

a friend of mine once played for the scottish under 16 team and got on the telly with tony green commentating, shame he played shite and lost mind! he's still bitter about it to this day