aberdeen-music

The Capitol Theatre?

jonty84

Seeing as Twoback joe was honest enough to admit to seeing a Flock of Seagulls' date=' I'll admit to also seeing Tina Turner, Cockney Rebel, the Monkees, Neil Sedaka, Joan Armatrading and Leo Sayer (some of these I was dragged in against my will.....honest, but I enjoyed some a lot).[/quote']

Well, if the old farts are getting all confessional, then I might as well admit to also having been at The Monkees, and also at Jethro Tull...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman

Saw many films there, also seen chuck berry twice, lenny henry and think my dad played there as a member of a support band for the MIGHTY...

marmalade%20june68.jpg

MARMALADE... who may have been known as The Gaylords at the time.

*cough* *cough* Bobby Vee

Cat Food ----You should let Lenny of the Downroads know about your Dad supporting Dean Ford & the Gaylords....he's well into that sort of thing. He got excited when I told him I'd seen Gully Foyle support Hawkwind c.71.

I've vague memories of a third act on the bill (was it Ian & Lorna?)

*cough* *cough* Bobby Vee

Cat Food ----You should let Lenny of the Downroads know about your Dad supporting Dean Ford & the Gaylords....he's well into that sort of thing. He got excited when I told him I'd seen Gully Foyle support Hawkwind c.71.

was that @ the cowdray hall, if so I was the child that wasn't stoned out my box..........

until I passively smoked every fuckers joints. I have never ever seen anything like it!!!!!!!

You're both right' date=' really. The Smiths played three times in Aberdeen -

4th March 1984 in The Palace, but it was actually called Fusion then.

16th June 1984 in The Capitol.

30th September 1985 in the Capitol.

I was at the two Capitol gigs. The first one only lasted three or four songs until the crowd pulled Morrisey off the stage while he was rolling about, he took the huff and stormed off and that was it. Second one was fantastic though.

I have a feeling I have bootlegs somewhere...[/quote']

Apologies I had forgotten about that aborted capital gig, i luckely missed it. Contrary to

others the Fusion or Palais gig was awesome, based on one peel session & one single

(hand in glove), the place was crammed to the rafters. The Smiths were never better live

was that @ the cowdray hall' date=' if so I was the child that wasn't stoned out my box..........

until I passively smoked every fuckers joints. I have never ever seen anything like it!!!!!!![/quote']

Indeed it was.....I was the even younger (nyah, nyah!!) child who, with his mates, thought you could get stoned by sticking lit joss-sticks in his mouth. Great night though!! Can you remember the exact year?

Apologies I had forgotten about that aborted capital gig' date=' i luckely missed it. Contrary to

others the Fusion or Palais gig was awesome, based on one peel session & one single

(hand in glove), the place was crammed to the rafters. The Smiths were never better live[/quote']

The palais was a different place altogether on Diamond street....fusion was the palace ballroom.

I saw some great bands at the Palace/Fusion.....eg the Fall, Richard Thompson, The Three Johns, Pretenders, Thin Lizzy, the Undertones, Spacemen 3 etc

Apologies for straying off the Capitol......I've come over all nostalgic. Just don't start me on the Venue (Pixies, Throwing Muses, Husker Du, Jesus & Mary Chain etc etc etc)!!!!

I saw some great bands at the Palace/Fusion.....eg the Fall' date=' Richard Thompson, The Three Johns, Pretenders, Thin Lizzy, the Undertones, Spacemen 3 etc

Apologies for straying off the Capitol......I've come over all nostalgic. Just don't start me on the Venue (Pixies, Throwing Muses, Husker Du, Jesus & Mary Chain etc etc etc)!!!![/quote']

the Fall @ the palace /fusion was the best ive ever seen them play

The venue was amazing, we were at most those, but also @ The Venue, New Order (1st tour after JD), Misty in Roots. Altered Images etc

get even more nostalgic............the remarkable venue called Ruffles.

And not forgetting The Stranglers (with Simple Minds as support)' date=' The Cure (with Altered Images as support) and....erm....Athletico Spizz 80.[/quote']

aye the stranglers walked off stage @ one point coz they got gobbed to bits, the roof was dripping, was that not spizz energi?

and what about the amazing SLITS

was that not spizz energi?

It may well have been' date=' though I'm pretty sure the gig was in 1980 so they'd have made the switch. I have an over-riding memory of the PA failing during Captain Kirk and Spizz conducting the crowd in a singalong. Good gig.

and what about the amazing SLITS

Never made that one. As I was underage at the time, it was always hit or miss whether I'd get into Ruffles for gigs.

Husker Du played in Aberdeen?!!!!?????!!!?

you're kidding me.

you really are kidding me' date=' right?[/quote']

Victoria Hotel, Aberdeen Scotland

03/15/86

(Flip Your Wig / Every Everything / Makes No Sense at All / Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill /

I Apologize / If I Told You / Folklore / Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely / I Don't Know For Sure /

Terms Of Psychic Warfare / Powerline / Books About UFOs / Hardly Getting Over It /

Dead Set On Destruction / Eiffel Tower High / Green Eyes / Celebrated Summer / Keep Hanging On //

Love Is All Around)

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/7147/hdcomp.html

Strangely I never saw a single band at the Capitol, although I remember the posters outside for all sorts of bands / comedians etc. However I used to see lots of world cinema / foreign films there.

This was of course, before Oscars moved in. I guess the Capitol closed in 1995 or 1996 and Oscars was opened in 97ish or so and closed about 5 years later. Then it became another beer factory with a different name or two...

Dave

Strangely I never saw a single band at the Capitol' date=' although I remember the posters outside for all sorts of bands / comedians etc. However I used to see lots of world cinema / foreign films there.

This was of course, before Oscars moved in. I guess the Capitol closed in 1995 or 1996 and Oscars was opened in 97ish or so and closed about 5 years later. Then it became another beer factory with a different name or two...

Dave[/quote']

I never saw much bands at the Capitol - but this had more to do with being under 18 & living in Buckie. Only saw Big Country in 89 & 91 (was due to see them in 90 as well but it got cancelled), Iron Maiden around 1990 and The Black Crowes in 1991.

To be honest, I wouldn't cross the road to see any of those bands now.

Still, it was a dcent venue - and looking at the Carling Academy in Glasgow annoys me a bit as it makes me think about what could have been done instead of turning it into that crappy nightclub/bar/shithole it is now.

I never saw much bands at the Capitol - but this had more to do with being under 18 & living in Buckie. Only saw Big Country in 89 & 91 (was due to see them in 90 as well but it got cancelled)' date=' Iron Maiden around 1990 and The Black Crowes in 1991.

To be honest, I wouldn't cross the road to see any of those bands now.

Still, it was a dcent venue - and looking at the Carling Academy in Glasgow annoys me a bit as it makes me think about what could have been done instead of turning it into that crappy nightclub/bar/shithole it is now.[/quote']

Yes I believe that Chesney Hawkes* played recently in the crappy new place. NB I did not say sang there.

Dave

* or some of equal rank...